• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chile uses

Ok Ill just start with my grow list since I know I can't find a comprehensive list of all chiles being grown here.... show your grow list, or build off of this one, and what you plan to use them for....

Jalapeno (Bonnie from Lowes) salsa, chipotle, chipotle powder, general cooking (fajitas, poppers, pickled, nachos)
Cayenne (Bonnie from Lowes) powder, flakes, some cooking (pickling)
Chile Red (Bonnie from Lowes) cooking, powder, flakes
Poblano (Burpee) stuffing, general cooking, powder
Biker Billy Jalapeno same as regular jalapeno
Long Slim Cayenne same as regular cayenne
Anaheim roasted for green chile and green chile sauce, and stuffing, maybe powder, wifey is from New Mexico, so mostly green chilie
Chocolate Habanero hot sauce, powder
Caribbean Red seasoning (powder), hot sauce, general cooking, possibly some in salsa
Yellow Scotch Bonnet seasoning (powder, jerk seasoning), hot sauce
Bhut Jolokia seasoning, hot sauce, lower somebody's ego
Fatalii seasoning (powder), hot sauce, general cooking
NuMex Big Jim see anaheim
Peruvian Chinese not sure?
Yellow 7 Pod seasoning (powder), hot sauce, lower somebody's ego
Trinidad Scorpion seasoning (powder), hot sauce, lower somebody's ego
Yellow Mushroom not sure?
Manzano Rocoto mix not sure?
Lemon Drop seasoning (powder)
Chile de Arbol see cayenne

Feel free to add varieties and uses or add uses to varieties already shown. Would love to see what you guys do with all your pods.

How about usage in crowd dispersal smoke bombs made from Bhut Jolokia, pepper sprays, Elephant deterring bricks, pastes made from Bhuts and Peri Peri, Pain killer liquids, Acne removing liquids, so on and so forth.

Yes those are good too...but Im not sure how many crowd control (SWAT guys, or the Indian equivelent) we have here making their homemade ordinances for the job lol. Very good uses, I was thinking a little more simply as far as at home, "every day" uses in culinary applications. While I haven't had the chance to speak to you or much interaction on here with you NJA, you're always thinking outside the box. I like that.

Well... last year I grew a bunch of cayenne plants and, honestly, got sick of them. Cooked with them a few times, and didn't think they were very good at all. Maybe they would be better dried and crushed, but I don't care for crushed red pepper... get stuck in my teeth/gums.

Serranos, they weren't bad with cooking, but IMO there just wasn't enough "meat" to them, but they are nice; similar to jalapenos. Jalapenos are good for cooking but too low on heat, and this year since I have some plants I plan on making poppers.

I cook the ground beef for my tacos and enchiladas with three regular (orange) habaneros, and have tried habanero brownies (but three habs is too much for brownies, lol... leads to stomach irritation/burning).

I had a tabasco plant last year, it looked nice (probably one of its greatest strengths), loaded with peppers, I probably got 250 off of it. I used to cut a tabasco pepper off occasionally as a snack, for a quick heat fix. I also cooked tabasco in some foods and although I'm not crazy about it (and got sick of it because I ended up with so many), it is a pretty nice pepper. It has to be picked green though, IMO tabasco peppers get worse as they ripen.

This year I'm growing loads of different chinense species, including various habs, fatalii, nagas, scorpions, scotch bonnets, datil, etc. I figure I'll use the majority of them like orange habaneros, just some of them (like the Red Savina, Trinidad Scorpion, etc.) in different amounts (ie. not three in tacos). The Bhut Jolokia/Naga Morich are another story... they look huge (especially the bhuts), and I'm not sure how I'll use them. Half of one maybe in cooking? Less? I'll have to figure out something to bring it down to tolerable levels.

JustinNC said:
Yes those are good too...but Im not sure how many crowd control (SWAT guys, or the Indian equivelent) we have here making their homemade ordinances for the job lol. Very good uses, I was thinking a little more simply as far as at home, "every day" uses in culinary applications. While I haven't had the chance to speak to you or much interaction on here with you NJA, you're always thinking outside the box. I like that.

Thanks mate for your kind words.
I am considered by many as" A man outa my mind....LOL

Gonna have caribbean reds and yellow scotch bonnets out my ears it looks like. Iol. I think I got 100 percen germination out of the caribbean reds.

As with most foods, a little bit of cooking/browning goes a long way. I'm not a huge fan of raw cayenne's myself, but under the broiler for a few minutes makes a world of difference...great on a quick pizza.

I make lots and lots of salsa every year. Last year I put up about 40 pints in addition to the jars I gave away or didn't last long enough to can. This year I will probably make more as I am out already and still have at least a month before I get tomatoes and peppers to make more. I use different peppers for different people. Use a couple of japs for a mild salsa for the kids, a couple habs and a couple japs for a medium salsa for most other people, and about 4 or 5 bhuts (or whatever superhot is available) for me. Each batch is about 6 pints.

Last year I made some hot sauce out of some naga morich and it was wonderful, so I will be making a lot more this year using different peppers for different tastes and heat levels. Also just gotta have some powder/flakes for spicing up the plates too. Unfortunately don't get to use many for fresh cooking as the rest of the family can't handle the heat.

jacob

Back