• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Cartz's 2013-14 Glog - Video update - Waaay overdue

Hey all, I find myself with a couple of free hours and thought I would finally contribute something to the forums that I've been lurking around for the last 12 months.

My motivation for posting a grow log this season is simple - I need to restore some pride. To be blunt, last summer was my first time growing and I sucked pretty hard. I did somehow manage to pull a few pods amidst the carnage of being double teamed by my own stupidity and mother nature, but I'm determined to be more successful this season.

Given that I am still very much a rookie, please don't hesitate to offer any advice or criticism you have if you see me doing anything dumb on here.   

Living in Brisbane (AUS), I wanted to get things off to an early start this season. I purchased my seed stock from a couple of local vendors (JungleRain and the delightfully half-mad folk at The Hippy Seed Company) in early June, together with a couple of small heated propagators. I decided on a 100% jiffy pellet based propagation this year, simply because sitting on my couch with a steaming kettle and a bowl seemed like a cosier option than sitting on the floor up to my wrists in dirt filling up seed cells. 

On 28 June 2013 I planted the following seeds (4 per jiffy):

Biker Billy Jalapeno
Mucho Nacho Jalapeno
Bulgarian Carrot
Aji Lemon
Tabasco
Hot Fish
Super Chilli
Kanthari
Goatsweed
Orange Manzano
Scarlet Lantern
Choc Habanero
White Devils Tongue
Fatalii
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Bih Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia x Mayan Red
THSC Naga 7
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
THSC Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate 
7-Pod Primo x Choc Habanero f3
7-Pod Jonah
7-Pod Brainstrain

The jiffys were kept in a heated propagator with all the air vents closed in the dank spare bedroom. I resisted my usual OCD urge to look at them every 5 minutes and only checked on them twice a day to try and keep the temp constant. The $2 thermometer told me it stayed between 28-30 degrees in there. 

5rs2gat.jpg

Turns out the heated propagator was a good investment as I didn't have to wait nearly as long for some hooks as I did last season (when they just lived in a container under the sink). The next shot was taken 7 days after planting:

2M5eDwy.jpg

It was 10 days after planting, and 4 days after the first hooks came through that I learnt my next lesson - I probably should have taken those jiffys that had sprouted straight out into some light. But I didn't, and they got reeeeaaaally leggy, real fast haha:

pPb8w73.jpg

10 days after sowing the seeds, and 4 days after the first hooks popped through, I decided to sow some more. There were a few different species I still hadn't planted, plus I was worried about the longevity of a few of the really leggy, pale seedlings. So on 8 July 2013 I planted the following (again 4 seeds per jiffy):

Biker Billy Jalapeno
Mucho Nacho Jalapeno
Aji Lemon
Orange Cobra
De arbol Blood
Blondie
Naga Morich x Tabasco
Bhut Jolokia
Pimenta de Neyde
7-Pod Jonah x Trinidad Yellow Scotch Bonnet (called a 'Nebru' by THSC)

I had pretty good germination rates for most of this second batch, with most species popping up between 7 and 10 days. However, by 23 July 2013 I decided what the heck and gave a few more of the slower varieties seeds a 24 hour chamomile tea soak before burying them. Interestingly, the only varieties that the soak reduced the germination time of by more then a day were the Moruga (from 9 to 6 days) and the Jonah (from 13 to 7 days). Don't know how typical this is?

KRIoodR.jpg

Here's a shot of the seedlings warming up in a sunny window taken about 30 July 2013. They are mostly looking pretty good and their will to live seems to have overcome my early negligence in letting them get so leggy. There's already some nice variegation in the first true leaves on the Hot Fish, although I'm sure that's more to do with the quality of JungleRain's seed stock than anything I've done:

41rWdPl.jpg

It was about the time of this pic that I had to start thinking about giving them some more room to grow. It's still mid-winter so there's no way they were going outside and I didn't have anywhere I could keep their feet warm yet. I started researching grow lights on the forums and was just totally overwhelmed by the amount of tech-jargon and seemingly contradictory information on there. I kinda gave up and just decided that any light would be better then none so I went to the local electrical wholesaler and picked up a couple of 38w fluoro's for only $20 a pop. I thought they were a steal compared to some of the prices I had seen. 1 trip to Bunnings and 2 hours of internet electrical wiring research later I had a very simple, rustic, but (hopefully) workable solution. They sit in the window of my north facing balcony so they get plenty of natural light already, and will hopefully appreciate just a little heat boost from the fluoro's until September when I'll move them outside.

M1McSTL.jpg

8cqcgKl.jpg

All things considered, my seedlings all seem fairly happy and I THINK I'm off to an ok start for my second season. I should note that I still have 0% germination on the following varieties, which is bit of a downer:

Bhut Jolokia x Mayan Red
Brainstrain
Bih Jolokia
Bulgarian Carrot

Any recommendations on how long I should keep them in the propagator until I give up on them?

