• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chili as ornamental plants

I know we mostly grow them for the pods, but some of these plants are truly wonderful to just look at.

This is a 6 month old "Twilight" that I moved indoors a few weeks ago (pics taken yesterday)

decoblog201.JPG

decoblog202.JPG

For some reason they refuse to stop producing fruits, so I'm still harvestng every few days. :)

decoblog200.JPG

I better go browsing the recipy forums again.

Are the ornimental varieties worth eating? Ive never tried them.

Im a functiuonal person...... everything has a purpose and IMO even Jalepinos look good on the bush.

I did grow some peppers years ago that went fron several colours of purple, yellow, white, orange, green, black ect to a bright red when ripe and looked great.

They were very tasty and bloody hot as well.

they were some sort of asian pepper.... cant remember variety.

cheers

tony05 said:

Im a functiuonal person...... everything has a purpose and IMO even Jalepinos look good on the bush.

I did grow some peppers years ago that went fron several colours of purple, yellow, white, orange, green, black ect to a bright red when ripe and looked great.

They were very tasty and bloody hot as well.

they were some sort of asian pepper.... cant remember variety.

cheers

Black Pearl,Little Elf,Prairie fire :)

That good hey girl............. will stick to the propper ones then.

Im sure some of htem are fine to eat but will stick to the "regular" peppers.

I will admit though..... i have seen some fantastic hedged made from dwarf chilli plants sprouting millions of little peppers. They do look great.

cheers

rainbowberry said:
Lovely pictures, what are you going to do with the Twilight pods? Just asking because I ate one last Sunday.

Well, um, I tasted one too, and I can't say it was a pleasant experience... so I might just look at them for a while. :)

tony05 said:
I grew a Black Pearl this year and piclked them with my others. Some of my neighbors grow ornamentals only so yeah you can use them like any pepper

I'm growing the Numex Twilight, Bolivian Rainbow, Little elf and the black pearl this year and i'm looking forward to what I get. Even if it's only the look of the plant.....Will reserve my judgement on taste till I can get some pods....

Back