• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chocolate Habanero

So i am growing this for the first time and i have a pod starting to ripen and it is turning red. Is this normal, will it then change to brown or has there been a mixup in seeds somehow?  i grew the jamaican hot chocolate last year and overwintered for this year and those pods go from green straight to brown. It's not a big deal i am just curious from everyone else's experiences. I can take a pic on my lunch in a bit if they are needed.

thanks,

Mine are turning red this season, too. If there's supposed to be a red intermediate between green and brown, that's a first for me. In other years, all of mine have turned straight from green to brown.

Here's a few peppers I picked last night.

The chocolate habs go from dark green to brown. The two red ones up front were seeds saved from last year's choco habs as well. Those also went from dark green to red and have a bunch of oil in them. The only other plant I grew last year with red pods was Caribbean, which go from light green to red. I guess a cross and I'll grow these red hot chocolates next year due to the high oil content.

Genetikx said:
Here's a few peppers I picked last night.

The chocolate habs go from dark green to brown. The two red ones up front were seeds saved from last year's choco habs as well. Those also went from dark green to red and have a bunch of oil in them. The only other plant I grew last year with red pods was Caribbean, which go from light green to red. I guess a cross and I'll grow these red hot chocolates next year due to the high oil content.

Hmmm interesting on the cross i bet that will be good.  

Ok here is a couple of pics of the pepper.

20150730_123440_zps1ymt7c5f.jpg

20150730_121744_zpsanmvda7a.jpg

Mine are clear, never had a green phase.... Assuming they'll stay clear....

Temps have been causing flower drop and/or something's been pulling them off before they get pollinated....

SavinaRed said:
Here are what my chocolate habaneros look like.

Yeah that is pretty close to what my jamaican hot chocolates look like.  Like Stoney's said above probably a red hab, thanks for posting the pics.

Back