• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cat Deterrent

in india they rub ghost peppers on fence posts to keep elephants away

I can honestly say that since I have been using the cayenne powder on my plants my elephant problem has been resolved! Not one elephant in sight! However, the cats are a different story. Just made a cocktail of coffee/cayenne/thyme and a small dash of dish soap and misted them with it. Hope I don't do more damage than the cat does!

I can honestly say that since I have been using the cayenne powder on my plants my elephant problem has been resolved! Not one elephant in sight! However, the cats are a different story. Just made a cocktail of coffee/cayenne/thyme and a small dash of dish soap and misted them with it. Hope I don't do more damage than the cat does!

How did this work out for you? Just overwintered some plants and getting ready to bring inside and I woke up this morning to two chewed up 6in habanero seedlings. Fortunately, I have about 25 seedlings still but they are still in the box where they cant get to them. Trying to find something so I dont go and grab the .22.

Depending on the layout, and your cat's particular form of insanity, can you put something on the surface they'd stand on that they don't like?

My fiance's cats would freak out over plastic grocery bags. They'd touch one, hear the crinkle, and bolt. Maybe put something like that around them?

Or can you grow catnip beside your plants, for a more interesting target?

A little late to the party, but oh well.

We have two cats as well. One of them loves to eat palm leaves, then vomits that up everywhere. On a few occasions, he likes to eat my seedlings if left unprotected.

I keep my starts in a foil lined plastic bin in the basement. I think that is too bright/warm for him to mess with. My problem came when I brought them up to the sunroom when they were ready for that environment. That bin is a clear bin that I now keep a wire lid on. They can breathe and keeps the cat out.

This next grow season I have the new cat to contend with....aptly named "Loki". He's a little #$%^!

Edit: I have a neighbor cat that loves to crap in my raised beds. While I am a cat person, that cat is going to get trapped in a cage/live trap, then soaked with rainwater.

Back