• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Chili ain't good without beans

Well I fall off on both sides of the fence on this! lol I am a card carrying Competition Chile Cook, but I actually like beans too, guess it was a result of my poor childhood where we ate lots of pintos, maybe from living in Honduras and Corpus Cristi TX as a child? Then in South Louisiana with Red Beans or White beans and rice at least once a week. I personally think that chile is what the chuck wagon cooks made it, dried beans, chiles, and any meat that was available on the cattle drive. Now if you want a really good all meat Chile, my "Bowl of Doom" Chile is pretty damn good!

CASI or ICAS?

I like it both ways - but around here its primarily with beans w/o on a hotdog -

**Crazy Rednecks** j/k ^^^ ;) ^^^

Not another beans vs. no beans thread, hasn't this been discussed enough
Personally I hate beans in anything but chili, and even then you don't want to overdo it because beans can easily dominate the flavor. Pinto or kidney beans are the only types of beans I would ever add, and preferably pintos

when i make chili, i always add beans. not just red kidney. i usually decide when i am out grocery shopping that i will make chili. then into the bean aisle i go. garbanzo, pinto, white kidney, romano, black eye or sometimes i put in the mix blend of beans - i wait for the emotion to kick in, then decide. never have used lima or lentils that i can remember.

once, when i was getting in touch with my feminine side, i made vegetarian chili! how's that for taking the thread somewhere else!

BEANS !
If I was served chilli con carne without beans I would feel cheated.
I don't think we should let this issue divide us and cause arguments. We should all aggree that people who don't like beans in their chilli are a pox on society and need to be shot out of a cannon into the sun. It's the only fair thing to do.

Let's put an end to feud. I think if the bean people just start saying soup instead of chili that should end it. Agreed?

It will never end, it has been going on forever, and I in good conscience cannot call my chili soup it's chili with beans.

Mostly ICS but I have cooked in a few CASI events, Chile is totally different depending on the sanctioning body. AJ you don't subscribe to the "Goat Gap Gazette" do you?

cool Butch and agree on the totally different where you cook...

goat gap gazette?...off to google land to check it out..

I won't feud any more boss...just trying to stir the pot (pun intended) a little

I think its great that people make their chilli differently and how its evolved in different regions. It would be pretty boring if we had to go by strict rules just to make a home-made pot 'O red.

Well I fall off on both sides of the fence on this! lol I am a card carrying Competition Chile Cook, but I actually like beans too, guess it was a result of my poor childhood where we ate lots of pintos, maybe from living in Honduras and Corpus Cristi TX as a child? Then in South Louisiana with Red Beans or White beans and rice at least once a week. I personally think that chile is what the chuck wagon cooks made it, dried beans, chiles, and any meat that was available on the cattle drive. Now if you want a really good all meat Chile, my "Bowl of Doom" Chile is pretty damn good!
I'm a card carrying ICS member myself.
And one thing I realized after my first few competitions...is how different parts of the country like their chili.
What wins first place in one region, won't even make the finals table in a neighboring state.
But in all my competition experience, I never had anyone refuse the chili I served because it had beans in it(especially if they had already had a taste).
A good tasting meaty chili with beans...is still a good tasting chili, and one can choose to eat the beans...or eat around them.Those folks that don't like beans, do it all the time.
In fact,one of my secret ingredients(non-competition) is using some re-fried beans as a thickener(if needed) instead of corn starch or arrowroot.(oops...now the secret's out.)

The chili w/wo bean debate will always be with us....just like the Red Sox and the Yankees....martini's stirred or shaken...what State breeds the finest race horses...etc.

I am in the "with beans" camp. However, a great chili dog is better without beans, you have a starch all ready with the bun, no need to add more.

When I make chili {soup, lol} at home, my favorite is to use three meats and three beans. One of the best was hamburger, pork sausage, and hot links with pink, black, and pinto beans. I actually entered it in a chili cookoff. But it was at work for a charity drive, and I got second place. I was beaten by a chicken chili........

In fact,one of my secret ingredients(non-competition) is using some re-fried beans as a thickener(if needed) instead of corn starch or arrowroot.(oops...now the secret's out.)

Funny you mention that, because I've considered doing the exact same thing for years but never actually tried it for some reason. I usually just pull out about 1/3 of it and put it in the blender, then add it back in.

I prefer chili without beans, but I will add some black beans or kidney beans if I'm feeling like it, or for extra nutrition and carbohydrates.

Back