• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Chilli puree base

I want to know if hot sauce makers on this site start with a chilli puree as a base to then make other sauces from that, and what method you use?

I'm considering this because I have a large amount of frozen chilli pods.  Way more than I can, or would want to turn into sauce in one batch.  Need to make room in the freezer so I can't leave them in there.  So I thought to make a concentrated puree and bottle it, then use it in sauce recipes when I need it.

Obviously I need to put some acid in it like lime juice so it will keep, but don't know about other ingredients.  Anyone have any ideas?

I did the same thing last summer when i had a huge cheap supply of habaneros. I would puree them.. add the correct amount of lime/lemon juice to lower the ph then freeze the result. I have done a couple of sauces using the frozen chiles and they turned out well. I suspect you could take the puree and heat treat them and put them in 1/2 gallon jars to free up the freezer space also. I still have about 1 1/2 gallons of those waiting for me to try something different. As far as other ingredients.. probably not.. if you added like a fruit it could possibly encourage yeast activity.. so i keep it simple and add in the fresh items ( like mangos , pineapple, dragon fruit, cherries, etc ) when i'm doing the final sauce or jelly.

Just my 3 cents..

Steven

chsy83 said:

Sometimes it is hard to find something if you don't already know it is there.  I am planning on trying that recipe out this year.
I'll be giving a go this weekend :D  I'll post pictures if my eyeballs don't burn out of their sockets.

Back