• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Carnivorous Plants

For feeding, I usually stick the fly in a jar in the refridgerator. Once they are asleep, I pull them out and quickly put them in a trap. The trap will close, the fly will wake up and start to struggle causing the trap to close even more. Sometimes you can hear the flies confussion and then terror.

stillmanz said:
Pam from my reading this is what I would do.
Take it out of the plastic bubble give it a good drink of distilled water put it in a window that gets good sun and then see what happens.
Everyobne that I have talked to or read from says actually feeding these things insects is like a nuber 2 out of 10 for survival especially when its stressed. From what I gather its like a suplement . Aparently the main thing is strong light, good water, and decent soil medium.
You should check out this site, cobraplants.com. He leaves them out in the snow,
the thing with fly traps is they are a temperate plant not necesarily a tropical one.
Any way this is just reading that I have done,
not my personal experiences.
But I liked the way jacob from cobra plants basically just said check out were they come from reproduce that rather than what you think they would like.
Mick
Tis a good website, thanks for the link!

imaguitargod said:
For feeding, I usually stick the fly in a jar in the refridgerator. Once they are asleep, I pull them out and quickly put them in a trap. The trap will close, the fly will wake up and start to struggle causing the trap to close even more. Sometimes you can hear the flies confussion and then terror.

Ok, well, thanks for taking the joy outta feeding the plants there, imaguitargod. Now I'll have to feel guilty!

Will they eat slugs? I don't care about their terror and confusion.

How 'bout aphids?

Pam said:
Ok, well, thanks for taking the joy outta feeding the plants there, imaguitargod. Now I'll have to feel guilty!
That is the joy for me....well, that and watching them eat "naturally" without my intervention ;)

Pam said:
Will they eat slugs? I don't care about their terror and confusion.
Don't feed them slugs, remember what I said about don't fead them anything that can eat the VFT ;)

Well, you could chop off the head then feed the body to the trap, they would like that.

Pam said:
How 'bout aphids?
Ya, they'll eat aphids, might be too small for the VFT's though.

Pam said:
I just caught myself reading up on bog gardens for the backyard.
Somebody help me!
:shame: Will will get no help from me....unless you want to build it, then I'll be right over :lol:

I too looked at building one, they are surprisingly easy.

GrumpyBear said:
yea, i've been reading up on it too... i'm gonna do it one day when mum isn't around to ask a lot of questions...

Eh, just do what I do. Try her up in the basement and feed her fish heads until the project is done....

Mmmm....fish head, fish heads, rolly polly fish heads............eat the up yum!

Good news! My little Venus Fly Trap is putting out a new leaf. It's under the florescent lights now, and I hope to be able to move it outside and repot it sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Pam said:
Good news! My little Venus Fly Trap is putting out a new leaf. It's under the florescent lights now, and I hope to be able to move it outside and repot it sometime in the next couple of weeks.
COOL! Where's the pictures of it? ;)

stillmanz said:
I here the best soil mix is 50% peat 50% perlite.
Nope. It all depends on what types of CP you are growing. Generally the best of VFT's is 60% Sphagnum, 30% Peat, and 10% Perlite. Drosera's like 50% Sphagnum, 20% Peat, and 30% Sand.

Definitely going to get me some of those "CP's" for my garden.

Ill get in touch with that mob you posted the link to stillmanz.

These look like some fun to have in the garden. :cool:

IGG thats not what Barry Rice said ....lol

BB it just so happens I am now the VFT business ...
I got a couple hundred Pink Venus and royal reds and red piranhas (its a long story)
I'll put a couple under lights for you next time we catch up.

Back