• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chef Jeff's "Crushed red pepper"

Hi all. Not sure if I'm in the right area or not, so if not please move me to the right area. My question is, for those of you that have Chef Jeff's plants available at your local nursery, or anyone with knowledge of their plants, do you know exactly what variety their plant labelled crushed red pepper is?

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Nope, he does rename some stuff it seems, have you checked his website? My guess is cayenne
Yeah checked the site. All it says is-
CRUSHED RED PEPPER FLAKES
This highly productive plant produces cone shaped fruit with a spicy flavor that are perfect peppers for Homemade Red Pepper Flakes. Homemade flakes typically have a richer color and stronger taste than the store-bought version. Dry this pepper variety alone or mix with several of your favorite mild peppers. Create your own special family blend that can be used in virtually all your recipes or as a topping for pizza or pasta. Make it hotter or milder starting with this great spicy pepper. Dry peppers in oven or food dehydrator until brittle before crushing. Crush with rolling pin or in a food processor or coffee grinder.

All of my herbs and purchased pepper plants this year are Chef Jeff's. My bet is that it's something similar to chile de arbol or japones. Those are commonly used to make pepper flakes, if I'm not mistaken.

And it looks like I am indeed mistaken:

"Red pepper flakes are made by roasting chile peppers, and then crushing them. The high percentage of seeds that remain account for the heat of the final product. The peppers used, mostly California, cayenne, or New Mexico chiles, range from 16,000 to 20,000 Scoville units."

Phil said:
All of my herbs and purchased pepper plants this year are Chef Jeff's. My bet is that it's something similar to chile de arbol or japones. Those are commonly used to make pepper flakes, if I'm not mistaken.
And it looks like I am indeed mistaken:

"Red pepper flakes are made by roasting chile peppers, and then crushing them. The high percentage of seeds that remain account for the heat of the final product. The peppers used, mostly California, cayenne, or New Mexico chiles, range from 16,000 to 20,000 Scoville units."
Seems like a grow it to see pepper then. I've got space in my garden so why not? At least the bhut I bought seems to be growing true.

Back