• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Carolina Reaper confirmed the world's hottest pepper

hottoddy said:

I don't see anyone in this thread is saying it's a Primo, or another chile pepper in disguise.  Maybe I missed it.  It seems many see the "naga x habanero" cross claim as quite perplexing - given the strong similarities to other varieties.  Either way, it's cool to see a new cross get the record. Congrats!

megahot said:
All we are saying. Is how in the world to you get a Reaper from a Habanero and a Naga??? The two together just dont add up. It reminds me of breeding a barracuda with a dolphin and somehow you get a great white shark. Im not saying its not true it just doesnt make sense.

I think it's pretty clear what the intention is: secrecy.  That's his choice and a reflection of personal style.  I think some people on here are not frustrated that he's done the work of making the cross and then growing out massive amount of plants, or with the people who've helped him, but with the lack of transparency regarding the varieties involved in the cross.  Again, that's just personal style, and it pisses some people off.

Many of us are aware of the pool of superhots (i.e., TSMB, Brainstrain, Douglah etc.), we are also aware of how stressing particular plants affects capsaicin levels.  It doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to imagine which peppers could be used or which growing techniques help get the high SHU counts.  "Habanero" is probably code for 7 Pot or Trinidad Scorpion of some sort, "Naga" is probably code for Dorset Naga or something like that. 

The 7 Pot Primo itself is a similar kind of cross, but the creator of that has let people know how it came about.  That's just his style.

Seems like a good time to chime in here.

The Carolina Reaper is the HP22B "A" strain ? (and that's what the title was allocated to?)

So, what's all this business with the other "strains" ? If they exist, and have for a while, and they are hotter than the A strain, why not use them to try and obtain the title ?

(What exactly is meant by a strain in this context anyway ?)

Well done to all involved I say, BUT, nobody likes to hear "I told you so".

I'd like to try to grow this chilli, but I'm not sure I have the right conditions to bring out its true potential (my better half put down one of my brain strains, immediately followed by one of my Douglahs, straight off the bush mind you, and barely battered an eye lid) :shocked:

Congrats to Mr. Currie.  I met him at ZestFest in the DFW area last year and he was a very nice guy.  Well, other than the fact he seemed to take evil pleasure in trying to kill people by tasting his pepper. lol.  I have a heck of a time trying to grow superhots around these parts, and have only been somewhat successful.  I'll try his Reaper again this year for sure.

they'll sell more seed by holding the hotter ones back should they actually exist. once reaper sales slow down they move on to marketing the next "world's hottest pepper".

Congratulations Ed. I met Ed at Jungle Jim's. He is a really nice guy. I just don't understand why so many people are against him and the Carolina Reaper. He's jumped through all the hoops and proved that the Reaper is the hottest chile. If any one else has anything hotter then they can do the same thing.

The "A" strain is just a gen level. He has I believe up to H (that I know of). 
Ocho there is typically one thing that causes that kind of outlook on a guy like ed and it is typically due to jealousy. Period

I did find out none of our 2013 peppers are or were part of the testing. The results were from 2012 and down.
 submitted data from 2008-2012 in two seperate packages, they accepted the 2010-2012 data.

Ocho Cinco said:
The seeds that Joe was selling are the same that Ed was selling.
After speaking to Ed recently, I don't think this is correct. He insinuated as if they are packaged different between himself and joe
carolina seed from Ed of course, but joe alwaysgot angry and mentioned ed packaged everything

Up to H strain ?

A through H makes 8 generations by my count.

2013 back to 2008 is 6 years (inclusive).

So, 8 generations in 6 years? (A genuine question without malice since I do not know much about what's possible or not). 

Also, if the plant needs to be stable before relying on it to try and set a record, say something like 5 generations (?), then we potentially go back to HP22B "A" strain coming into existence about 2003 - a decade ago. Does that make sense ?

So, having said all that, and coming back to the original topic, I can see how much time Ed and co have put into this endeavour so can't blame them for persisting. They must have a smile as big as the chesire cat !

I don't think that the letters correspond to what generation they are. I think that each letter is a slightly different strain. The strain wouldn't change from generation to generation. I don't know really. It's pretty confusing to me. 

teejay said:
Up to H strain ?

A through H makes 8 generations by my count.

2013 back to 2008 is 6 years (inclusive).

So, 8 generations in 6 years? (A genuine question without malice since I do not know much about what's possible or not). 

Also, if the plant needs to be stable before relying on it to try and set a record, say something like 5 generations (?), then we potentially go back to HP22B "A" strain coming into existence about 2003 - a decade ago. Does that make sense ?

So, having said all that, and coming back to the original topic, I can see how much time Ed and co have put into this endeavour so can't blame them for persisting. They must have a smile as big as the chesire cat !

