• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

I went 1/5 on the seeds I tried starting. Started soaking seeds on Dec 24th. Plant is fairly compact due to being about 3' below a 1000w mh bulb running 18/6. Feeding is 15mins every 3hrs for now.

img00361201302122034.jpg

img00362201302122034.jpg

Hi,

I've been reading this topic with great interest! My Reaper seeds are on day 7 and still 0/6, but I have faith, the Habaneros took 14-18 days to sprout.

I have a few questions, I see different varieties planted next to each other in the pics. Any cross polination issues? Advice on how to avoid cross polination? I know I've wound up with some pretty hot bells in years past.

Also, living south of San Antonio where it gets pretty darned hot, I have experienced definite heat and pod size differences depending on the time of year. Heat of the summer=hotter, smaller pods.

I'm real interested to see how these Reapers perform in full sun during the heat of the summer...

Cross pollination will only become apparent when you grow out seeds from the immediate pods on your plants (ie plants from your saved seeds) Cross pollination will not make the immediate generation pods taste or look any different.
Ie if some pollen from a Trinidad scorpion Fertalisers a bell pepper flower the resulting bell pepper will look or taste no different from a normal bell pepper. If you saved the seeds out of that bell pepper and grew some plants the next season that is where you may start seeing differences. I hope that makes sense??

armac: From Mid July until late August my peppers have a hard time, wilting in the afternoon heat and reduced production. They also get sun scald (the pods), so I built a frame and use a 30% sun screen starting last year which has helped. The garden gets full sun all day. Any suggestions?

Trippa: Thanks for the info!

armac: From Mid July until late August my peppers have a hard time, wilting in the afternoon heat and reduced production. They also get sun scald (the pods), so I built a frame and use a 30% sun screen starting last year which has helped. The garden gets full sun all day. Any suggestions?

Trippa: Thanks for the info!

start a thread, so as not to junk up this grow log.

i live further south than you, it is hot down here

I'm not a pro at identifying peppers but I was watching a couple videos on YouTube and Ted barrus reviewed a strain from ed Currie and it was fatalli crossed with a reaper and from what I saw it looks nearly exactly like that picture of the yellow pod. Maybe a rogue seed was dropped into a batch of reaper seeds. Go take a look for yourself see what you think

I finally have one each up and running...nothing much to report yet other than true leaves just coming in, if all goes well I will be able to do some side by sides later in the season...

Devv used to live in Carrizo Springs...and McAllen. I feel your pain brother, its hot there. Be more than happy to help you out if I can. You should go to the welcome section and introduce yourself and then start a topic in the growing section with your questions about setup! Lot of folks grow well in Tx, Nm, Az, Nv...not to mention all those down under folks.

The Reaper under my light just split off and is getting too big, so I potted it up to a 3 gallon grow bag and am putting it out on the balcony tomorrow. Lots of buds popping out of each node.
auZ7cBj.jpg

To compare to the plants that grew from the seeds I purchased, I planted one of the seeds from the strange smooth Reaper with no stinger that Lock grew. It has just now hooked.
E7yNK8w.jpg

So, I have a few Reaper plants going, and just sowed 14 more seeds....
They seem to have lower germination rates than the others I have planted.
Also, they are definately growing slower than the Giant Bhuts, Morugas, Butch T's and everything else that were sown at the same time, and under the exact same conditions.

I see that lots of folks in this glog are also growing Primos, and hoping to compare them.
I looked around, just a little bit, but am wondering where you get Primo seeds?
I'm thinking those Primos look like a great pod to grow.
Any help guiding me towards Primo seeds for sale, or trade,would be greatly appreciated.
I don't have any seeds worth trading, but I am a glassblower, and might be able to custom make something to trade.
Thanks for any help!
Chris

Back