• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chile de rata?

Hi folks,

So, I was browsing some seed sites, ordering stuff for the 2011 season. My girlfriend wanted me to grow something milder too, so I thought about just doing a few chile de árbol plants. Then I noticed this on Trade Winds Fruit's website.

de Rata Pepper

Trade Winds Fruit website said:
Similar to the popular de Arbol pepper, with slender fruits growing to 1-3". Fruits have a medium heat, a bit less than de Arbol and are versatile in their uses. Great for flavorings, with good heat, but mild enough to enjoy flavor.

de_rata_pepper.jpg

I'd heard de árbols referred to as "cola de rata" (tail of the rat) before, but never of an individual type of chile called de rata. As you can see from the pictures, it doesn't look much like a de árbol.

I ordered some seeds from them last week and they arrived today. I'll be setting them up for germination in the morning, and would be thrilled if someone could shed some light on this for me (even if it's just to say that I'm a dummy and it's actually a well-known strain).

I think there is a commercially grown "De Arbol" that most people are familiar with and then there are many other types of chile peppers referred to as "De Arbol" by the local people from where the particular chile originated, and when they are passed on or collected by an "outsider", the collector rightfully calls them by the name the locals referred to the pepper as. So there are several types of "De Arbol" peppers out there. I hope that I made sense?

Made perfect sense! I'm going to email Trade Winds and see if they have any information on where it was initially cultivated. Thanks for the reply!

Hi folks,

So, I was browsing some seed sites, ordering stuff for the 2011 season. My girlfriend wanted me to grow something milder too, so I thought about just doing a few chile de árbol plants. Then I noticed this on Trade Winds Fruit's website.

de Rata Pepper

de_rata_pepper.jpg

I'd heard de árbols referred to as "cola de rata" (tail of the rat) before, but never of an individual type of chile called de rata. As you can see from the pictures, it doesn't look much like a de árbol.

I ordered some seeds from them last week and they arrived today. I'll be setting them up for germination in the morning, and would be thrilled if someone could shed some light on this for me (even if it's just to say that I'm a dummy and it's actually a well-known strain).

Back