If you have grow lights or access to a greenhouse, you could probably grow 3 generations a year.
Well, we are talking C. chinense... so maybe 2... well more than 1 a year at any rate :drunk:

If I am getting off topic, please boot me into the right direction:

There is such a thing as the scientific method. I'd be certain many here would know what I'm talking about.

With this, and modern tools like HPLC, and all the controversy about HP22B = 7 Pot Primo (which is a box I do NOT want to open here, but merely reinforce its existence), is it not possible to actually compare the profile of the two chilli for their chemical constituents and put the issue to bed ? (assuming we don't have to mortgage the farm to do so).

I am not a chemist. I do not know if HPLC can even do this. But, would it not be possible for one grower who has both types to send some pods from the same soil mix, same fertiliser, same solar irradiance and general weather condition, etc, to find out?

I get the feeling some will probably frown over that, but can't Guiness provide top 3 at any given time to minimise the number of people who *might* get their noses out of joint with all this record business ?

Having said all that, I haven't forgotten that we are talking about chilli's the likes of which my insides would probably not cope with, so all due respect is implied in my words. (If you are reading this Ed, or Primo, your products are what I aspire to grow well, irrespective of whether one comes with 1 or 2 percent of the other for heat - both look AWESOME)

I'm growing the 7 Pot Primo, but not the HP22B. If it didn't set me back an arm and a leg, and I felt I knew what I was doing, I would volunteer to do the growing and sending, but, crawl before you can walk and all that...)

Regards to all,

Tim

teejay said:

There is such a thing as the scientific method. I'd be certain many here would know what I'm talking about.

With this, and modern tools like HPLC, and all the controversy about HP22B = 7 Pot Primo (which is a box I do NOT want to open here, but merely reinforce its existence), is it not possible to actually compare the profile of the two chilli for their chemical constituents and put the issue to bed ? (assuming we don't have to mortgage the farm to do so).

I am not a chemist. I do not know if HPLC can even do this. But, would it not be possible for one grower who has both types to send some pods from the same soil mix, same fertiliser, same solar irradiance and general weather condition, etc, to find out?

I get the feeling some will probably frown over that, but can't Guiness provide top 3 at any given time to minimise the number of people who *might* get their noses out of joint with all this record business ?

Having said all that, I haven't forgotten that we are talking about chilli's the likes of which my insides would probably not cope with, so all due respect is implied in my words. (If you are reading this Ed, or Primo, your products are what I aspire to grow well, irrespective of whether one comes with 1 or 2 percent of the other for heat - both look AWESOME)

I'm growing the 7 Pot Primo, but not the HP22B. If it didn't set me back an arm and a leg, and I felt I knew what I was doing, I would volunteer to do the growing and sending, but, crawl before you can walk and all that...)

Regards to all,

Tim

Is it hard to get seed to Australia from the US? Pricey?  I've only sent seed within the US and it's only a few stamps to be assured they arrive.

teejay said:

Regards to all,

Tim

As far as I know, there aren't any genetic markers which could be used to identify a 7 Pot Brainstrain from a 7 Pot Barrackpore from a 7 Pot Primo etc... they're all C. chinense and probably very, very similar in terms of DNA.  Besides, what would be the "scientific" reason for this?  This is a marketing issue as far as I can tell.

mmcdermott1 said:
yes if you want put at the front of the priority list you can pay for that. Nothing evil about that.

Im not a scientist so you'll have to ask Ed on the tail but I know what the cross is and it is factual. Won't argue about it with you.
"front of the priority list" So Ed Bribed Guinness? Well I think that's what Most people would call it.

I have studied genetics for like 30 years and Genetics don't lie.

I under stand A and H strain as F1 to F8 is Full brother-sister matting not a field of plants that are same Gen but not individually isolated when Breed at lest that's is IMO and why I think there so much pheno variations in the Reapers some people have gotten.

It's not hard, but VERY costly - there's a thread elsewhere discussing importing into Australia and the number of people who don't like it.

I can get the HP22B, but I won't go on record saying why I won't at the moment. I wouldn't want anyone to misinterpret me about Ed's glory at the moment.

If I could get the "real deal", i would be happy to volunteer my time and effort to grow it directly alongside my Primo's. But, I have probably 150 odd plants at the moment I'm caring for and I don't think I could grow enough reapers to get a big enough harvest to be useful - you know, the one versus many philosophy.

Is the general idea worth pitching to the whole THP community, or is it a hand grenade?

teejay yields to Mr Hill on the matter, other than to say I thought scientificc evidence could be *proof*. Isn't that what the Guinness record needs ?

But, personally, I grow for looks more than heat - most 7 pots make me sweat thinking about them ( I use the example of 7 pot's based on comment from Spicegeist)

Back