Well that's about it, apologies for this first Glog entry being retrospective, but I'll be keeping it current now that I've got it up and running.

Thanks for checking out my Glog and please feel free to comment/criticise/enquire... :dance:

ivplay said:
Thanks for the pics, Cartz.  The goats are looking great, as are the morugas.  You are going to have one angry stomach after you punish it with all of these peppers!  Looks like you have some good pods coming along.  As far as fruit flies, I have had a run in with them recently, and tried a few products.  The sticky traps caught a lot of flying bugs, not many of which were the fruit flies.  I then tried one of these:

http://www.searles.com.au/FruitFlypre.html

It works, and works great.  Overnight I had 8 male fruit flies dead in the bottom, and within two days 15.  I have bought a few more of these and placed them around my peppers, and the flies are dying and the pods are protected.  I have been quite happy with these, and thought I would pass along the information.

Hey mate, thanks for giving your feedback on those traps...they sound like the goods! I'd been thinking about getting something like that so you've just sold me on it. Off to Bunnings I go... 

Brisbane has been experiencing some pretty wild winds for the last week or so and the garden has taken bit of a battering. 

This was the top half of my leggy little Naga Morich that had been pumping out the pods... :cry:
20140123_083244_zpsde55165c.jpg

I got half a dozen pods to fully ripen on the windowsill but I still had a bunch of green ones and I'm loathed to toss away any good pods so I decided to make a pickle...
20140124_163615_zpscd507c09.jpg

Green Mango & Naga Pickle:

1 green mango
4-8 green naga morich pods
4 cloves of garlic
1 inch knob of ginger
2 limes
2 tbs vinegar
1 heaped tsp of salt

I mortared up the chillies, garlic, ginger and salt before whacking everything in a mixer and giving it a few good pulses. The heat of the Nagas really caught me out considering they were still green so I only ended up using 4. Though i'm sure plenty of you could use 8 without even flinching.  

End result...
20140124_192146_zpsf53615ab.jpg

We are still working our way through the whiting that I caught a few months ago, so the fillets are starting to get towards the end of their shelf life in the freezer. The pickle really freshened up the aging fish and brought the whole dish to life. It had great heat without being pointlessly painful, and I couldn't stop eating it. I'm already looking forward to the next loaded branch that snaps off :lol:   

Love the looks of those Goats.  I'm growing them for the first time this year.

It seems to be windy all over lately.  Except for possibly the southern tier of states, there's not much risk of pepper damage around here.  It is clearing all the dead limbs out of my trees, though.

Trippa said:
Yeah those winds look set to continue for another week as well ... Pain in the a%%... Good thing is the temps look perfect for flowering and pod set... So there is a silver lining

Yeah I've gotta say that the plants do all look really happy and productive now that it's cooled down a bit (when not being ripped in half by the wind). What do you consider to be perfect temps for flowering/setting Tripp? High 20's??

Sawyer said:
Love the looks of those Goats.  I'm growing them for the first time this year.

It seems to be windy all over lately.  Except for possibly the southern tier of states, there's not much risk of pepper damage around here.  It is clearing all the dead limbs out of my trees, though.

You won't be disappointed Sawyer. You've got a ton of excellent varieties going this season but I'm sure the B-Goats will be towards the top of your favourites list! 

Bummer on the Naga.  Is that the end of the plant, or is there more still attached that you can keep growing?  I like the recipe for the sauce, and will have to try this myself later.  Thanks for the update, Nathan!

I always see the best pod set on my plants when the day time maximums are between 24-28 degrees C (and not to cool at night) with some humidity around march/April is often perfect although its not too bad at the moment ...probably more to do with the root zone temperature staying relatively cool as well as the ambient air temp. I am not sure what the official "optimum" temps are considered to be but that's just what I observe on my plants

ivplay said:
Bummer on the Naga.  Is that the end of the plant, or is there more still attached that you can keep growing?  I like the recipe for the sauce, and will have to try this myself later.  Thanks for the update, Nathan!

Hey mate, the Naga lost her head but she still has enough arms and legs to get by. She's actually pumping out the new growth as we speak...hopefully she bushes out a little more this time or it'll probably happen all over again!

Trippa said:
I always see the best pod set on my plants when the day time maximums are between 24-28 degrees C (and not to cool at night) with some humidity around march/April is often perfect although its not too bad at the moment ...probably more to do with the root zone temperature staying relatively cool as well as the ambient air temp. I am not sure what the official "optimum" temps are considered to be but that's just what I observe on my plants

Ok cool, good to know - thanks for sharing the knowledge Tripp. I haven't ever sat down and thought about that before.

