• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Cefn's journey to 2016 Glog

A bit of background ....

It all started back in 2014 when one of the kids bought me a Cayenne pepper plant, had a nice lot of peppers that year and i was hooked on growing a few more.

Cayenne and Tabasco seeds were sown and had a few plants but very few pods, I thought (and not alone) how hard can this be?

I am no strange to growing things with a 5 acre farm, 40 foot poly-tunnel, 14x6 foot greenhouse and numerous raised beds  in Wales
only thing holding me back is the weather. 

So the end of 2015 A new grow tent was bought and this is were it starts.

I found this forum and did a lot of looking and reading to find i could over winter plants, I had a couple of Tabasco plants that i could experiment with.... This is about a week after topping?

20151118_163743.jpg

Now for sum seeds ... Easy Grow ones

Hungarian Hot Wax

De-Cayenne

Ring of Fire

Apache

Krakota

As I start all my seeds in a propagator and compost that's what i did (with lots of Pearlite)
12 December
20151212_173705.jpg

Seeds started showing

20 December

20151205_161105.jpg

I will fast forward a bit, and after re-potting and culling a bit we come to the present day
this is how they look

Over wintered Tabasco

20160103_113239.jpg

Group shot of my girls ...

20160103_113249.jpg

To any one just starting out (like me) all i can advise is just browse around the forum look and take in all you can and most of all

DON'T OVER WATER!!!!!!!!   (if you think it needs water wait 2 days)

Welcome from Romania!
Nice plants! Though I think the cayenne on the back side, start to grow a bit too high, maybe lack of light. I also had this problem, thin plants growing too high.
Don't know, maybe you already use or plan to use a fan for hardening the plants. If not, think about.
The overwintered looks good too.

Many thanks for the reply's

rghm1u20 said:
Welcome from Romania!
Nice plants! Though I think the cayenne on the back side, start to grow a bit too high, maybe lack of light. I also had this problem, thin plants growing too high.
Don't know, maybe you already use or plan to use a fan for hardening the plants. If not, think about.
The overwintered looks good too.
Just re-potted the cayenne's they were leggy from the start ... got 4 t5s on top so they should be ok? as for fans ... yeh you cant see them in these photos but got 2 12vot pc fans .. one on 24/7 the other random time between 10-25min on and 10-25min off

top of my setup

20160109_140316.jpg

Great start ... when you next pot on plant the young plants right up to the base of the first leaves ... The sunken stem will then root making for a stronger plant ... As rghm1u20 mentions a fan is essential in a grow tent ... strengthens the plants and helps move warm stale air

What ever you are doing all looks great so far especially the O/W Tabasco

Trident chilli said:
Great start ... when you next pot on plant the young plants right up to the base of the first leaves ... The sunken stem will then root making for a stronger plant ... As rghm1u20 mentions a fan is essential in a grow tent ... strengthens the plants and helps move warm stale air

What ever you are doing all looks great so far especially the O/W Tabasco
 Many thanks for your reply ... will take on board plant them deeper next time i re-pot

mogly said:
nice plants, i have a question, for how long u keep the light on?

I'm growing these plants to pot out the end of February into the poly tunnel at first then the greenhouse ... then the poly-arc
so my setup is this ....

Lights are 4 T5's ....  15 hrs on 9 hrs off
Heat (it gets hard to control it here) 150 watt Thermostat control ... day temp is 70 - 75 with lights on .. night with lights off 60 - 65 so like a 10 deg difference
Fans are 2 12volt PC  one on 24/7 on top of lights to keep thermostat working .. one over plants random at 10-25min on and 10-25min off
Ventilation is from a 6inch pipe on top of the grow-tent all-ways open 
Humidity I try to keep it around 70%

A few Photos

20160111_094301.jpg
20160111_094243.jpg
20160111_094203.jpg
20160111_094139.jpg

interesting, i will stealing your idea haha, this pipe blows the air off? or inside?

another thing, this cicle off light don't stress this plants? 

mogly said:

interesting, i will stealing your idea haha, this pipe blows the air off? or inside?

Hi mogly the "pipe" is the heater so the top fan  mixes warm air on the top of the grow-tent right to left  along the pipe heating it to 70c  and around the grow-tent from the top, its also quite close to the inlet pipe which supply's the fan with new cool air.

mogly said:

another thing, this cicle off light don't stress this plants? 

ive not found this

Again thanks for the interest ;)

An update to my grow  got a few seeds from [member='juanitos'] 

Very quick delivery and a few extras in the bag as well ... Many thanks juanitos

Scotch bonnet moa

Choc scorpian

Aji omnicolor

20160120_113010.jpg

update to other plants ..

20160118_095912_1.jpg

All seemed ok till i got "oedema" on a few plants, I thought it could not be over-watering.
I gave them a flush and removed the fan blowing across them and all seems to be better after a week osr so :)

I have a question ... some of the plants are producing buds cayenne ... hot wax ... should i remove these or will they drop off on the own, I want to just keep them going for a month or so till i can get them into bigger pots and put them out?

Any help

cefncanol said:

I have a question ... some of the plants are producing buds cayenne ... hot wax ... should i remove these or will they drop off on the own, I want to just keep them going for a month or so till i can get them into bigger pots and put them out?

Any help

I'd top them and increase light to 18 on 6 off.  Maybe add some fish emulsion or other high N no burn ferts.  Let them bush out.

NeedsWork said:

I'd top them and increase light to 18 on 6 off.  Maybe add some fish emulsion or other high N no burn ferts.  Let them bush out.

Many thanks for the reply NW ... i think i will top them as you said,  I will post a pic when done.

NeedsWork said:

I'd top them and increase light to 18 on 6 off. 

Again many thanks for the reply's .... if i give them 18on and 6 off waht happens when i put them outside when the natural light is only 12 .. will they go backwards?

santis00 said:
Looking good! Iike the case fan idea.
Thanks ;)

cefncanol said:

Again many thanks for the reply's .... if i give them 18on and 6 off waht happens when i put them outside when the natural light is only 12 .. will they go backwards?

Thanks ;)

They will be fine as long as they are hardened off gradually.  Sunlight is significantly more intense than T5's... or any tube lights.  Your plants look great by the way!  

Ozzy2001 said:
Looks great!  Keep it up.  It all started for me with a Caribbean Red Habanero plant :)
Thanks Ozzy Ive realy got the bug now ...

NeedsWork said:

They will be fine as long as they are hardened off gradually.  Sunlight is significantly more intense than T5's... or any tube lights.  Your plants look great by the way!  
Thanks   NW ....
a few photos after giving the plants a trim, left a few leaves on .. will remove them in a week or so, as you can see just starting to put out side shoots 

(sorry if im posting to many pics)

I know when i was looking around the forum for tips i all-ways appreciated a photo

20160122_150904.jpg

20160122_150819.jpg

20160122_150804.jpg

20160122_150746.jpg

and my seeds a few days old now :)
20160122_150843_1.jpg

cefncanol said:
(sorry if im posting to many pics)

No such thing IMHO except when quoting and reposting all of the photos from the original post.

I think you are going to be really happy with the results of trimming.  It should refocus all of that reproductive energy.   :party:

EDIT: Typo

Back