• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Chocolate Hab Sauce

This is my latest experimentation with making sauce.
I thought trying out a sauce with only chocolate habs would have an interesting color.

10 large chocolate habs
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tbs spoon sea salt
2 tsp black pepper
4 cloves garlic
half medium oninon
1 tbs spoon season salt
a few bay leaves
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp kitchen bouquet

10 of these guys

P1000113.jpg

Didnt have quite enough to fill the bottle but enough to last me a while

P1000128.jpg

Looks and sounds like a marinade. A good one. (Minus the kitchen bouquet. Assuming that was for color.) I would have like to have seen the color of it before you added food coloring.

Looks like it'd be a good wing sauce. I've got a choc hab growing and can't wait until it starts to produce. Not sure if it's true seed or not, but I guess we'll see :). I love the dark color of the pods

The choco haba I grew and ingested was absolutely atomic.

Nice recipe !

Not too surprising that the brown Habs really kick it.

It seems that given a color range of from yellow, orange, red and brown/chocolate of various similar types of pepper, that the yellow is generally the mildest, with orange and red in between the much hotter brown varieties.

Not sure why this is, but others on here have said that the chocolate Bhuts, brown 7 Pods and choco Habs are considerably hotter than their yellow/orange/red counterparts.

And again, I'm not sure where the white peppers stack up against the browns, but the white habanero peppers are supposed to be quite hot too.

dvg

Not too surprising that the brown Habs really kick it.

It seems that given a color range of from yellow, orange, red and brown/chocolate of various similar types of pepper, that the yellow is generally the mildest, with orange and red in between the much hotter brown varieties.

Not sure why this is, but others on here have said that the chocolate Bhuts, brown 7 Pods and choco Habs are considerably hotter than their yellow/orange/red counterparts.

And again, I'm not sure where the white peppers stack up against the browns, but the white habanero peppers are supposed to be quite hot too.

dvg

Sofar, I have found the (Peruvian) Whites/White bullets remarkably difficult to germinate and "raise" into, ahem, fruition. My attempts have been underwhelming sofar without exception. Most of the seeds were duds, or became tiny seedlings that perished suddenly.
Then again maybe I do something wrong.

On the other hand, some of my choco habs last year turned into large, bushy, vigorous plants. Not much in the way of a good yield though (unlike the fatalii's, which bore 100+ fruits each).

But boy were these chocs ever hot. CRAZY hot, when picked straight from the plant.

Beautiful color, too.

Best from Amsterdam !

I'm not sure if the Choc. Bhut is the same as the Trinidad Congo, but the Congos I got from AJ were amazingly hot. I turned 3 pounds of it into powder and 1 pound is chopped and in the freezer. I was stunned when I popped a huge Congo in my mouth and started eating it like candy. I must have thought it would have the heat of a store bought orange hab. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the remaining 1 pound of chopped Congo.

Back