• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chilli Salt

djinn said:
I would like to share how I made my. Salt beerbreath81

The recipe is like this

Pepper powder what ever pepper/heat you want course good sea salt.
Portions are all in how much you want to make. ..
Just remember you are going to get almost all what you put into it
Heat water to boiling add finely ground peppers into water reduce heat to low.
Steeping the peppers like tea is the key. Add salt once you have your tea made
Let the water evaporate you have a great flavoured salt.

I use Pyrex cake pans to dehydrate my salts

I forgot to add once you have the tea steeped you want enough heat to dissolve the salt.
And if making a big batch I would often put the Pyrex in the oven after making dinner etc. If doing that make sure you leave door open as to let as much water evaporate and leave the area.

Hope this helps

Djinn
Thanks Kevin for posting this but I'm a little confused by your recipe and have some additional questions...
Are you using powder or fresh peppers or both?
When you say you will get out what you put in are you refering to quanty of salt.
Does the liquid level in the evaporation vessel determine the crystal size?
Do you leave completely untouched until fully desolved or do you stir
Did you have a problem with the salt sticking to the pan

I think my problem was I made it too thick...needed more water

Get a good sized canning jar.
fill Jar with salt
cut peppers and put in jar (as many as you want)
tighten lid really tight
stick in a cool dark place, flip jar every 24hrs
I leave mine everywhere from 1-2 weeks

Put entire slurry on a dehydrating tray and dry
pick out full pepper pieces and grind those into a hot salty powder
I put salt in a bag at that point and let it sit a few months as the heat will increase the longer it sits.

bluemeanietsi said:
Get a good sized canning jar.
fill Jar with salt
cut peppers and put in jar (as many as you want)
tighten lid really tight
stick in a cool dark place, flip jar every 24hrs
I leave mine everywhere from 1-2 weeks

Put entire slurry on a dehydrating tray and dry
pick out full pepper pieces and grind those into a hot salty powder
I put salt in a bag at that point and let it sit a few months as the heat will increase the longer it sits.
Slurry???...should there be water in that jar of salt

AaronRiot said:
Hmm..

Wonder if there'd be a way to do it and infuse flavour and heat from the peppers but avoid the actual peppers being in the salt. I feel like just mixing the peppers in makes more of a spice melody than a salt.

Like say you blend up fresh peppers and warm water and a load of salt, then let it sit for a day or two or whatever, then strain into a pot through a coffee filter to remove the plant material, boil the water off and gently bake until the salt crystallizes and there you go - flavoured salt.

I have not done this with chilies but I have made my own sea salt. Think I will give it a go this summer.
Make sure you have a widow open with a fan.
Nothing worse than having to run in with eyes burning and longs hacking to turn off the burner.

I dry it in a frying pan.

Make your pepper-salt mix, dump in a pan to about 1/4" depth. Apply med-high heat, shaking pan to keep the vegetable bits from burning. You may want to do this outside since it will throw off some spicy fumes.

Buzz said:
experiment by adding different dried herbs to it.... rosemary, basil, thyme, etc.

I'm not a salt person, how un-American of me, but this is a great idea! I consider pepper powder to be a salt alternative.  I mostly just use pure powder to dust everything but when you start adding herbs, then it starts to narrow the foods you can put it on.

No joke, every meal besides breakfast gets a nice dusting of pure Douglah or Moruga Scorpion dust. Even goes well on salads.

thirdcoasttx said:
I just threw course sea salt, a mix of herbs and spices from the cupboard, and yellow moruga powder I got from pepperlover in a molcajete and ground it all up. It was the bomb! I use it to season everything which reminds me I need to make some more.
This is how I do it at home. I just add whatever dry herbs and peppers with some Mediterranean sea salt and mix it in a blender, molcajete , mill or food processor. Today my first batch of jalapeno and habanero peppers were dehydrated and I made powder out of them. Now I'm going to make a nice salt n pepper blend with some of it.

Back