• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chile de Onzo and Matchu Pichu

rebelgrower3

This was the first year I grew these that I got from the Chili pepper Institute.   The only thing I have done with them so far is to dry them and make a pepper powder out of them.  Nice and mild, not much heat, but a nice flavor.   I hope I am talking about the same pepper, because when I did a search on google, I get 2 different peppers.  One is like the one I have, red and about 2 -3 inches long, and the other seems to be a purple/brown collored one that is more heart shaped.  That is not the one I grew this year.

The stems are quite fuzzy on the one I grew, and then the plant was youger, the stems were quite fragile.  I had several break off this spring when the winds kicked up, but later they seemed quite strong.

Hope this is some info that might help.

hey REB I have both of those there on my list :dance:

rebelgrower3 said:
Does anyone have any information on these varieties?
chile de onzo is a C.ANNUM SPECIES that has a brown cherry pepper like fruit very thin walled not very hot, I found the flavor to be not very good

macho pichu is a baccatum species I think but is very similar to AJI PANCA in many ways  not very hot flavor is ok

this is about what I know

I Grew macho pichu last year and my friend grew Chile de onzo a few times

I actually have seeds for both

thanks your friend Joe

Thank you both for the replies. Yea ajijoe that's why i ask i made a list of seeds I'm ordering from you and these were on there. I decided against the chile de onzo and replaced it with another. I sent you a pm.

I am going to grow Machu Picchu this season from AjiJoe's seeds. I too have found information on the net to be very limited. I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Does anyone out there have any pics they can post of the pods & plants?

rebelgrower3 said:
Thank you both for the replies. Yea ajijoe that's why i ask i made a list of seeds I'm ordering from you and these were on there. I decided against the chile de onzo and replaced it with another. I sent you a pm.
ok

yeah to be perfectly honest is about one of the worst tasting chiles i have ever had, you would not have been happy with it

thanks yuor friend Joe

ms1476 said:
I am going to grow Machu Picchu this season from AjiJoe's seeds. I too have found information on the net to be very limited. I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Does anyone out there have any pics they can post of the pods & plants?
i found it to be similar to AJI PANCA, BUT NOT QUITE AS TASTY

thanks your friend Joe

Back