• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chile powder peppers

Last night I made some dried Thai dragons into chile powder and the stuff is AWESOME!!

Its a little too fierce for my wife so I KNOW then when I make some with my Caribbean Reds and Naga's that I'm the only one thats gonna be using it :-)

The question is, what pepper makes a great flavorful chile powder thats
got a little bite to it, but not monster heat? I'd like to grow some of that next year
and make her happy too :)

Datil Powder is lovely and agree with bent jalapeƱo or Serrano make nice powders for your spicy meals :)

I really love the milder mexican chiles like guajillo, cachuca, chimayo, cascabel, anaheim, ancho, mulatos etc. You can add habs or others for more heat if needed.

Great flavor with no monster heat? For me cumari and goats weed comes in mind, but I think it really depends on the level of heat tolerability of your wife.
Pimenta da Neyde too have a great flavor with no so heat, and have the plus that the powder will be black! cool!

Vito

I agree with Potawie, Ancho powder is just great! I put a few spoons of it in every chili I cook, enhances the taste massively.

I stir fried up Thai Dragons with chicken last night...and your right, they really do have great flavor. The heat was definitely there, but not too excessive.

agree with Potawie and Chiliac...milder chiles for the flavor/color and some others to add heat...I use anaheim, pasillo bajio, and cascabel for my basic powder than add others for color/heat....it makes the chile a really pretty color...dangit...I am going to cook a double recipe of chile tomorrow...

Back