• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ChiliNoobs first glog [2014]

Hi all,

I figured I should start a glog this year to document all of the mistakes that I'm inevitably going to make.

This is my third year growing hot peppers, but only my second year growing from seed.  Last year I grew 30 plants but only managed to get pods on ½ of them. 

I did pretty much everything wrong last year:
  1. Sowed seeds too late
  2. Didn’t give seedlings enough light
  3. Didn’t harden off the plants sufficiently
  4. Overwatered
  5. And so on…
My goal for 2014 is to get ripe pods from every seedling that I plant out.

Here is my planting list (so far...):

Seeds-2014-02-19.jpg

(edit: excel sheet was messed up, it has been corrected and updated)

All seeds were sown into peat pellets with the exception of the Anaheim (paper towel method).  My plan is to keep just one or two plants from each variety sown.  

013c00a3afd60f0d614f4e342f19adf4798e8a23bd.jpg

Some of the seedlings are a bit leggy, hopefully I can cure that by planting a little deeper and busting out the new light that I have ordered.

I have more seeds that arrived today, I haven`t decided which ones to plant yet...

I am also over-wintering a few of the plants from last year that did not produce pods:
·         Trinidad Morouga Scorpian Blend
·         Naga Jolokia (not sure if this one is going to make it)
·         Chocolate Habanero
·         “mystery” Habanero
·         Scotch Bonnet
·         Piri Piri

Critter identified - pesky rabbit spotted munching on my plants. Not that it matters any more, as my season is done.

I brought seven plants in to overwinter before the frost hit yesterday.
Douglah
Lemon Habanero
Orange Habanero cross
Mustard Habanero
Fatalii (yellow)
Burpee Burning Bush
Aji Cerezo

Most of these were chosen because they under performed this year and I expect them to do better in year two. Only exception is the Burpee Burning Bush, I brought it in because it's loaded with small pods and I'm hoping I can get them to mature over the next few weeks. The Aji Cerezo will sit in a south facing window, while the others will be under a ghetto grow light in the basement. I chose to not prune any of them, (a couple were pre-pruned for me by the rabbit). We'll see what happens...

Last harvest:
15510313645_0b4716e655_b_d.jpg

Also picked a bunch of greens, going to try a making a green sauce with them:
15328181310_b97d7c944d_b_d.jpg

Only plants left are the Aji Amarillo and Aji Pacay which I protected from the frost last night. There are no more sub-zero temperatures forecast in the next two weeks, so I may get lucky and get a few ripe pods (fat chance). I haven't managed to get a ripe Pacay yet, here what the pods look like, much longer than I expected these to be:
15328313618_7f7931382e_b_d.jpg

Hope to see everyone next year. TTFN.

Back