• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

randyp said:
   Good luck,I hope they grow true for ya.They are tasty but HOT... ;)

Yes, very tasty, but as you mentioned, hot!

Randy grew some kick-ass Reapers this year with some really nice true looking pods!

Hi everybody new here! Ran across this thread while contemplating my Reaper experience. My plants came from Pepper Joe seeds .  Seemed to have three discint pod shapes. Not really complaining since it gave me variety. From last year I kept 5 plants alive outside (Im in CT) by building a shanty greenhouse around them from 1x2's and plastic. Used an oil filled heater to warm them.
21jdrbs.jpg

Heres a pic of the three pod shapes on the plants. The chocolate 'll explain in a minute...

2myp6k4.jpg

The one on top left came from a plant I call Mama Reaper. Big funky pods but incredibly prolific! I picked 1300 peppers off her this year since July alone. The middle ones I nicknamed Ghost Reapers. Prolific too but nowhere near mama Reaper. The last plant has pods is true to Reaper form.

Now from the seeds off Mama reaper which I thought were isolated during the winter in the shanty I grew a bunch of plants. Three of which had  chocolate pods and very hot! - tasty too!(pictured at bottom of above pic) Im wintering over two of them inside at the moment.
    My poor two year olds outside will die soon. Cant do another shanty greenhouse-too much electricity... Too bad . They are over 6 feet tall and 7-8 feet wide now....Well thats my experience. Bob

1939448_10152711088322211_4367892623557557983_n.jpg

BobR,

Wow those 2 year old plants sound very large.  Would hate to watch them die off!.   I grew some reapers seeds from Pepper Joe last year as well and had 3 different shapes.  One was the normal reaper shape, one was like the reaper shape, but smoother and the other was similar to your middle one, but a bit smaller and smoother.   I called it my funky reaper.  Very prolific and very hot, so I was not to upset about the shape.

Normal shape 2013
DSC_0011_zpsf49f886a.jpg

Smooth Reaper shape 2013
DSC_0003_zpsb36fb700.jpg

Funky Reaper Shape 2013
FunkyReapers_zps813a3158.jpg

I saved seeds from the regular Reaper pods and grew a few plants this year.  The one that produced normal pods shapes and color was not very productive, but again had the heat.  But another one of them is producing burgundy colored pods.  Not the true reaper shape, but  they also have a good amount of heat. 

2014 reaper shapes and color  -- Must have crossed with something!
Reapers_zps522023bf.jpg

bpwilly said:
BobR,

Wow those 2 year old plants sound very large.  Would hate to watch them die off!.   I grew some reapers seeds from Pepper Joe last year as well and had 3 different shapes.  One was the normal reaper shape, one was like the reaper shape, but smoother and the other was similar to your middle one, but a bit smaller and smoother.   I called it my funky reaper.  Very prolific and very hot, so I was not to upset about the shape.

Normal shape 2013
DSC_0011_zpsf49f886a.jpg

Smooth Reaper shape 2013
DSC_0003_zpsb36fb700.jpg

Funky Reaper Shape 2013
FunkyReapers_zps813a3158.jpg

I saved seeds from the regular Reaper pods and grew a few plants this year.  The one that produced normal pods shapes and color was not very productive, but again had the heat.  But another one of them is producing burgundy colored pods.  Not the true reaper shape, but  they also have a good amount of heat. 

2014 reaper shapes and color  -- Must have crossed with something!
Reapers_zps522023bf.jpg

Wow so many variations from one pepper. Wonder if its more stable now. BTW-Nice yellow !    Im hoping to isolate the chocolate ones now in the basement. I grew no chocolate peppers -ever so the variation wasnt from cross beeding on my end I dont think. Heres the two year olds earlier in the year. Bigger but soon to become history now.  Bob
242zdll.jpg

Very nice healthy looking plants.  I have yet to get a pepper plant to grow that large.     It will be interesting to see if you can isolate the Choc Reaper and get it to come out the same next year.  It is fun to see what additional shapes and colors this pepper will produce.   At least the flavor and heat is steady.

organic pepper said:
Awesome looking plants! 

bpwilly said:
Very nice healthy looking plants.  I have yet to get a pepper plant to grow that large.     It will be interesting to see if you can isolate the Choc Reaper and get it to come out the same next year.  It is fun to see what additional shapes and colors this pepper will produce.   At least the flavor and heat is steady.

Thanks- it wasnt easy in CT to get them through the winter -at least not with my makeshift "greenhouse" I built around them.

I was just staring out the window at them. A hard frost might be here by Saturday... Well out with the old I guess. 

A pic of the outside of my "greenhouse" last year.
33lp6yu.jpg

Well at least I have the two plants under lights in the cellar. Not the same as keeping in-ground plants alive but something to do. Bob

Bob,

For me, the best part about this pepper growing addiction is seeing the differences each of us experience.  There sure does not seem to be a single right way, more like many right ways and many "not so right" ways, and then we get to add the instability factor of many of these new crosses into the mix and see what actually happens.  I have not tried over wintering anything yet, as my house does not have much sun exposure, so unless I plug in a bunch of lights, I am just slowly killing them.

I might try to see if one will last in the green house, as I have a couple of established plants in there that seem to handle the lack of heat each winter.  I have a Meyers lemon tree, a lime tree and they seem to survive my abuse each year.  Might have to see if I can fit a few more plants in there.

