• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chefs and super hots

Captain Caliente said:
If you are marinading with a powder it certainly works. If you are cooking fresh food, chile powder is never as good as a fresh chile. Gordon Ramsay would agree with me. Im good with that.

I'd like to see you make a chipolte sauce from "fresh" peppers. :lol:

Fresh is not always best. Mexicans use lots of dried peppers in their salsas, dishes, and moles.

Texas chili is a mix pf powders and dried chilies, etc.

You are limiting yourself when you restrict yourself to fresh, with the mindset of "fresh is better."

Also when I like my Thai dish kicked up I prefer to spice up the curry paste that is used as the base, which is not from fresh peppers. I don't like too many fresh peppers in my dish. Sometimes here I ask for extra hot and they just load it with julienned peppers, sometimes jalapeno. I really find it hard to eat and would rather it be spicy with the correct ratio of peppers to other veg.

Indian is another cuisine that uses lots of dried chilies and powders.

Open you mind to the dried. :D

D3monic said:
Powder has its uses, more as an after garnish than to cook with.

Disagree. I do use it on pizza but rarely sprinkle it on after otherwise, it has many cooking uses actually. Last thing I can think of I made was baked beans. Adding powders similar to a spicy BBQ rub really kicks them up and gives them a BBQ flavor. Some bourbon, mustard, and maple syrup. Boom.

OK, so I traded sauces with Warrant Man. His sauces arrived today. The packaging is fun. The sauces look great. But I told him that I would do a live review on camera. So, this eve I will review his sauces with a delectable smoked Chuck Roast as my food source. I will also, dry these chiles that I've just picked from the garden and will review them as well! Sugar Rush, Trinidad Yellow, Primo Yellow and Morugas.
VarietyofYellows.jpg

I think I tried dehydrating sugar rush last year wasnt fond of how they turned out. I like dehyrating floral peppers like bhuts as it seems to relieve them of that granny perfume taste. I really havent shared very well this year. New job has me working through post office hours. Really should have sent out more pods this year. Hopefully Ill do better with sharing sauces this winter (i say as Im still sitting on a case of steak sauce)

The Hot Pepper said:
Only way that would work is in a hot pepper-themed restaurant. Offer superhots at your local joints as your "hot" version and be prepared for horrible reviews for food you can't eat and lawsuits. "I asked for it hot and it burned my throat, I ended up in the ER, STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!"

If you want to chef up some superhots, a themed joint is not a bad idea.

We'll call it Chili's! ....wait..FUCK!

I feel like you'll have a lot of fun using Superhot chinense prefer, especially the yellow ones. That as some brightness and heat to any dish.... I've never had dried Sugar Rush, so i can't comment on that.

But i still feel like you're missing out until you try to use some of the chiles that are traditionally used dry and/or powdered. For all chiles, i feel like the flavor, aroma, and overall experience is altered by the front process... But some of them, the signature notes are only present in dry form. I am especially thinking about peppers like Guajillos, de Arbols, Tien Tsins, Pasilla Negra. And if course, something like a Poblano is great in both fresh and dry form, but they even change the name between the two, because the experience is so different.

I fell in love with dry Aji Panca a few years back. When i grew them fresh, i was hugely disappointed. They were entirely different fresh, and in my opinion, not very good...

Well Ive worked in hospitality now for 15 years and only in the last 5 years or so are the general population beginning to know about superhots. The California Reaper apparently is the hottest in the world lol.

I work at the Raveswood hotel in West Oz and the head and sous chef both grow and use superhots at home as well as in the garden behind the kitchen. Its hilarious when a patron asks for EXTRA HOT and still think Thais are the hottest chillies lol

And no we dont give out free ice cream to those who didnt know what HOT meant and got Reaper powder and freshly chopped Ghost in there meal :) youd think the waiver they must sign and the stern warning from the waitress would be a good clue as the poor girls cop the red faced douche bag in distress every time hahaha

Good thing MOST people have a good sense of humour around here. We do have two chilli festivals every year though so we are slowly educating the public which is a good thing for the chilli industry I think. People are starting to ask for superhots in their meal now!

Jase4224 said:
Well Ive worked in hospitality now for 15 years and only in the last 5 years or so are the general population beginning to know about superhots. The California Reaper apparently is the hottest in the world lol.

I work at the Raveswood hotel in West Oz and the head and sous chef both grow and use superhots at home as well as in the garden behind the kitchen. Its hilarious when a patron asks for EXTRA HOT and still think Thais are the hottest chillies lol

And no we dont give out free ice cream to those who didnt know what HOT meant and got Reaper powder and freshly chopped Ghost in there meal :) youd think the waiver they must sign and the stern warning from the waitress would be a good clue as the poor girls cop the red faced douche bag in distress every time hahaha

Good thing MOST people have a good sense of humour around here. We do have two chilli festivals every year though so we are slowly educating the public which is a good thing for the chilli industry I think. People are starting to ask for superhots in their meal now!

Excellent news. The Captain could not be more pleased to hear this news from the West. Keep the line steady!

I am no chef. I'd probably strangle people both customers and kitchen staff alike. It would not be pretty. But I do cook a lot. As much as any "non-chef" type. And I cook what I like. What my family likes. And they generally like what I like...well, because I'm The Captain.

My thoughts about powders are consistent. I love them. I will always use them. I prefer cooking any flavor into the actual base flavor of the dish. Heat and oil or heat and liquid will always provide a much better depth of flavor than adding a seasoning at the end. For example, if you cook salt into a dish it spreads the flavor and permeates every vegetable, every meat that is cooking in the dish. Adding salt after the dish is done is also great. However, the salt only has one dimension if you add it at the end.

Chile powder is and always will be superior to salt. It is more complex. The flavor is more flexible. So adding chile flakes after the dish is cooked is always great. Yet, you will achieve a more pleasant and complementary flavor if you cook the pepper or chile powder into the base of the dish. In such a case, the fresh chile is better. It is much healthier, it has more flavor and it easier to manipulate the flavor of the actual pepper with heat shields such as simple sugars, fats and oils.

I agree with everything you said except that chilli is superior to salt.. they serve two totally different purposes. Without salt you cannot balance the seasoning of a dish whereas chilli balances and contributes to flavour.

If you like your salt the BEST SALT EVER is Murray River Pink salt from eastern Australia. It comes from the town Mildura where I grew up. It is a natural resource that is pink due to the minerals in the salt. It has a lovely texture that is addictive to eat straight up.. it doesnt taste like salt its hard to explain but it adds an explosion of pure flavour.

Do yourself a favour and buy some online! Trust me you wont go back to normal salt ever again..

Hi Jase. I will definitely look into that salt. Here is a tough question that I'm sure all of would struggle with. If you had to choose between salt or chili flakes for the rest of your life. Which would you choose?

Salt.....Because I could use Chile puree, Chile sauces,frozen Chile's, fresh Chile's....Could live without Chile flakes.

That was easy....:lol:

Back