auction Charity Auction

She was attempting to dig at me because I import some of the smoked peppers from India. I am not going to defend it cause I don't really see the issue. As soon as someone in the US can produce the same quality product at a competitive price I will purchase from them. Unfortunately that has not happened yet.

Like my signature says, don't feed the trolls!
i grow my peppers on 4 farm,s i do not import i do send a lot of free seed over sea,s ever year free.

i grow my peppers on 4 farm,s i do not import i do send a lot of free seed over sea,s ever year free.
maybe you are the troll.

Let's please stay on topic and not debate where seeds are from.

As the rules state in this section:

NO COMMENTS IN THIS SECTION unless interested in the offer. This is an area for business, not discussion or critique.

Thanks

GPS,

I just watched this. IMHO this is a worthy cause too, see if you agree...

Rhody...

Damn... hope this thread doesn't get locked, on another forum, the mods routinely clean up offensive posts and if the thread has value, this one does, allows the
discussion to continue, just a hint of course...

GPS, pick a charity that is meaningful to you. I'll support any good cause, be it animals, service people, the environment, homeless/poor/disabled.....(that covers all the big ones doesn't it? :lol: ) Just by you being willing to step up ( actually, Step Up For Charity was started by firefighter and iconic chilehead/chilegrower/saucemaker Jim Campbell and is supported by a lot of chilehead companies) and do an auction, I'd support your efforts.

I hear LDHS makes MREs taste a hell of a lot better and they get enough socks, so I'll keep sending a package a month as long as I'm in business. :cheers:

I've heard that LDHS can make a used insole taste good.

True Story.

Anyway, back on topic- pick a cause, pick something to auction and go for it!

Open question to anyone who can answer- please PM to me if you don't want to clutter this thread. How does one find out where to send things to overseas troops?

salsalady- something told me I could count on your support, I know we probably haven't had much direct contact but you have always seemed like a sweet lady.

So what I would really like to do is separate the charity auctions out rather than throw all of the contributions into one auction. This way each vendor/member can pick their charity and raise some money. I think it would be great for each auction holder to match the contribution they raise but I understand some will not be able to. I will probably set a limit for my auction because if we get some crazy large donation I may not be able to match 100% without mortgaging the house. I want to stay true to my word and not change the terms mid-auction if something unforeseen happens.

Also, discussing particular charities, in my opinion, is staying on topic, it was the questioning of the source of my products that I took issue with.

I too find most causes meaningful. I hope to be able to do this on a regular basis that way I can target more charities.

i'm in too. will probably be a month or two before i have enough variety of goodies to do it. thanks for the inspiration.

we are in the process of setting up a disc golf tournament with proceeds going to cancer research so that's likely where mine will go as well.

i'm in too. will probably be a month or two before i have enough variety of goodies to do it. thanks for the inspiration.

we are in the process of setting up a disc golf tournament with proceeds going to cancer research so that's likely where mine will go as well.

Thank you sir! Glad to have your support!

Luckily charity isn't going away anytime soon, there will always be a need.

GPS,

is this what you are thinking, or maybe hoping... Vendors could put something up for charity auction to the charity of their choice. Are you saying, you'll monitor the thread and auctions etc? to answer questions, etc?

Is this what you were thinking or am I putting words in your mouth? Maybe do a Charity Auction every other month and people/vendors/producers could contact you for items to auction off?

I'd totally put something up for charity auction, but I don't have the time right now to monitor an auction. And with deference to the seasons, put the fresh pod type things up when they are ready and save the bottles for the winter.

Sorry if I'm off base and not understanding your intentions. Please clarify if I'm not getting it.
SL

GPS,

is this what you are thinking, or maybe hoping... Vendors could put something up for charity auction to the charity of their choice. Are you saying, you'll monitor the thread and auctions etc? to answer questions, etc?

Is this what you were thinking or am I putting words in your mouth? Maybe do a Charity Auction every other month and people/vendors/producers could contact you for items to auction off?

I'd totally put something up for charity auction, but I don't have the time right now to monitor an auction. And with deference to the seasons, put the fresh pod type things up when they are ready and save the bottles for the winter.

Sorry if I'm off base and not understanding your intentions. Please clarify if I'm not getting it.
SL

Good questions.

I was honestly thinking each vendor/member could run their own auction. However, if someone does not have time to run an auction I would gladly run it for them. If I were to do that, I would basically just need a picture or two of the product, the description, and your selected charity. I would not want to be responsible for the physical products though, I would not want to raise any suspicions if something happens with the shipping. I am not sure how we would handle the payments either. I guess I could receive the payments and make the donations to your charity if necessary.

