• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Chocolate Bhutlah

Here in the US, I have heard the Chocolate Bhutlah described as the unicorn of the pepper world.  This confuses the heck out of me.  The same cross was available in the UK under the same name.  There was some arguing and the peppers in the UK took on the name brown bhutlah rather than chocolate bhutlah.

There is rumor that the Chocolate Bhutlah has a component that the Brown Bhutlah doesn't, but between natural varients and different growing conditions I could see the varients being understandable even if they are the same thing.

Why is it so so difficult to believe that someone in one country would come up with the same idea as someone in another country?

Exactly my point.  I have heard it told so many different ways, there should be a name othere than Bhutlah involved.  Please follow the logic.

The word Bhutlah indicates: bhut x douglah

As I understand the way the terms being used:

1. Red Bhutlah is that cross.
2. Chocolate Bhutlah (UK original use of the term) was that cross.
3. Chocolate Bhutlah (US) is that cross with a -suspected- additional cross.
4. Brown Bhutlah - The UK variety renamed to avoid confusion.

So to be clear.  Are you saying pepper number 3 has a third pepper -intentionally- bed into it and the original cultivator knows but that thrid pepper was, but nobody else does?  Or are you saying the original cultivator -thinks- there was an unintentional cross?

My thinking is that the genertic variance of Douglah is fairly refined but Bhut is naturally occurring with a wild range of genetics.  I think it's Pepper Joe that now offers a giant version of the thing.  So if the man says it is crossed with a mystery pepper and he is not giving names, OK.  But if it is just that he suspects it because one plant turned out dramaticlly different, I am thinking it is just as likely a genetic variance.

Time will tell, but when you consider the fact that seeds with the name Chocolate Bhutlah, there really should be a better naming convention.  See what I am getting at?

https://www.crazyhotseeds.com/seeds/chocolate-bhutlah/

I see where you're getting at with the name thing, but all of the Bhutlahs have different names, the original red bhutlah is called the Red Bhutlah CS for the initials of the guy who created it. The Chocolate Bhutlah everyone is raving about is called the Chocolate Bhutlah SM for its owners initials, and the Brown Bhutlah is Brown Bhutlah SLP. If what the person buys or trades for doesn't have those initials at the end. They're fake. As far as the cross, I've spoken to Steven Mclaurin personally and he said he thinks the 3rd cross is a Trinidad Scorpion Red but he isn't sure about the 3rd cross.

On the third cross, that is what I understood.  He -thinks- there was a cross.  The smaller a gene pool is, the more likely it is that you will wind up with recessive genes coming to the surface.  I assume you have seen the movie Deliverance.  I think it is just as likely that what he discovered was a happy genetic combination.  Sort of like the Butch T being a strain not a cross, only the strain in this case is of a cross.

But wait, I got a punch line for you:

Am a fan of Ted (FBI).  I am absolutely sure his samples came from the Steve you mentioned.  Examine the photographs.  The initials on the label seem to be CFD.  Of course the letters might mean something else, but there is a point to this madness.  Look at the photos.  Note he photographed them on a white Iphone to show size and wow, that is some size.

http://ted-the-fire-breathing-idiot.tumblr.com/post/57080983577/chocolate-bhutlah-chad-soleski-steven

Now look at this page.  Seems like the same iphone, the same pepper, the same white towel, and the same label which also reads CFD.  This ebay seller is in Italy and has excellent reviews.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peperoncino-CHOCOLATE-BHUTLAH-10-Semi-Selezionati-/161267248353?pt=Semi&hash=item258c46ece1

Same seller, same peppers, same towel, same tags, but in English with no iphone.

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/CHOCOLATE-BHUTLAH-pure-seeds-/151309336825?pt=Semi&hash=item233abd40f9

Oh but wait, I am not done yet.  Searching threw the UK seed sites and catalogs, they attribute the older references state the Chocolate was created in Italy.  The newer references use the term brown, not chocolate.  I assume this is to differentiate between the two.  So what we seem to have are completely different claims about origin: UK, Italy, US often with the same photos of the same peppers.

It is frigging insane.

It's not CFD but F1 written between brackets, it stands for the generation of the pod.

You're right, anyone could cross a Bhut and a Douglah and have his own Bhutlah, but, to make some clearness, let's begin to call Steven's one the Chocolate Bhutlah SM, because it is different from the others

As for the ebay seller, it's simple: he took the pic from Ted's site.
And the good feedbacks can refer on how he communicated with the customer, how fast was the shipping... You can't post a feedback months later complaining about what you got from that seeds...

