• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Chili ain't good without beans

You've never had good chili!
wha.gif

~Dig
wink.gif

Starchy fillers, sometimes okay, but try chili no beans made the right way, meat must be chili grind, and lots of it, and lots of chilies.

Chili con carne = Chilies w/ meat.

I simply can't imagine a bowl of chili without delicious, nutritious kidney beans. My mom made us heaping pots of the stuff during the winter when I was a kid. The idea of chili without beans horrifies me.

Well you know it's a well divided issue, so what is the point of the post? Some like meat some like beans. I don't really care who likes what.

Chili with beans is blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***I just took the bait***

I actually had never heard of the debate until I joined this forum. I'm arbitrarily declaring myself the final arbiter on the issue, and hereby hold that chili absent beans is fraudulent conduct falling within the scope of RICO.

I like chili either way. I personally make it with beans normally, but that is because I am cheap and beans cost less and are more filling than meat. I am pretty sure with most competition chili you are allowed nothing but meat and sauce.

I have determined from living down here where Chili was born, some people just ain't got a clue...yankees sheessshhhhh.... :)

***hope you know the yankee thing is J/K***

I for one am very offended. :lol: I resemble that remark, AND I put beans in my chili, albeit not normally kidneys.

well, JayT...there are exceptions to every rule...except beans in chili... :rofl:

Ok, my gramps who was born in Mexico demanded Pinto beans, cooked in a pressure cooker, served in a seperate bowl NEXT to his pork chili. yes, chili WITH beans. not chili IN beans!
So everybody's right... no? except for the kidney bean thing I don't get that.
What about Skyline/Cincinatti chili? ever had that? that's got kidney beans (4-way I think). I make it once in a while but to me it's not chili, I mean, it's got noodles!!!!!

i agree no beans..but I grew up hearing beans make you fart..ergo i have a dilemma with a 10 yr old son to make him eat something that makes him fart..lol..good times :)

Ok, my gramps who was born in Mexico demanded Pinto beans, cooked in a pressure cooker, served in a seperate bowl NEXT to his pork chili. yes, chili WITH beans. not chili IN beans!
So everybody's right... no? except for the kidney bean thing I don't get that.
What about Skyline/Cincinatti chili? ever had that? that's got kidney beans (4-way I think). I make it once in a while but to me it's not chili, I mean, it's got noodles!!!!!
Skyline/ Cincinnati Chili does not cook the beans and noodles in the chili though. So it is not filler. You can order a bowl of skyline. Cincinnati chili gets it origin from greek and macedonian roots. In fact the only common ingredients between it and texas chili is meat, cumin and chili powder. There is nothing like a good 3 way. :) :)

So your from there, lucky dog! sorry I can't spell sincinnnattee. what's with the crackers? I do absolutely agree, 3 way all the way! do crackers make it a 4 way? i'm getting off topic... oops

Well I fall off on both sides of the fence on this! lol I am a card carrying Competition Chile Cook, but I actually like beans too, guess it was a result of my poor childhood where we ate lots of pintos, maybe from living in Honduras and Corpus Cristi TX as a child? Then in South Louisiana with Red Beans or White beans and rice at least once a week. I personally think that chile is what the chuck wagon cooks made it, dried beans, chiles, and any meat that was available on the cattle drive. Now if you want a really good all meat Chile, my "Bowl of Doom" Chile is pretty damn good!

Back