• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chilli ID

My missus wants me to find and grow a certain type of chilli for pickling (Sichuan style, she's originally from Chongqing).
I've managed to find the right type, but am wondering if anyone can ID/match it as one that may be more commonly known in Aus/US/UK etc.

In China it is known as a "Dang" chilli:
http://www.3456.tv/b...oyan/pro_128448

It weighs 70-120g, is roughly 10cm (4") long and 5cm (2") wide.
It is thin walled, sweet when green (unique taste apparently) and has low to medium heat (can get as hot as a Tien Tsin).
They ripen to red, but seem to be mostly eaten green.

There is also a larger variant called the "Feng".
http://www.lynongye....roducts_lj.html

It weighs 90-100g and is roughly 15cm (6") long and 5cm wide.

They are also supposed to be excellent for stuffing with "meat" and cooking.

Your links don't work.

Ah, sorry. They work for me, but here are the images:

The "Dang"

Dang.jpg

and the "Feng"

Feng.jpg

I haven't seen those chillies before myself. I looked on chileman's website and didn't get any pictures of one to compare, but they suggested "japones" were the principal pepper used in Szechwan dishes.
And that NGUA KOK TSIU was another szechuan chilli.

edit: But both of them look like thin pods, so definitely not them, they are both cayenne shaped. Sorry.
The chillies you are looking for look awesome though, do tell us when you find them, I want some.

Thanks for trying Pablo_h, it's got me stumped as well.

The closest I could find to that shape was a Agronaldo De Asti, but don't know anything about the size, heat or flavour of these.

Edit: If I end up finding them, I'll try to send you some seeds.
I'll see if I can order some from China.

I just asked for you in another forum. It's not chilli related, it's a computer tech forum, but there is already a thread there about chillies, and heaps of people with families from other countries go their due to the fact it's a computer tech forum. So hopefully...

Thanks for that.
I was thinking of asking in the Whirlpool, but the chilli thread seems to have died over there.

Yeah, that died a while back when lord viykor stopped posting, like he stopped posting here! Don't know what's up with that, as he still is a moderator for the automotive section of WP and active in that role. But anyway, I joined up here when the WP chilli thread died.

But I just asked in OCAU, but the only people actually posting in that thread is quan time and milk_man. But maybe many more read it than post in it.

Some of my Peter Peppers looked like that

I can believe that, there seems to be a few different types that look similar.

I'm guessing this Chinese type might be an Annuum??

In China it seems to be referred to as "thin skinned green chilli/pepper" or "tiger skin green chilli/pepper".
I did a search on Taobao for 薄皮青椒种子 and got a page of results for seeds of the same type, so I'll try to get some sent across and see how it goes.
These type are supposedly very productive.

If they weren't as wide as they are they resemble Fushimi and Shishito peppers.
4 in. long with the lobed bottom,med heat to mild.
But the ones of either I've grown were at most 1 inch wide.

When I google Chinese Peppers,Dang or Feng I get xxx dang or feng pepper or Dang xxx Feng xxx pepper.
There were Hybrids that were named similar but didn't look like what you are looking for.

I trade with people in Japan,Vietnam,S.Korea,malaysia and have a friend in China Right now.

I'll see if they can help you out.

Getting stuff out of China is at best a 50/50 possibility.
If the post office people think your package is valuable they keep it,if it's quiting time your package may end up in the trash so it looks like the guy made his quota or whatever.
Dan has tried sending me stuff and I've sent him stuff that once it gets to their post office it gets lost forever.
Chances are very low that he can do more than give me info.
Seeds might have a 1% chance of getting to the U.S. and maybe less getting through customs here or there.
I'll ask and see whats up...
I just talked to Dan 2 days ago.

Yes, I think "Dang" and "Feng" are hybrids bought out by different companies.

I originally did a search for 砀椒 (Dang pepper) that found the first photo in the 3rd post.

Thanks for helping with this.
My wife is going to try ordering some to be sent to one of her family in China, who'll forward them over here by EMS.

I know what you mean about it being 50/50 getting stuff out of China and am lucky to have in-laws there.

I've checked up on Australian customs/quarantine in regards to importing a small quantity of seeds from China and shouldn't have too much of a problem if the seeds are properly packaged and identified.
http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casecontent.asp?intNodeId=8289101&intCommodityId=23727&Types=none&WhichQuery=Go+to+full+text&intSearch=1&LogSessionID=0

If I can get enough, I'll send some out to anyone here who wants to try growing them.

Back