• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

I've noticed on my tallest Reaper that the pods look definitely more like Nagas. There's no descernable tail on it. I'll post pics when I get home...

And with mine, the flowers had to fertilize themselves, since it was the only flowering pepper plant I had at the time the pods started to develop. I have a couple other plants with flower buds, but none of them have opened yet.

I finally have just ONE of my creaper plants setting a few pods...... Lo and Behold....here they are....likely going to be the smooth no tail variety.... all the baby pods on it look the same....
Later on i'll know for sure.......

20130910_080648_zps4338450f.jpg

I just read 80% of this thread.

I have a pack of ten carolina reaper seeds from Puckerbutt but  I won't be starting any until January. I just started some other varieties to hopefully keep alive inside throughout winter.  Maybe I'll start one of two reapers. 

I have a few plants from each of the three primary vendors that have started setting pods.  For the most part they look as expected:
nwym34.jpg

169pxzl.jpg

rcn6es.jpg

That last one is kinda strange, but I like it.  I'm not sure if it qualifies as a "funky reaper" or not.  Looking forward to taste tests.

Most of mine look like the first two pictures.  Only one plant (out of a dozen or so) has pods like the third picture.  But yeah, there is variety.  Even the plants look different and have differing vigor in some cases.

Picked first few ripe reapers today. These are seeds from pepper joe and Ed I had some from both got another plant that has a jolokia looking pod too but they are not ready.

80BE63FD-F37F-4CE3-BA17-DE105D8B095F-29227-0000475F40E33849_zpsda0a2946.jpg

Back