• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Catarina pepper

Has anyone grown or tried the Catarina(or Caterina) pepper. This is one that has interested me for a while and I finally plan to grow them this season. I've read many descriptions and some say the aroma is like seafood stock, and others say its flavor is like tobacco and berries, which sounds kind of weird but interesting, and they also fit in with my mild mexican types that I'm trying to focus on this year.
Tobacco-berry pie anyone:lol:

those are good looking pods...shape and color is kinda like an elongated Cascabel..

They are apparently in the same family. Here's something I just read and have never heard before, and its funny that I'm growing cascabels, catarinas, guajillos, and mirasols

"Guajillo: [gwah-HEE-yoh] (Capsicum annuum) Meaning 'little gourd'. The Guajillo, Cascabel (Rattle) or Catarina (Ladybug) chiles all belong to the group known as the Mirasol chiles. The Guajillo from Mexico is a beautiful russet red, translucent, thin-walled dried chile, measuring between 10-15 cm in length and between 2.5-3.25 cm in width. Most chiles grow hanging downwards (pendant). Guajillos grow upright, earning themselves an alternative name Mirasol (i.e. looking at the sun). Its delicate flavour makes it a favourite, especially for colouring, in all forms of New World cooking. Scoville units: 3,000. Hotness Scale: 2-4"

http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/chilevarieties.html

Puebla ´s pepper.

Are cultivate in Puebla Mexico, are truly good.

chilespuebla.jpg

POTAWIE said:
They are apparently in the same family. Here's something I just read and have never heard before, and its funny that I'm growing cascabels, catarinas, guajillos, and mirasols

I grew mirasols last year. Beautiful looking plant but pods had fairly tough skin and very little heat.

Here's my first ripe Catarina/Caterina pod. I'm anxious to try it fresh although they are traditionally used dry, but that will have wait;) I like the productity of this plant, and the shiny, perfect looking pods

3788815134_3b04e4bf25.jpg

POTAWIE said:
Here's my first ripe Catarina/Caterina pod. I'm anxious to try it fresh although they are traditionally used dry, but that will have wait;) I like the productity of this plant, and the shiny, perfect looking pods

Very cool looking pods. You'll have to report back on the flavor! :) I might have to add that to my futures grow list. I'm still waiting to taste my 1st red ripe Fresno and I hope it has some heat. Annuum peppers are getting more interesting to me now that I've grown more superhots than I can handle.

I hear you on that BigT. I just sold 8 full ziplock bags of frozen super-hotties from last year and I still have dozens of bags full of dried ones from 2 years ago that I'm working on unloading. I never have a problem using up milder powders but the super-hotties just aren't too popular in these parts. This year was supposed to be mostly annuums for me but I'm still getting chinenses in heaps mate;)
You'll probably love the Fresno BigT, its one of my favorites, but I didn't grow any this year:(

Potawie, Living in west Texas, we have LOTS of Mexican chiles in the markets. If you want anything in particular, let me know, and I'll look for you.

Thanks eh. I really don't need any more seed varieties, but I am looking for a better version of the cascabel and red poblano. I'm quite picky though and would rather buy or trade known seeds than risk growing seeds from a market pepper that could be crossed.

I'd like to know how the Catarina tastes too POTAWIE. Beautiful looking pepper isn't it? I like the pimpled/wrinkly look of the superhots but every now and then it is nice to see a smooth, consistently shaped pepper. Great post thanks.

They have a very unique earthy sort of flavor. I have to agree with a sort of tobacco and berry type taste. Still not sure what best to use them in and I probably won't grow them again for a while. Not a bad flavor, just weird

hey yes i did this last season they where ok flavor-wise
great producer, i have a pile of seeds if you want some let me know
thanks joe

Back