Hello Everyone. I'm from Belgium and I'm new to growing peppers but I'm trying to grow the reaper. I bought my seeds from Puckerbutt and planted them around 15th of February.
I let them sprout in a propagator but they just aren't growing too well. I'm a student so I don't have a lot of money to spend on my plants but I do my best.

The room temperature is around 21°Celcius, which is around 70° Fahrenheit. I've potted them in coco peat soil and keep them under an 18watt fluorescent light for around 16hrs a day. In this country there is almost no sun at this time of year but I put them in the sun whenever I can. I feed them Chilli Focus and water but I don't water them often because the coco stays wet for a LONG time.

I think there's something wrong with the leaves, I'll upload some pictures. Anyone who can help? Or just some tips..?
[img]http://postimg.org/image/61j9e4uyj/[/img]
[img]http://postimg.org/image/mdtb3v9a3/[/img]
[img]http://s17.postimg.org/ez3zbhnen/IMG_2473.jpg[/img]
[img]http://s17.postimg.org/ga7567tmn/IMG_2472.jpg[/img]

Here's a pic of one of the pods hanging on one of my "Chocolate Reapers" I wintered and just put back in the ground last week. Im hoping to soon have a pic of it ripened and brown! During the wintering -(a few months in my basement fighting off aphids lol) I managed to grow a pod in isolation. I started two plants from the seeds so Im hoping to have second generation "Coco Reapers" as Ive dubbed them. Bob
11063737_10153194319662211_7482468723103295086_n.jpg

BelgianPepper said:
Hello Everyone. I'm from Belgium and I'm new to growing peppers but I'm trying to grow the reaper. I bought my seeds from Puckerbutt and planted them around 15th of February.
I let them sprout in a propagator but they just aren't growing too well. I'm a student so I don't have a lot of money to spend on my plants but I do my best.

The room temperature is around 21°Celcius, which is around 70° Fahrenheit. I've potted them in coco peat soil and keep them under an 18watt fluorescent light for around 16hrs a day. In this country there is almost no sun at this time of year but I put them in the sun whenever I can. I feed them Chilli Focus and water but I don't water them often because the coco stays wet for a LONG time.

I think there's something wrong with the leaves, I'll upload some pictures. Anyone who can help? Or just some tips..?
[img]http://postimg.org/image/61j9e4uyj/[/img]
[img]http://postimg.org/image/mdtb3v9a3/[/img]
[img]http://s17.postimg.org/ez3zbhnen/IMG_2473.jpg[/img]
[img]http://s17.postimg.org/ga7567tmn/IMG_2472.jpg[/img]
Given your situation, your plants are looking ok. Your temperatures are ok, but could be warmer. A few things on coco. Coco is not soil and there are a few rules to follow if you want to use it as a root zone medium.

- Coco can offer an extremely good ratio of water to air, but coco peat is a very fine grind of coco. From what I've seen it's almost like an espresso grind. I've had a few brands of coco like this (Royal Gold Coco and Canna Coco) and don't really care for it. For pepper plants I prefer a much larger grind that allows water to freely drain through. In fact, I actually ran all my Royal Gold and Canna Coco through a fine mesh to remove all but the larger chunks of coco.

- Coco does not contain any nutrients. You must feed your plants with every watering. You need a complete nutrient system with coco. It's closer to hydro than soil and I don't believe Chilli Focus will provide the plants with what they need. Sure, your plants will grow, but they will really lag compared soil and especially to a what coco specific nutrient system could provide. Check out a hydroponics store and see what you can get on a students budget. It's tough I know. I have enough years of post secondary education that I should be a doctor. I'm not, but I SHOULD be! I believe CNS17 is a European formula (although I'm not sure what it's called there). It's a one part system that will provide your plants with all they need.

- Coco tends to lock up calcium and is why most coco specific nutrients have extra calcium added.

- Coco requires that you ph your nutrients and that you never give plain water. You should be around 5.5-6.2.

Don't take this the wrong way because you certainly can grow plants in coco without using any sort of nutrient, but you simply wont get a plant to achieve all it can.

You definitely need more light. This isn't coco specific. You just need more light.

Here is my Reaper being transplanted from a 16oz solo cup to a 5" square pot. I used a few different nutrients to get it to where this picture was take, but one of them was CNS17. I'm using it almost exclusively for this grow because I have 4L of Grow and 4L of Bloom it on hand.

Neil

BobR said:
Here's a pic of one of the pods hanging on one of my "Chocolate Reapers" I wintered and just put back in the ground last week. Im hoping to soon have a pic of it ripened and brown! During the wintering -(a few months in my basement fighting off aphids lol) I managed to grow a pod in isolation. I started two plants from the seeds so Im hoping to have second generation "Coco Reapers" as Ive dubbed them. Bob
11063737_10153194319662211_7482468723103295086_n.jpg
BobR

Congrats on successfully overwintering the Chocolate Reaper.  Looking very healthy and raring to go!   Will be interesting to see how this progresses.

bpwilly said:
BobR

Congrats on successfully overwintering the Chocolate Reaper.  Looking very healthy and raring to go!   Will be interesting to see how this progresses.

Thanks! If the weather turns toasty soon it will be ripening up quickly. I dont recall the "Coco Reaper" having such a Reaper shaped pod last year. More importantly is waiting all season to see what the second generation plants do!

BobR said:

Thanks! If the weather turns toasty soon it will be ripening up quickly. I dont recall the "Coco Reaper" having such a Reaper shaped pod last year. More importantly is waiting all season to see what the second generation plants do!

Pods will generally have better form and size on the second year provided there OW is successful.

Back