• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

CFL how to

Hey everyone im just wondering how you guys set up CFL's .. is there wiring involved? I would like to use a few cfls instead of getting another strip light. thanks

juanitos said:
can plug them into a socket adapter 
and plug them into a power strip if thats what u want to do without wiring.

there are some examples in the FAQ that can give u an idea
i just watched a video, buying a 3 bulb fixture and adding a power cord to the wires would work right?

FullersFire said:
i just watched a video, buying a 3 bulb fixture and adding a power cord to the wires would work right?
ah the easiest way is to do this:
DSC00393.JPG

FullersFire said:

Hopefully they used a junction box and appropriate wire gauge for the power cord.  Dangerous wiring can make any project much more expensive...  

What are the dimensions of your grow area and how many plants do you plan on growing?   It might be worth investing in T8 shop lights if you don't plan on planting outside until May/June.

NeedsWork said:
What are the dimensions of your grow area and how many plants do you plan on growing?   It might be worth investing in T8 shop lights if you don't plan on planting outside until May/June.
probably going to grow no more than 10 plants

I had a 4' Shoplight die on me last year, I removed all the working parts and I am just left with the metal hood.  I am gonna add sockets to it and wire it up and make a 4 bulb growlight.  It should be interesting anyhow, if I remember I'll post pictures of it when I get around to making it. 

Buzzman19 said:
I had a 4' Shoplight die on me last year, I removed all the working parts and I am just left with the metal hood.  I am gonna add sockets to it and wire it up and make a 4 bulb growlight.  It should be interesting anyhow, if I remember I'll post pictures of it when I get around to making it. 
awesome

Geonerd said:
You might root around the the local independent dollar or hardware store.  One near me has ceramic / porcelain fixtures with two wires and a metal clip that can be screwed to a supporting piece of wood.  Gang the pigtails together in parallel with twist-on connectors and your Ghetto Growbox will be good to go! 

Found on-line ... 
http://www.surplussales.com/electrical/LampSockets/LampSockets-4.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-To-4-LED-lamp-Base-Socket-E27-Socket-Base-LED-Splitter-Plug-Halogen-Light-Lamp/32585971169.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.96.aqFhpR&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_3,searchweb201644_5_10001_10002_10005_301_10006_10003_10004_62,searchweb201560_2,searchweb1451318400_6148,searchweb1451318411_6451

I only tried CFL/s once,they fried to quick for the cost of replacing bulbs - Homey Depote bulbs,don't remember company name-it was Sylvania or?,an established company.
I also am into LED's using both Vertical and horizontal lighting for my starts.
I love mini hedges for starts.
I don't post pics on the net anymore...

Back