• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

You guys are really tempting me to start my CR's and Primos. Must...resist...Don't want 3 foot plants indoors in January.

I'm in the same boat Doc, if I started them now, I wouldnt be able to put them outdoors until mid March. I'm thinking they'd be huge by then haha.

RtCJy.jpg

This was taken using my iPhone 4 with a lens from a laser pointer taped to it. You can see the third and forth leaves growing in. I started germinating one of the last few days of August.

I got 7 of 9 to sprout, I killed one trying to remove the seed from the leaves.

uCMPe.jpg

Edit: planted seeds on 8/29 they started to sprout on 9/6

Got a few seeds out of my first pack from puckerbutt in the soil sent me the wrong seeds the first time but they took care of it. Got two more packs of seeds in the mail from Pepper Joe with some neat extra seeds thrown in yesterday. He was lightning fast getting them out and was surprised how fast they showed up. So now I have lots of Reaper seeds. Plan on getting a few going and saving the rest for outside to start in Feb. will let you know when mine get going.

Jason

had mine in a paper towel and they were showing no signs of sprouting, for like 1.5 weeks but so were my moruga nothing was happening. 1 of my moruga started to root about quarter inch long root so I slapped them all into soil. After 2 days that moruga is peaking out. I should have kept better timing on when I put the hp22b in the towel. I might throw 4 more directly in dirt on my heating mat under my light with the others and see what happens.

I'm giving mine a few weeks to see what happens. I'm hopeful. I'll keep you guys posted when they are going.

I just put the seeds I received into a water/hydrogen peroxide mix and put it on a heating pad. I've already prepped several styrofoam cups to germinate the seeds when they're ready :)

hey kid this is a growing thread not a watch me eat this pepper like everyone else thread.

And yet the McDermots video was posted. I posted mine for the same reason, in response to KevinH's post. I'd also prefer not to be referred to as 'kid' if you don't mind. I work pretty damned hard to maintain myself as an intelligent young man, I make videos for the sole purpose of educating the community, and I don't make a red cent off of it, I'd think you could at least show enough respect to refer to me by name.

And yet the McDermots video was posted. I posted mine for the same reason, in response to KevinH's post. I'd also prefer not to be referred to as 'kid' if you don't mind. I work pretty damned hard to maintain myself as an intelligent young man, I make videos for the sole purpose of educating the community, and I don't make a red cent off of it, I'd think you could at least show enough respect to refer to me by name.
Did i post that video on here? Not sure why people are posting their videos on a growing thread Jake. Show me some pics of the reaper being grown please and not eaten.

Mcdermott's ate one. They said it was pretty tasty.

Would rather see a video of it being grown on this thread and not eaten please.

Fair enough, but we were just trying to provide a response to Kevin's question. My response to you was a little harsh, and for that I apologize. It's been a long day.

Fair enough, but we were just trying to provide a response to Kevin's question. My response to you was a little harsh, and for that I apologize. It's been a long day.
It's all good, just try and keep this thread on growing please. One of mine sprouted today after 3 weeks. 1 out of 3 is not too bad.

Back