• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chilli plant smell

I was potting up a tray of chilli seedlings the other day and the smell that came of them when disturbed was something I associated with inside a Chilli Pod. This has happenned before as well.

The plants had no buds, flowers or fruits, they only had 4 or 5 sets of leaves each, and there were no other pods on the property or sauces that I had handled. The chilli smell definitely came from the plants, it was as though someone had cut a mature pod in half.

Anyone noticed this or know a reason for it?

What type of seedlings Moo? I get this with my Manzano's, but not experienced it with anything else though...

Hey, I've smelled that before! I think it was one of my C. praetermissum babies last season that did it. I've also had non-wild seedlings do it too.... but I've never pinpointed which ones. From what I can tell, I think it's triggered after a watering.... but I dunno.

I haven't noticed a specific species involved but I'm guessing the plant makes the smell in a certain state - like right temp, after a watering and little wind so it doesn't disperse for instance. Strange indeed. I knew I wasn't crazy and imagining it!!

Back