Alrighty so I've been busy processing a decent harvest today. This is a close up of my first ripe THSC Chocolate Scorpions:
20140129_085230_zps743ceb7d.jpg

This one was actually a really great surprise. I thought it was a stock 7-Pod Jonah, but it's actually ripened into a 7-Pod Jonah Yellow. I was quite bummed not to have any Yellow 7's this season after murdering all mine last year, so yeah I couldn't be happier that THSC sent me the wrong seeds...thanks Neil!
20140129_091410_zps8f5f617d.jpg

These are the first ripe Primo x Choc Hab pods that I didn't lose to the fruit flies...
20140129_085328_zpscb7353a1.jpg

This is a Trinidad Scorpion Moruga. This plant is going ballistic and very soon I'll have more of these then I'll know what to do with...#pepperproblems
20140126_114821_zps6b990b01.jpg

And the brag shot from today's harvest  :party:
20140129_084613_zps3a1367de.jpg

b4cf1a05-f1f8-4384-a46a-051c9206458e_zps90e7cb3f.jpg

Sorry about the winds, we have them here, bad enough that I put up pvc wind breaks...lucky I got them for free.

Glad you turned bad into good with the recipe, and thanks for posting it.

Harvests look killa! And glad the flies have backed off. We have issues here too with the bugs as it's a warm climate. We just plant more and try to combat them with companion plants

Keep it green!

I've been pulling a heap of pods over the last week, so thought I'd take a few more pics. 

These ones are the result of a quick harvest this morning...
20140206_140732_zps49985a22.jpg

The fruit flies took their cut, probably about 10% didn't make it inside and went straight to the garbage bin, but I'm not complaining as just about every plant is getting busy with pods.

The Fatalii has been really productive and there are a bunch more pods yet to ripen:
20140206_141305_zpsfd18dd30.jpg

This is the first Butch T to ripen. It's bit of a runt but I'm sure it's still gonna hurt...
20140206_141631_zps08a20025.jpg

The Primo x Choc Habs are starting to look more scorpion-ish and less hab-ish. The pods are really thick walled and crunchy, and have some pretty scary looking insides. They become a really deep, rich chocolate colour and are easily the darkest of my chocolate types. These 2 still look a bit olive in colour but they'll darken up on the windowsill over the next couple of days:
20140206_141913_zps9b6c3054.jpg

A few more of the 7-Pod Jonah Yellows are starting to ripen up. I can't wait to have enough of these to do something with them as they smell absolutely wonderful...
20140206_141741_zps22608bd6.jpg

This shot shows the huge difference between my 2 Naga Morich x Tabasco plants. The 3 larger pods are typical specimens that have been coming off the smaller plant, while the one I am holding is the first pod to ripen from the much larger NMxT plant. This is the shape I was expecting them all to be, but I still like the larger ones. They are super thick walled and crunchy, and wicked hot. Hopefully the smaller ones are just as good:
20140206_141518_zps8effdb9d.jpg

Last one, this is the *ahem* Orange Manzano. This is my first pod and it has ripened to a deep, dark red. It looks much more like pics I've seen of red rocotos so I think it's due for a name change. I was initially really excited to try this one at the start of my season as I'd heard only good things about their flavour. However the way that their new growth unfurls, not unlike a flower, has made them REALLY susceptible to the hardening damage from broad mite attacks. They've easily fared the worst of all my plants and I was pretty close to tossing them all. Given the mites love them, I really didn't want to like 'em so that I wouldn't have to make the tough decision to grow them again next season. But OH MAN, the moment I sunk the knife through it this morning I knew I was screwed. I'll be growing this again for sure...it is an undeniably thick, crunchy and juicy, delicious pod :drooling: 
20140206_135728_zpscfb427bf.jpg

Well, well, well! Looks like this season is turning out to be massive for you mate! Those pods look amazing! I am shattered my primo x's didn't turn out, they look great!

As for the manzanos, just about my favourite to eat! So juicy and the think walls are the best! I love yellow 7 pots more still, only just.

Fatalis look fantastic too! I grew them two seasons ago, nice flavour and perfect heat.

The weather down hear in Melbourne has been perfect, if only I had a good start. I only have 4 really good plants (besides the tomatoes which I am getting at least 3kgs per week). They are my red primo, yellow 7, aji lemon and scotch bonnet. Interested to hopefully get pods of the primo. No pods off anything yet.

Thanks for the pics, sorry I haven't stopped by in a while, but, as the pictures show, you are dominating (despite the fruit flies)!

Mitch_from_OZ said:
Well, well, well! Looks like this season is turning out to be massive for you mate! Those pods look amazing! I am shattered my primo x's didn't turn out, they look great!