Let me know what your thoughts are on this. I have never done anything like this but I am very motivated to find a way to make it work for everyone that wants to participate.

i am a volunteer mainly for voter registration but we also work with the homeless and restoring people's rights. I haven't read the entire thread. In my experience, you have to choose a charity that is near and dear to you because people get burned out...and frustrated very quickly if you don't have a personal connection to it.

If you want to use Chilies as your vehicle....i think your best option is to sell them here on THP and state they are for charity in the auction - people are willing to pay more for a good cause.. You get the most return for your donated dollar buying and helping locally - IMHO.

Sophie

salsalady- something told me I could count on your support, I know we probably haven't had much direct contact but you have always seemed like a sweet lady.

So what I would really like to do is separate the charity auctions out rather than throw all of the contributions into one auction. This way each vendor/member can pick their charity and raise some money. I think it would be great for each auction holder to match the contribution they raise but I understand some will not be able to. I will probably set a limit for my auction because if we get some crazy large donation I may not be able to match 100% without mortgaging the house. I want to stay true to my word and not change the terms mid-auction if something unforeseen happens.

Also, discussing particular charities, in my opinion, is staying on topic, it was the questioning of the source of my products that I took issue with.

I too find most causes meaningful. I hope to be able to do this on a regular basis that way I can target more charities.

Perhaps make it a Raffle type auction where each say $5 - $10 donated gets a number and then raffle of each prize donated by picking numbers from a hat (once drawn that number cannot win a second time but the same person can win multiple prizes if they have more than 1 number entered) --- could also give the donator an entry for the drawing for say each $10 of prize value donated - so that you might get more donations to include in the raffle and if a vendor was chosen for their item it gets placed back in the hat and redraw another (that way they can win some other products but not their own) Figure you could just have the donators ship the prizes directly to save the double postage (sending to you and then you shipping the winner)

Also that way everyone can get involved and donate as much as they feel like without having to donate a large amount and you'll probably get a larger donation than if just selling each donated item to the highest bidder.

Open question to anyone who can answer- please PM to me if you don't want to clutter this thread. How does one find out where to send things to overseas troops?

http://www.anysoldier.com is the best. Donate $1 or 2 to help them keep their site running (optional but suggested) and you can request addresses of soldiers in harm's way. :cheers:

So on second though, handling the payments for other auctions scares me even more than handling the products. I would be happy to post the auction, answer questions and communicate with the winner but I think payment, shipping and the final donation to charity would have to fall on the vendor/member who is contributing the product. I would hate to lose trust because I made a mistake somewhere or something unforeseen happens.

So here is how I am going to do my auction. Again, I am very open to feedback so feel free to point out anything that might make this run smoother.
  1. I will start a seperate thread this evening detailing the products that will be in the auction. As of now I have decided to put up a 4-6 oz mixed bag of pods (bhut, yellow bhut, chocolate bhut and douglah), 1 oz bag of smoked ghost peppers, 1 oz bag of smoked ghost pepper powder, 1 oz bag of dried yellow ghost peppers, 1 oz bag of dried tepins, 1 oz bag of Triple Threat powder (something new I am working on, its a superhot blend). Auction will need to be open to US residents only due to the fresh pods. I will work on another auction that is open to worldwide shipping soon.
  2. I am going to run the auction from tonight until Sunday night, giving 48 hours for bidding.
  3. My first charity is going to be Operation Homefront, more charities to follow.
  4. I am going to match up to $200 for the auction. I want to match 100% but for obvious reasons some limit must be placed on it. I can't see the auction going above $200 even though it would be great if it did.
  5. Auctioned items will ship on Monday, Aug 13th.
  6. I will foot the bill for shipping, that way all the money raised goes straight to the charity
  7. Donation will be in the name of "Members of TheHotPepper.com"
  8. I will post the reciept of the donation to the auction thread once I have recieved it.

D*mn you JD! I love your idea and had I seen it before I wrote all this out I might have gone that route. There is always next time. You want to work on the plan with me?

D*mn you JD! I love your idea and had I seen it before I wrote all this out I might have gone that route. There is always next time. You want to work on the plan with me?

Wouldn't mind working with you on something -- figure it would probably take some time to set things up and get donations etc. so maybe after you finish this one we can work on setting something up for the holiday season (perhaps tie it in with a military or children's charity during the holidays and have the drawing somewhere before the holiday so the prizes can arrive during the season.) If interested send me a PM and we can discuss it.

Actually..once I got home tonight I decided to look into some charities here in Florida that were "In the red" so to speak....ones that actually try to do something meaningful, for the good of the public, for the good of the environment around us....I landed with the IGFA! The International Game Fish Association......I want to help raise awareness across the world about our Oceans AND the life found in them! I'm going to contact them and see what I have to do to set this up...They are a VERY worthy cause and I hope some of my fellow Chili heads agree! I will figure out what I will action and then post it ASAP! :)

Back