• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Carolina Reapers Help 24" tall and flowering

My Carolina Reapers and a few Butch T Scorps have reached approx 24" tall. They are only in 8" pots and have another 2 months before going outside. I live in Ontario Canada. They are starting to flower quite vigorously. Should I be pinching off all buds ? I have another 40 plants but the annuum variety that I germinated later and just in 4" pots under lights for now. Putting all these in 5gal buckets and finding enough light is not an option for me. Any tips would be appreciated.

IMG_1258.jpg
IMG_1255.jpg

I'd just let 'em go. If you pinch buds, you'll only encourage more vegetative growth, which might be pushing the limits of 8" pots. Think of it as very lazy, non-invasive growth control. I would just pick off all pods and flowers before you plant them out, that way they'll be ready to gear up for another round of vegetative growth once they're in their permanent homes. Good luck!

dash 2 said:
     I'd just let 'em go. If you pinch buds, you'll only encourage more vegetative growth, which might be pushing the limits of 8" pots. Think of it as very lazy, non-invasive growth control. I would just pick off all pods and flowers before you plant them out, that way they'll be ready to gear up for another round of vegetative growth once they're in their permanent homes. Good luck!
That's a damn good suggestion right there.

I like this.  Your plants look great. 

hendrixr said:
My Carolina Reapers and a few Butch T Scorps have reached approx 24" tall. They are only in 8" pots and have another 2 months before going outside. I live in Ontario Canada. They are starting to flower quite vigorously. Should I be pinching off all buds ? I have another 40 plants but the annuum variety that I germinated later and just in 4" pots under lights for now. Putting all these in 5gal buckets and finding enough light is not an option for me. Any tips would be appreciated.

I love it.  Sounds just like me.  I too have limited room like you and I hope two months I will be able to put them outside here!  To put mine in 8" pots is not even an option either.

Looks like it's a good problem to have! I'm envious. The plants look healthy. When did you start the seeds?

Started Jan 02

Back