• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cheap Potting Mix

This is my attempt at some inexpensive DIY potting mix. It's pretty easy to make up your own recipes, but not always so easy to get the pH just right without spending a lot of time experimenting. So, I figured I'd post my concoction here for others to use as a starting point.

I consider this a seedling mix or one suitable for adding your own nutrients as it does not contain a whole lot of rich organic materials. The goal of this mix was to create something inexpensive with excellent moisture control. I hope to have a few more ingredients in a week or so (Mycorrhizal Fungi, better composted materials, etc.) and may attempt a richer mix recipe soon.

Recipe used:
  • 40% Peat
  • 20% Cheap Potting Soil
  • 19.3% Sharp Sand
  • 10% Perlite
  • 5% Vermiculite
  • 5% Manure
  • 0.4% Lime (4 FlOz per cubic foot of final mix)
  • 0.2% Bone Meal (4 Tbs per cubic foot of final mix)
  • 0.1% Potash (2 Tbs per cubic foot of final mix)
NOTE: Measurements are by volume, not weight. All ingredients used were dry and loose (not compacted). When measuring volumes, each component was shaken and tapped on a hard surface a bit to settle them first.

Total cost for 1 cubic foot (excluding tax) is approx: $5.50 (Cost could be reduced by buying the perlite in larger quantities.)

Ingredient Detail:
  • Peat: Premier Shagnum Peat Moss (brown) ($9.75 for 3 cubic feet at Lowes)
  • Cheap Potting Soil: Garden Pro Potting Soil (40 lb for $2.87 at Lowes)
  • Sand: Quickrete All Purpose Sand ($2.98 for 50 lb. at Lowes). This is 'sharp sand'. It is important to use this type, and not playground, beach or pavers sand.
  • Perlite: Miracle Grow Perlite ($4.55 for 8 qt. at Lowes)
  • Vermiculite: Sta-Green Vermiculite ($4.72 for 8 qt. at Lowes)
  • Lime: Soil Doctor Pulverized Garden Lime (quick release, powdered) ($3.18 for 40 lbs. at Home Depot)
  • Bone Meal: Hi-Yield Bone Meal ($3.99 for 4 lb. at local garden center)
  • Manure: Garden Pro 1-0.5-1 Dehydrated Manure & Humus ($2.84 for 40 lb. at Lowes)
  • Potash: Epsoma Quick Solutions Potash ($13.49 for 5 lb. at local garden center)

Soil Test:
A one quart sample was isolated out and mixed with distilled water for a day and was shaken frequently. Then the sample was dried out in the sun, crushed and the tests were taken as per instructions. The Mosser Lee Soil Master kit was used to test pH and N-P-K. NPK values are only measured as 'low', 'medium' and 'high', but it gives some idea of contents I would guess.
  • pH: 6.0 (I expect that the pH of the mix will rise slightly in time as the lime and other ingredients meld a bit. If I get a chance, I'll measure it again in a couple of weeks and post the results here.)
  • Nitrogen: (N) Very Low (Expected, I use Diluted Fish Emulsion to water down transplants)
  • Phosporous (P): Medium to High
  • Potassium (K): High (Unexpected, too much Potash perhaps?)

Sounds pretty good I think, but doesn't sound all that cheap @ $5.50 plus tax per cubic foot. I pay $28 + tax for 3.8 cubic foot bales of Pro Mix BX, which expands to about 7 cubic feet. $28/7= $4 per cubic foot. I would be worried about that excess potassium locking out magnesium and calcium. Also, I would ditch the cheap potting soil and just replace it with peat. Those 40 lb bags of cheap potting soil contain dirt and are really heavy and dense and not well suited for containers. You could even go higher on the peat than 60%, Pro Mix BX is 80-85% peat. I think your pH should drift up a little like you said. Also, pine bark fines is another option if you can find them.

i toss coffee grounds, used green tea bags and ground alfalfa in my homemade mix. i also toss in ground eggshells and when i have enough banana peels saved up, i dehydrate and grind them up and toss it into the mix as well. today, i got a lead on a local supplier of worm compost, so i hoping to toss that in as well.

Sounds pretty good I think, but doesn't sound all that cheap @ $5.50 plus tax per cubic foot. I pay $28 + tax for 3.8 cubic foot bales of Pro Mix BX, which expands to about 7 cubic feet. $28/7= $4 per cubic foot. I would be worried about that excess potassium locking out magnesium and calcium. Also, I would ditch the cheap potting soil and just replace it with peat. Those 40 lb bags of cheap potting soil contain dirt and are really heavy and dense and not well suited for containers. You could even go higher on the peat than 60%, Pro Mix BX is 80-85% peat. I think your pH should drift up a little like you said. Also, pine bark fines is another option if you can find them.
I was starting to think the same thing about ProMix when I figured the cost of the Mycorrhizal and other higher grade ingredients, just haven't been able to find it locally yet. I used the cheap potting soil merely cause I bought one bag to check it out lol. When opening it, I immediately saw is was heavy and terrible drainage-wise. The only reason why I used some of it in this mix is because I read somewhere that peat doesn't have many micro nutrients. I'll do some more research and see if I can find the park fines, etc. before making a new recipe. I don't have much confidence in the potassium test results, but further mixes will have less potash added.

Thank you!

i toss coffee grounds, used green tea bags and ground alfalfa in my homemade mix. i also toss in ground eggshells and when i have enough banana peels saved up, i dehydrate and grind them up and toss it into the mix as well. today, i got a lead on a local supplier of worm compost, so i hoping to toss that in as well.
Good ideas, thanks!

Back