• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ChilliNZ's as-close-to-nature-as-I-can-get-it GLOG!

Hi.
Okay, maybe not that close. I'm using good quality potting mix from the plant shop for everything.
I first started off using two hot water cupboards - I don't know if you have them in the US but it is just a hot water cylinder for your house and makes the cupboard within which they reside warm-ish - depending on how old they. What you want is basic and/or old and then, they aren't as efficient.
I first started off a few Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow, a few Fatalis and a couple of Rocotos in a plastic container at my girlfriend's beach house - that was nice and warm but we could only stay a week. The chillis didn't quite pop and they ended up going into the second hot water cupboard at my grandmother's house.
It simply wasn't as hot - I don't know why but that was, what? 5 weeks ago? Maybe only 4? I had some success but it really left a bit to be desired.
I then bought a 40 cell propogation tray with a cover and a nice heating mat from Nu-Klear NZ with the same potting mix and a nice little mister spray bottle.
I leave it on 24/7 next to a window and have chosen to start afresh with fresh seeds - the sun is there and half the reason for fresh starts is because a few of the seedlings have died from being transported directly from the cooler hot water cupboard to the sunny and warm heating mat area. They just go white and die.
Anything that survives from the heating cupboard will be considered extras but the heating mat works a LOT better.
I have a Naga Morich hook in about 4 weeks in the cupboard - it has popped up in 1 1/2 weeks on the mat. Same with basically everything but I am still waiting on a lot to germinate but the signs are good for the next few days.
I didn't soak any seeds - I just sowed direct into potting mix.
The list of what's in or going in is here with times etc.

Carolina Reaper - not in yet. Generously donated by forum user "Sanchez".
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T Mississippi Stain. Not in yet. Generously donated by forum user "Sanchez".
Brown 7 Pot. Not in yet. Generously donated by forum user "Sanchez".
TS Moruga Red - not in yet. Sourced from Mr. Duffy.
Douglah - In on the 10/10/12 - 0/3. Sourced from Neil - HippySeedComp.
7 Pot Primo - not in yet. Sourced from Mr. Duffy.
7 Pot Jonah - In on the 10/10/12 - 0/3. (Heating cupboard - 3/4 but 4 weeks)
7 Pot Brain Strain - in 19/10/12 - 0/3. Sourced from Neil - HippySeedComp.
TS Morouga yellow - In on the 10/10/12 - 0/3. (Heating cupboard - 4/4 and 3 weeks) Sourced from FireDragonChillis. *Update* - 2/3 21/10/12.
7 Pot Yellow - In on the 10/10/12 - 0/3. (Heating cupboard - 1/4 and 4 weeks.) Sourced from Neil - HippySeedComp.
Bhut jolokia - In on the 10/10/12 - 1/3. (Heating cupboard - 3/4 and 3 weeks). Sourced locally.
Orange Scorpion - In on the 19/10/12 - 0.3 Sourced from Neil - HippySeedComp.
Naga Morich - In on the 10/10/12 - 1/3. Sourced from Neil - HippySeedComp.
Jamaican Hot Chocolate habanero In on the 10/10/12 - 0/3. (Nothing from the cupboard either..) Sourced locally.
Fatali - In on the 10/10/12 - 0/3. (Cupboard - 4/4 and 2 weeks.) Sourced locally.
Congo Trinidad - In on the 10/10/12 - 0/3. (Cupboard.. 2/4 and 3 weeks) Sourced locally. *Update* - 1/3 22/10/12
Caribbean red - In on the 10/10/12 - 2/3. (Cupboard - 4/4 and 3 weeks) Sourced locally.
Mustard habanero - In on the 10/10/12 - 0/3. (Cupboard 1/4 and 4 1/2 weeks) Sourced locally.
Orange habanero - In on the 10/10/12 - 0/3. (Cupboard 1/4 and 4 1/2 weeks) Sourced locally.
Scotch bonnet - In on the 10/10/12 - 0/3. (Cupboard 4/4 and 2 1/2 weeks) Sourced locally.
Bonda ma Jacques - In on the 10/10/12 - 0/3. Sourced from Neil - HippySeedComp.
Rocoto - In on the 10/10/12 - 2/3. (Cupboard - 2/4 and 3 weeks) Sourced locally.
Bird's Eyes - In on the 10/10/12 - 0/3. (Cupboard 0/4) Sourced locally.
Purple jalapeno - In on the 10/10/12 - 0/3. (Cupboard 1/4 and 1 1/2 weeks) Sourced locally.
Serrano.. f**k it. I don't care about these.
Aji yellow - In on the 10/10/12 - 0/3. (0/4 cupboard) Sourced locally.
Ancho - read above!

Anyway, I'll post pics soon.
The seeds that were bought from "proper" chilli seelers were the Primo, both Morugas, Douglah, Naga Morich, 7 Pot yellow, Brain Strain, Orange Scorp, Bonda Ma Jacques and Rocoto.
What does everyone think?
Kinda odd that an orange hab wouldn't pop before a TS Moruga, right? Should I be talking to the seller - the thing is, I could've gotten seeds for most of these for the same price from Jim Duffy as the amateurs online in NZ!
Let me know if there's anything I'm forgetting.

Patience is a virtue. Keep the temps and humidity constant and you will get hooks. Any type of seed can have delayed germination...they can be lazy bastards sometimes, like a kid being woken up for school. "I don't wanna" ;) good luck! And you have a GF with a beach house....you're ahead of the game my friend.

Patience is a virtue. Keep the temps and humidity constant and you will get hooks. Any type of seed can have delayed germination...they can be lazy bastards sometimes, like a kid being woken up for school. "I don't wanna" ;) good luck! And you have a GF with a beach house....you're ahead of the game my friend.
I've got a beach house too but unfortunately, the hot water cupboard isn't contained but I guess the fact we've only it since the 60s is pretty cool :D

Anyway, Yellow 7 Pot 2/3 overnight! That's 21/10/12.

Back