• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Carolina Reaper plant stunted?

Hi there
My Carolina Reapers seem to have stalled growing, and look odd
- Haven't grown in a few weeks
- Leaves are clumping near the top and some are mutated with two leaves joined (One base, 2 tips)

Any ideas what's going on?

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0322.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 92
BlackFatalii said:
I see yellowing leaves. It could just be hungry. How are you feeding it? Is it getting plenty of light as well?

Conjoined leaves sometimes happen. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/68193-conjoined-pepper-leaf-pics-on-three-year-old-plus-plant/?hl=%2Bconjoined+%2Bleaves#entry1552500 I wouldn't worry about it.
Yes leaves are all a bit dull/yellow
A few weeks ago I mixed in a bag of fresh soil mix (contains nutrients), and a few days ago a capful of each of these Seasol fertilisers.
It might not have been enough

Attachments

• D8B50C6B-4D75-4A6D-8C68-CE2FCA6168C3.png
    D8B50C6B-4D75-4A6D-8C68-CE2FCA6168C3.png
    376.5 KB · Views: 98
What is your soil pH?

Give them a foliar feeding a few times over the next week. The finer the mist the better. Not fish lol.

Just a nitrogen rich chem fertilizer. If you insist on organic, there are omri listed soluble food u Can use.

I also recommend top dressing with blood meal and bone meal.

Dont overdo it. Recovery will present itself in new growth, not making yellow leaves turn green. They wont, but the health of new growth is indicative that youve corrected your path

GetLost said:
What is your soil pH?

Give them a foliar feeding a few times over the next week. The finer the mist the better. Not fish lol.

Just a nitrogen rich chem fertilizer. If you insist on organic, there are omri listed soluble food u Can use.

I also recommend top dressing with blood meal and bone meal.

Dont overdo it. Recovery will present itself in new growth, not making yellow leaves turn green. They wont, but the health of new growth is indicative that youve corrected your path

I wouldn't recommend blood or bone meal.  Bone meal doesn't do a lot of good - it doesn't break down fast enough to be useful - and it isn't really necessary to add copious amounts of P to a container.  So it's not money well spent.  And the foliar feeding, assuming that it works, is only going to mask any problems in the roots that may be present.  If there's no root zone issues, then normal plant health will resolve itself.
Fish is awesome.  Creates great biodiversity, and really hard to overdo.  Just be careful - don't assume that you haven't fed enough.  Overfertilizing with fish, while it might not be detrimental, can trigger pest infestations. (not the stink, but the plant's invisible markers)
The key statement for me, is "A few weeks ago I mixed in a bag of fresh soil mix".  What is this mix?  
I'm always suspicious of mixes.  The limiting factor in container plants outdoors, is almost never nutrient related.  We really don't grow a plant with over-arching nutrient needs.  So, I will always try to eliminate everything ELSE first...  

Ok great news, the plants recovered quickly when I gave them a proper dose of the liquid fertiliser (I'd misread previously and gave one cap instead of 5)
Pretty amazing transformation. Darker green overnight and lots of new growth after 2-3 days

Thank you all so much for your input

Attachments

• IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 90
jarrodethan said:
Ok great news, the plants recovered quickly when I gave them a proper dose of the liquid fertiliser (I'd misread previously and gave one cap instead of 5)
Pretty amazing transformation. Darker green overnight and lots of new growth after 2-3 days

Thank you all so much for your input

Wow! Just a week or so to an amazing recovery! Begs the question of your soil & better conditioning for next years grow?

Back