As for the manzanos, just about my favourite to eat! So juicy and the think walls are the best! I love yellow 7 pots more still, only just.

Fatalis look fantastic too! I grew them two seasons ago, nice flavour and perfect heat.

The weather down hear in Melbourne has been perfect, if only I had a good start. I only have 4 really good plants (besides the tomatoes which I am getting at least 3kgs per week). They are my red primo, yellow 7, aji lemon and scotch bonnet. Interested to hopefully get pods of the primo. No pods off anything yet.

Thanks for the pics, sorry I haven't stopped by in a while, but, as the pictures show, you are dominating (despite the fruit flies)!

Hey mate, good to hear from ya! Yep things have turned out really well this season. I think my biggest win has been accepting that all these different pests are always going to be here and learning to deal with them. I've got most of them nicely under control now, at least to the point where the plants are happy and are able to do well regardless. It probably takes a little more effort than some places but that's the price you pay for having a year-round grow.

Really happy to hear the weather in Melbourne has finally got on board for you. 3 kilos a week of tomatoes is no joke, they must be thriving. What are you doing with them all? You should put up a couple of pics, as well as some of your chilli plants. 4 good healthy plants is better than nothing...and you've got your bases covered with the varieties too...all you are really missing are some Jals! :P   

Let me know if you'd like some more primo x seeds, or anything else that I'm growing, for your next germination. Obviously I'm flush with seeds at the moment. Did your Nebru take? My first pods are ripening right now and look amazing. There'll be some pics of those on here real soon. 

The Nebru is a hybrid that I don't see on too many people's grow lists, so I thought I would give it a bit of much deserved air time.

20140210_113019_zps97213d4d.jpg

It is a now stable hybrid, with the 7-Pod Jonah and Trinidad Yellow Scotch Bonnet being its parents. To my understanding it was created by a couple of Aussies, including Neil Smith (of THSC).

This is the first pod of mine to ripen, and as is often the case, it's not the biggest. The others still ripening on the plant are a bit bigger. Despite its modest size, I still think it is a damn good looking pod. To me it looks like a normal Scotch Bonnet, but with a thyroid problem.
20140210_113036_zps12f65694.jpg

When cut open it has the pleasing, lightly citrusy scent that a lot of the yellows have, and is probably second only to my Bahamian Goats in terms of its smell getting my juices flowing.
20140210_113253_zps5795c839.jpg

So far, I've only sampled a sliver to confirm that it tastes as good as it smells (and it sure does, maybe even better), and I loved it for a good 5 seconds before the heat lit me up and I stopped caring about how nice it tasted. I wasn't expecting it to be quite as hot as it was, and for me it was much closer in heat to a Jonah than a Scotch Bonnet. It's a little hard to make out all of the oil droplets as they are the same yellow colour as the flesh, but there is quite a bit there!
20140210_113745_zps0070bc1c.jpg

For me, this pepper ticks all the boxes and it's easy to call the Nebru a winner. I'll be growing this one again and have no hesitation in recommending that you give it a go. 

Awesome Glog Cartz!
Just went from start to finish! Nice documentation and plants!
Thanks for the experience.
Bahamian goats are super delicious! A favorite for sure. Yours look great!
Love the nebru. Cool shape and parents to make a tasty hot pod. Don't remember seeing that one before, so thanks for the exposure to.
Keep it hot as long as you can!

Trippa said:
Yeah its on my grow list ... It should have podded already but mites took care of that ... Still have one struggling on ... Cheers .. Nice looking pod

It's good to know I'm in elite company Tripp... ;) I had (well, have) 2 plants but the mites really got stuck into one of them and it aint doing much now. Hope you get a couple of pods to sample, at the very least. If it doesn't produce just let me know and I'll send a couple down the M1 for you to try out.

GA Growhead said:
Awesome Glog Cartz!
Just went from start to finish! Nice documentation and plants!
Thanks for the experience.
Bahamian goats are super delicious! A favorite for sure. Yours look great!
Love the nebru. Cool shape and parents to make a tasty hot pod. Don't remember seeing that one before, so thanks for the exposure to.
Keep it hot as long as you can!

Thanks for checking it out GA! I love reading through a good glog, so it makes me happy to know that others can enjoy mine too! I'll have to get through all of yours soon. I've only had the chance to have a couple of glances at it but MAANNN the scale of your grow this season is insane - I know I don't need to tell you to keep it hot!!

Awesome pics of some great pods, Cartz.  It looks like the grow is really coming around for you, considering the rough start you had.  Glad to see it!  We are a bit water logged up this way after Cyclone Dylan, followed by 6.5" of rain this weekend.  Still getting pods off of the tepin and the yellow bhut, but the others aren't doing so well.  Thanks for sharing pics!

Back