• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Chilli Lime Chicken Recipe

Chili Lime Chicken

Ingredients:

zest of 2 limes, bitter white pith removed

1 garlic clove

1/4 cup fresh cilantro, loosely packed

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 jalapeño peppers, about 3 inches in length, stemmed, halved and seeded / or any other pepper you'd like

1/2 cup lime juice

2 tablespoons orange marmalade

2 teaspoons chili powder

¼ cup extra virgin olive oil

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to an even thickness,

about 1/2-inch

Directions:

Using a blender chop the lime zest using pulse. With the machine running, drop the garlic in to chop, 5 seconds. Add the cilantro, salt and jalapeños, pulse to chop, 5 times. Add the lime juice, marmalade, and chili powder, process to combine, and with the machine running, add the olive oil in a steady stream, processing until emulsified, about 30 seconds.

Place the chicken in a shallow dish or large sealable plastic bag. Add half the marinade, turning the chicken thoroughly to coat. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes, but no longer than an hour.

Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill. When hot, grill the chicken, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. The chicken is done when the juices no longer run pink when tested, take care not to overcook. Remove to a warm platter, cover loosely and let rest.

Just thought I'd stop by and let you know I tried this recipe earlier this week. It was awesome!

The lime zest / juice gave a really nice citrus punch along side the orange marmalade!

I did sub a small hab (deseeded/deveigned) for the jal, though. :-) Just enough to liven it up, but, not overpower.

Thanks for the simple but great recipe!

edit: also, you mention to use 1/2 the marinade, but, never instruct what to do with the rest. I just reserved some before adding the chicken and used it to baste a couple times near the end of grilling.

EB ,

First I have a question. When you used "chili powder " did you mean chili powder like for making chili , cumin and other spices? Or a powdered chili ......

I took your recipe and adapted it to my taste. I used a Harold's St Bart pepper. Because I don't like the flavor of "chili making powder" with chinense type peppers, I used a little of my homemade Jamaican Curry powder. I also used a little more orange marmalade. It was SUPER. The lime juice , cilantro , and orange marmalade really make a great base with lots of flavor.

Again thanks for the recipe.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Alright!! I made this again...this time WITH a pic of the final results. :)

Though, this time I didn't use cilantro (was out and forgot to pick some up). Better with the cilantro, but, still pretty darn good!

3919957967_3ab4e4faa4.jpg

Oh, and p. Dreadie...I used chili powder like for making chili. I figured if he meant a powdered chili, he would have been more specific as to type of chili.

That sure does look nice ......... thanks for your thought on the chili powder. I can see it added color , mine only had the color from grilling. Yours has more eye appeal. This is such a nice base you can play around a little and still have a tasty dish.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Maybe a dumb question, whats the chili powder used for making chili, i want to have a crack at making this tonight. I was just going to use the ceyenne powder i have, will this not work.

Any help appreciated, it does look & sound great

\m/

chili powder that you buy in the grocery stores is a mix of actual chile powders and other spices like cumin, paprika, etc etc. It is not pure chile powder. It also varies greatly. If you are looking for a good mix of pure chile powders for your chili, pm Alabama Jack. He has put together a great mix for different heats and tastes from what I remember.

Thanks for the info, worked out ok because thats'exactly what i used.

The meal was sensational. I did it as a stir fry, everything was done the same, only difference's i cut my chicken into strips and marinated them for half an hour, then sealed them in a frying pan & set them aside, cooked the rest of my vegies, added the chicken & noodles then just as it was about to come of the heat i put the remaining marinade over the stir-fry.

It really was a great flavour......would've taken photo's but it just looked like a normal strir-fry, just tasted more amazing.

Thanks for the recipe.

\m/

chili powder that you buy in the grocery stores is a mix of actual chile powders and other spices like cumin, paprika, etc etc. It is not pure chile powder. It also varies greatly. If you are looking for a good mix of pure chile powders for your chili, pm Alabama Jack. He has put together a great mix for different heats and tastes from what I remember.
I think you're thinking of chili mix for making chili. What's called "chili powder" generically is all peppers usually ancho. The chili vs. chile spelling usually throws people off.

I think you're thinking of chili mix for making chili. What's called "chili powder" generically is all peppers usually ancho. The chili vs. chile spelling usually throws people off.

I rarely use the chili powder that comes in the bottles or the little tins (you know the ones I mean!) Therefore, they tend to sit for long periods in my spice cabinet. I swear they don't taste very good.....kinda weak and bland.

Am I correct in assuming that they lose flavor and potency by sitting like most spices do?

Here in Australia we don't make "chilli" as much as we make "chilli con carne". Any mention of "chilli" means a chilli pod, or powdered chilli. It's never used to refer to the dish with beef and beans etc. In US this dish seems to be abbreviated to just chilli which is the confusing part. Here you can buy "chilli powder" which is just powdered chilli, or you can get what is usually called "chilli seasoning" in order to make chilli con carne. The spelling of `chilli` vs `chile` doesn't apply over here.

Now I'm hungry for chilli con carne. And it MUST have beans.

Edit: Nice recipe but I haven't got any chicken at the moment. I might try to make it next week.

Back