• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

caveman's hot pepper and spice grow

Hello everyone!
I have decided to put my efforts into growing some hot peppers while I am out of work waiting on surgery. I severed my radial nerve at my job last November and will be having surgery done soon.

Anyways I have been a gardener for a long time and I worked professionally at my university for seven years.

Following the forums here and there until I decided to sit down here at THP to plant my roots.

A little about the grow:
I current have germinated several red and yellow ghost chilies that I received last year from a friend out of state. Last week I received in the mail twenty or so Carolina reaper seeds from puckerbutt pepper company. Next week I should be receiving several more strains, My grow list consists of 7 pot, red yellow and brown ghost, red yellow and brown scorpions, butch t, trinidad moruga, tree habeneros, devils tongue, fish pepper, twilight numex, black Cuban and a few others.

Just today I bought some new toys to help along with my venture:

Ci4GQB1.jpg

My set up is going to be as follows:
4x4 gorilla tent
400w-600w hps w/digital adjustable ballast
Hyper Fan by phresh 6" @ 315cfm
Phresh filter 6"x24" 550cfm
General hydroponics water farm

As I said my seeds just began to sprout on my red and yellow ghost,

1Pskhj0.jpg

giving me some time to fiddle around with my equipment

2kySoFR.jpg

just testing the light and making sure it is in working condition after a hour long drive and a long dirt road.

As for my thyme, oregano, and chives they will most likely be done in soil still at the drawing board on that one.

I hope this is posted in the right section as I will update periodically with more information. Thanks for checking it out! Any feed back is appreciated.

Caveman

The Mashed Pepper said:
Nice setup, caveman. Are you SURE that you're gonna use it to grow peppers? :liar: An if you have a big eared brother around there somewhere you should get him to flap them near your back to ease that sunburn!
He might take off to space if he did that haha!
Peppers seedlings are healthy
oCyq40n.jpg

And the spices are taking off as well
aQV8tZY.jpg

caveman said:
Haha the cool thing about your 6module is you can keep the res outside of the tent and not worry about the light heating it up. And makes it easier to add your notes and water1
Exactly what I planned on doing...;)

Everything is looking good man..keep up the good work dude
Give my glog a check and see what you think...:)

So I went by my local HVAC supplier and bought a 25' section of 6" r8 insulated ducting and got everything set up. Sowed 150 peat pellets with various vegetables and peppers. PICS

Before I made it look nice
m4TsfV6.jpg

All cleaned up.
eBwwGKB.jpg

Moved 2 ghost plants to 8oz solo cups to establish better roots before going hydro.

ZkySlis.jpg

After just 3 days the 150 peat pellets are popping all over. Damn I love raising seeds under hps compared to florescent

jmqrNtF.jpg

jgl13MJ.jpg

Qjf2aiH.jpg

Now in a day or two I know that 2 of the reaper seeds are going to pop. But I do not have high hopes for the other three.

Will update soon, thanks.

caveman

I would say about 90% of the veggies are in the garden right now.

Good news is last night one of my 5 Carolina reaper seeds sprouted. Hopefully some more come up or I'll just keep this as a mother to clone from.

Should be receiving some seeds and fresh pods from my buddy out of state here around Friday too.

So I ate one of the reapers last night. Aside from the amazing flavor. It was an amazing body rush. When chewing it my body began to tingle and vibrate and go numb. I had a full stomach of food and 15 people standing around me recording. The pain was worst in the stomach. And your saliva is going to be like acid. It's bearable. But I don't recommend on a full stomach. Hah. It made me feel drunk and uncoordinated. But still it was great.

Update. OK well it has been hectic. Planting 300 plants in my garden outside and handling my peppers inside jumping back and forth not to mention taking care of the 40 baby chickens or so. Anyways I transplanted some of my Thai chili's from peat pellets and more ghost and I have a few more reapers coming in. Will transplant those soon and I cannot wait to plant my crop for next year.

kcM8R2E.jpg

It has been a while since I updated. Have had my hands full tending the baby chickens and hatching the once in the incubator. Since today was the first day of deer season everything is going well.

First off killed this guy yesterday was going to eat him after I skinned it but there was a large rat inside of him decaying so I figured the meat was no good. But got a very nice skin out of it

zGlICPb.jpg

Eating an apple that had a germinated seed in it so I planted and it decided to sprout. Screw simulated winter germination. Let the apple do the work for you!

y4bcURA.jpg

My garden is coming along well. Having an irrigation issue but nothing that can't be resolved.

Czk6mbl.jpg

Getting some large radish even

VAUyg2E.jpg

And here are my peppers in the tent. Carolina reapers, red and yellow ghost, Thai chili's and a few onions and apple and several spices.

2bpzlkk.jpg

Thanks for looking

Transplanted one reaper to a hydroponic bucket.

Planted 3 each of the following
brown scorpion
yellow scorpion
butch t Trinidad scorpion

And purple bumblebee tomato

WniXvLh.jpg

JjtJvyX.jpg

Thanks for looking

caveman said:
My buddy sent me a nice car package today.TONS of seeds and pods from his garden. Carolina reapers, 7pot, habanero, ghost, chocolate douglah, many more.

SjEwQL5.jpg

fCeTQo5.jpg

These look really good!  What are those four red pods on the bottom right?

These are a care package that I received from my friend. He said the bottom right he believed were a 7pot

Middle bottom Carolina reaper
bottom left devils tongue
top yellow habanero or ghost
top right scorpion
the orange ones are tree habanero
Brown are chocolate Douglah
Bottom left inside are 7pots

The rest I believe are butch t scorpions

Sadly I wasn't able to use these for anything because they all molded out when I was drying them but the good news was I ate one of the reapers and harvested the seeds.

He grew tons of peppers and sent me 3 plants that I was able to get started for next year.

Hope this helped

Back