Chipotle Making

cheezydemon said:
Smoking is easy. I would advise using 1 wood to start off, or how will you know which one added which flavor? Ill advised.

Recipe:........;)

1 pork butt

Marinate in tons of pepper powder, salt, pepper, brown sugar, and paprika (if you didn't add that in the pepper powder)

Let it sit coated overnight.

Sart coals to one far end of grill....

Add wet wood chips until flames are out.

Suspend meat over a foil pan full of beer or water, on the far side of the grill from the heat. Close Lid.

Use digital thermometer to keep the temperature inside the grill (not inside the meat) below 235f.

Add chips or water when flame ups occur.

Repeat for 10-13 hours.

Don't let the temp below 180 for more than a minute or 2.

Pull apart in a foil pan with 2 forks.

If not tender, you phucked up.;)

No sauce should be needed, but season to taste if sauce is your thang.

Serve with cole slaw, buns, onions, homemade pickles, corn on the cob, and lays chips.

IF NOT TENDER.........

Cook, covered in the oven for 2 hours or so at 215F

Thanks for the tip I took some notes and gave it a go. I added a few things though. Let me know what you think here is the link.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=12096

POTAWIE said:
Funny, I make my smoked peppers with only chiles and smoke.
Not much of a process, just add cold smoke for as long as you can and then make sauce or finish drying in a dehydator if neccessary

What temp do you cold smoke them at? I know for different types of fish I use specific temps and was not sure what the best temp for peppers where exactly.

I think a lot depends on what you're using them for, and how much smoke flavor you want to have. I usually try to keep the temps as low as possible, I don't want them to get crispy and cooked, just dehydrated with infused smoke.

LGHT said:
Thanks for the tip I took some notes and gave it a go. I added a few things though. Let me know what you think here is the link.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=12096

What temp do you cold smoke them at? I know for different types of fish I use specific temps and was not sure what the best temp for peppers where exactly.

;).

You look like a seasoned pro!

Make that a basted, marinated, seasoned and injected pro!

Something tells me that wasn't your first go around....

If I want to dry them out quickly I cut them open but usually I want to smoke over a long period of time so I just poke holes or cut some slices. I find that by keeping the pods intact as much as possible they look better and possibly hold the flavor better, and you can also fit more pods on the smoker

I've been on a grill for over 20 years and I'm a member of the California BBQ association so yeah you can say I've smoked a few things before. I was just mainly concerned with the max temp to avoid cooking and or loosing flavor. Should I only use wood as a fuel source or a few charcoal bricks?

Also how long do I leave my jalapeño pods on the tree before pulling them? Seems like I have had some on for at least 2 weeks and they are still the same shade of green. Does it take several weeks for them to fully ripen or do I pull them and just let them ripen off the tree?

They are not ripe until red.

They are not hot until fairly mature.

They taste way better red.

OH! and charcoal is OK, but I use lump charcoal or wood chunks to start. No "briquettes".

Briquettes....hmmmm...... sounds kind fruity.....;)

Ok thanks for the tips. As far as the Jalepeno's do they all turn red? I think this plant came from a local nursary so not sure exactly what variety it is, but I have had pods on it for a while and they are not even close to turning red. I can recall seeing a big fat weird shapped one that I didn't want to pick over a month ago and it's just as green as ever. How long do they take to mature months or just a few more weeks?

I have my Cayenne plants that seem to be doing this. Im one of those guys that has to literally go out and look and my babies every day. One of my plants has over 14 peppers and still none have turned red so I started picking of flowers and newly created peppers in hopes that it may help. Anyway to answer your question to the best I can, every pepper has at least a "premature" and a "mature" color. More often it is from green to red but some varieties can go through muliple color changes. In the case of a typical Jalapeno, it will be ripe (and is best to wait until it is ripe) when it turns red. Hope this helps you out.

crazy8 said:
Anyway to answer your question to the best I can, every pepper has at least a "premature" and a "mature" color.

I have a cayenne also and mine did this for the first 2 weeks and after I plucked those when ripe it seems that the new fruit goes from green to red in a matter of a week or so. However the Jalapeño has had peepers on it for over a month that show no signs of turning red at all. I was just trying to get some idea of time on how long it would take. I'm just wondering if months for a jalapeño to turn red is normal or not.

Im just now starting to see little tiny flower buds on my jalapeno's (good thing I planted 8). With the cool summer we have had Im starting tot hink over all that it has affected the plants a little. But we still have all of August so we will see what happens.

Yeah, that's pretty normal LGHT. I inevitably get impatient with my Japs and end up eating some green, only because it does take quite a while for red ripe ones. If there are plenty on your plants, there's no harm in eating a few greenies to tide you over! However, if they're full sized, it may be a few weeks before you start seeing them ripen. Your wait will be rewarded though, as the sweetness increases drastically, and a ripe Jalapeno is almost a completely different pepper than a green one.

They're always a bit hotter when ripe too in my personal experience, however technically I've been told all peppers are hottest just before they ripen. Still, the ripe red ones are where it's at. And they will ripen.

IMHO.........

*Disclaimer They Sell Green Japs at my local grocery*

Any homegrown should be allowed to ripen if you can buy green ones.

Red ones are hard to come by.

FiveStar said:
Yeah, that's pretty normal LGHT. I inevitably get impatient with my Japs and end up eating some green, only because it does take quite a while for red ripe ones. If there are plenty on your plants, there's no harm in eating a few greenies to tide you over! However, if they're full sized, it may be a few weeks before you start seeing them ripen. Your wait will be rewarded though, as the sweetness increases drastically, and a ripe Jalapeno is almost a completely different pepper than a green one.

They're always a bit hotter when ripe too in my personal experience, however technically I've been told all peppers are hottest just before they ripen. Still, the ripe red ones are where it's at. And they will ripen.

Thanks for the tip i'll just keep waiting. I already plucked about 10 green ones so I have those to tide me over a few days.

Just noticed a pod that is actually turning red. Not sure how long it's been on the plant, but another that has a weird shape that I noticed over a month ago is still dark green. Hopefully it will only be a few more weeks until i'm smoking my first batch of jalapenos

I was wondering something. I have about 7 Jalapeno plants going right now and Im sure my friend and I may make some chipotles with then. Now neither of us have a food dehydrator or a smoker. The closes thing we have is a grill. Is there a way we can still make chipotles if we decided to or will we need a food dehydrator or other appliance?

As others have implied, you can use a grill. Use the indirect heating method as you wood for smoking meat.

Back