• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Chinese bbq pork recipe wanted

salsalady

Business Member
I am looking for a recipe for that red pork served in Chinese restaurants with ketchup, hot mustard and sesame seeds.

All the char sui recipes are a sweet glaze. Not what i am looking for. Ingredients on the Jin Hwa are-
Pork, sugar, soy sauce, water, salt, red color, curing salt, garlic, spice.

Any thoughts, tips, tricks or recipes?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Any thoughts, tips, tricks or recipes?
When it comes to Chinese cooking, “red sauce” is something you save from one batch to another and the more times you use it the better it gets. Or so said the guy who wrote a cookbook that was a head chef at the MGM Grand in Vegas. Maybe an idea hint :P

I had a red sauce I cooked chicken in and would save it in the fridge and cook with it repeatedly. It didn’t go bad and got cooked well enough.

I think I can envision what you’re after, that sticky not really sweet but mildly savory sauce for things like ribs.

Thanks for the suggestion...but not char siu. That has a sweet sticky glaze.

I am looking fot the not glazed, kind of dry, red pork that is a chinese restaurant appetizer. Served with sesame seeds, hot yellow mustard and ketchup for dipping.

maybe the components are 2 dry rubs like dried mustard, sesame seed, and Nam yue (red bean curd)?

worked in a Chinese restaurant and never saw any ketchup anywhere... only worked there for the fortune cookies, still haven't won the lottery :(

Cheers!

Last edited:
Ketchup is served at the table. With hot mustard (something like Colemans dry mustard),

I will set up and post a pic...

Be back soon...

I can ask the chef tomorrow if he knows, but it will probably cost me a slap to the face with a Chinese cleaver, when I mention ketchup. This family is straight out of mainland. They practically sleep there. Hard working maldunes.

Tink, that is closer, but the color is different. I will give it a try. Thank you.

I love that mysterious red pork

1694648432377.png

GS, what is that dish called on the menu?

I asked another gal I know of Chinese descent about this pork dish, and when I mentioned ketchup, her face got this cringed up expression, like she had just been forced to lick a cats butt. She said, ketchup!!!!???? I don't know...

Last edited:
Char siu can be many different things from sweet and sticky to dry. The key ingredient is 5-spice powder (which in itself can be confusing, often containing more than 5 spices and varying in content from region to region).

Having said that, if it has ketchup and mustard, it's probably an American Chinese invention.

Back