• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Chef John's version of Sriracha

Fermented for five days, stirred up well once per day.  Going to let it rest in the fridge for a while and give it a sample.

r100_9652_zpsc1824ba7.jpg

r100_9653_zpseea9b035.jpg

r100_9660_zpsfbe01ad8.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Mine is VERY tasty! Went down like this last night.

11501_10200496215392284_1346726451_n.jpg
Looks so tasty!

So, inspired by this thread, I've got a similar mash fermenting - and aggressively too after 48hrs.  Should I keep this ferment under a week or let it go longer?  Never tried a fermented sriracha.

cayenne indonesian, is that the long pepper in the blender? hows the heat and flavor on those? i love thai bird peppers, but they are a pain to pick and make sauces with being so small. i am looking for a larger version with similar flavor and heat for next season.

brownb4 said:
cayenne indonesian, is that the long pepper in the blender? hows the heat and flavor on those? i love thai bird peppers, but they are a pain to pick and make sauces with being so small. i am looking for a larger version with similar flavor and heat for next season.
Yes, the longer wrinkly ones, heat and flavor are very good. I give them a 3 of 10 on heat.

I have been trying to make fermented batches of sauces, I have made cooked batches that turn out pretty good and thought heck why not, but I am wasting alot of peppers and things don't seem right, I follow whats written but keep having the yeast die on me by 2 weeks and white mold grows on top. Frustrated

I could be missing something, but he mentions trying to fool his friends and make them believe it's "store bought" sauce... The last thing I want my sauce to taste like is store bought... If I wanted that I'd just grab a bottle of "Texas Pete" or "Tobasco" and press on...

VR,
Harold

Whitewookie said:
I could be missing something, but he mentions trying to fool his friends and make them believe it's "store bought" sauce... The last thing I want my sauce to taste like is store bought... If I wanted that I'd just grab a bottle of "Texas Pete" or "Tobasco" and press on...

VR,
Harold

His recipe is to replicate Huy Fong Sriracha, which is store-bought.

Ok..I am a newbie to hot sauce making.  I followed Chef John’s recipe exactly.  I also stopped the fermentation after four days like he says.  The hot sauce was almost exactly like Sriracha.  I then made the next batch exactly except this time I double the amounts of everything.  I also had it in a large jar with a glass lid but let the fermentation go until it stopped (7days).  I noticed that by letting it go longer it ended up with a off smell and taste (sort of sour)  but not like a vinegar or fermented taste, almost like it started to go bad.  Is this because I let it go longer and also let air in by stirring twice a day.  I have read here on the board you should not introduce any oxygen after putting into the containers.  If I would have had it air tight with a bubbler on would it not have had the off flavor?  thanks.

It was but I am just trying to learn and do this the right way.   I guess where I am getting confused is that some recipes call for only a few days fermenting and others take a couple of weeks or months...thanks

Back