• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

Thank You.jpg

THANKS for the post Dale.
Do me a big favor....when you have hundreds of Ripe Carolina Reaper Pods....take some pics and post them here on THP showing that many pods. That would be awesome.
Other than Ed Currie, no one else has ever posted a huge amount of Pods with the bumpy texture and the tails. That should be pretty impactful.
You have a fabulous looking grow operation there.
I'm getting a bunch of request for Reaper Pods to sell....so I'll send that business your way when you have dried pods.
Fiery Regards,
Pepper Joe

I caved today. I originally declared a moratorium on germinating any more seeds before moving up to Jupiter, but this morning, I put almost 40 Reaper seeds into Jiffy Peat Pellets for germination. They're now in a tray on a heating pad and under a CFL bulb :)

Even if I get 25% of them to pop, that'll be exactly enough to put into my DWC system. And I can also bring any extra to work, pot one up, and sell the rest

2013 is going to be my first try with the Reaper. I started about 8 seedlings and gave away all but two. This was the status of them on 5-3-13. It is cold and cloudy in Georgia. We need some sunshine and warm weather!

Big Mike
Visit us Online: www.knot2worry.us

20130503reaper.jpg

I set out 6, all 6 popped, lost 1 to dampening, my fault. So IMHO they germ well, mine were from Pepperjoe's. I sowed them in early Feb. They are just now flowering. Pics when worthy...of showing some poddage..

So if your timeframe tracks, I should be getting flowers/pods by August :)

gallery_5729_82_444369.jpg

Won't be long now...primos are a little behind, but they're almost there too! Hope mine turn out BA like all of y'alls!

Looking awesome! :)

Dale I'm afraid I have to disagree with your observation that those pods look like the representative photos of the Carolina Reaper. They don't appear to have the bumpiness that Ronin and Periperi's pods have either. If pods from all three of you were placed side by side it would be easy to tell which ones were yours. Now I'm not trying to start any trouble, I'm presenting my opinion. I'm not saying anything negative about anyone's peppers or seeds. I am growing my own Carolina Reapers from seeds purchased from PepperJoe. The plants are doing fine and I had a great germination rate, all I could ask for at this time from Joe's seeds. When they produce pods I'll be happy to post photos and what I think of the flavor/heat.

Congrats to all of you who have successfully grown these plants.

I'm with you Patrick. Dale's latest pics look better but still not what I would seek for this variety.

I assume with such a large scale grow, those are the best looking of many pods. It would be interesting to see how much variation Dale has with his pods. Hopefully some plants will produce those beautiful super gnarly pods. Good luck Dale and everyone else this year!

Back