Chocolate Bhutlah SM seeds are only in Steven's hands and a few, trusted friends of him

Guitarman said:

Chocolate Bhutlah SM seeds are only in Steven's hands and a few, trusted friends of him

The Chocolate Bhutlah seems to be not so rare anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's very rare but not the unicorn it was. I've seen it on more than a few grow lists and more than a few people planning on growing them in 2015 not just on THP. And every one claims they're the real deal and came either directly from the source or a friend of the source. Same goes for the Chocolate Brain Strain and different Lavas (these are the ones that make me wish I was part of the trusted inner circle, have been in love with these since I first saw them). I'm just really surprised so many people are growing pods that are supposed to be unavailable. Now I know Judy has friends and trusted people help her stabilize her works in progress and maybe Steven does as well. I'm just really curious every time I see a new person listing it in their upcoming grow. And yes they list it as Steven or standbyandfire.

This isn't a bash or hate for Steven or his Bhutlah. If I had access to it I'd be growing it in 2015. I have an off pheno of the red and chocolate that I got from a trusted member here on THP and will be growing those this summer and see what comes out. This is just a commentary on all the mania and sometimes hostility surrounding it.

2015 should be interesting for sure. With this mythical pod being so unstable and so many growing it, I can only imagine how many different phenos there're going to be come fall. White, caramel, peach, burgundy, evergreen? Who knows, but sign me up for peach. Hell I just saw a peach "Carolina Reaper" today on ytube.  

Craziness abounds in the chile world. Who would have thought that just a few years ago when the Bhut Jolokia was king that there would be so many crosses and so many names for these crosses and so many of the same crosses but with different names. With no real way to track it all people are creating crosses and naming them when there are already a dozen of that cross with a different name already. It's as bad as walking into a medical marijuana shop. 10 years from now people will be asking "what's a bhut jolokia?" while the new "it" pepper will be the Nagabhubrainscoreaplah Bronze F1.

Guitarman - Your eyes are much better than mine.  I suppose I would not have eve guessed that because I knew the photo was coming from a taste tester.  FBI was speaking in terms of This Is rather than This is one of Kaziions tht might be this in the end.  Know what I mean?  When I think of F1, I think of a shotgun blast and every pellet has to be looked at.

Scorched - I agree with you that it is not all that rare anymore, it is in more than one country, and much of it is listed as Steve's dna.  Not trying to insult Guitarman at all.  Maybe he is right that they are all bullshit.  Its just that I seem to remember when Steve was in the whole give the seed away school of thought.  Now he is in a Puckerbutt way.  Not saying there is anythign wrong with that.  Two different way of doing things.  He deserves to earn and if open source wont do it, then commercal is the only option.

Its just that if you are first open source, then go commercial, you gotta figure your open sourse is still out there.

On the Nagabhubrainscoreaplah Bronze F1: You better back off my extra protected serialized trademarked genetic bomb shell from the center of the earth.  I got lawyers ta deal with you bub.  The Nagabhubrainscoreaplah Bronze F1 thew F12 and beyond if you get a bigger keyboad is mine, mine, all mine.  Seeds are ten dollar, but you are not allowed to grow them.  They are for appearance only.

Hate to bump up an old post, but I was hoping someone could shine some light on the different chocolate bhutlah strains available. Which one is the more desirable strain, the U.K. Or the United States? And what are the differences in appearance?

I'm growing "Brown Bhutlah" from the UK. No idea on the validity of it or which version it is but I'm somewhat excited still. Albeit not quite as excited as for my Vipers and my jester-shoe-esque Infinagas. Those things look like they're going to be mean when ripe.

The coveted Chocolate Bhutlah SM is [Bhut x Douglah] X Butch T, is it not?

Aside from that there is the UK version as mentioned, there is also Judys (pepperlover.com) version which is Brown Bhut x Douglah. Crazy Hot Seeds also created a Bhutlah.

Because of the hype train, there probably a bunch of different ones out there.

Im growing this version, from refining fire (Jim Duffy)
Not sure which version it is.
qs71on.jpg

RaelThomas said:
Indeed, I've been sitting by my mailbox for a week now.
Please let me know how they arrive.  Someone told me Puckerbutt was sending seed orders in boxes now.  I would love to see how they ship seeds now, but don't want to buy anything from them because I am a commercial grower.  I wouldnt violate their contract, but figure if I ever order anything there might be some question down the line. 

AJ Drew said:
Please let me know how they arrive.  Someone told me Puckerbutt was sending seed orders in boxes now.  I would love to see how they ship seeds now, but don't want to buy anything from them because I am a commercial grower.  I wouldnt violate their contract, but figure if I ever order anything there might be some question down the line. 
Shall do, though I'm in Aus, so I hope you get yours sooner than I!

Back