• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chocolate habs

I have not been able to germ a single chocolate habanero seed! What the hell? Tried germing in jiffy greenhouse(heat pad/no heat pad), cup full of seed starter,on a wet paper towel and nothing! Am I missing something?

Some Chinense can be a little stubborn. Could be you have old seed or they are just taking their dandy ol' time for you. If you need fresh seed, let me know.

I thought about getting seed from a different source! All my other seeds from pepperjoes germed. Including bhuts, 7pots, and trinidads. I really want to try the chocolates but growing impatient. I would love to try yours. How would I go about it? New member here

Some seeds are just no good, no matter the source. I have tried 15 Yellow 7s from THSC, and got zero. They are a reputable company that everyone knows and loves, but just got a bad batch. It happens.

yeah, I had a few of the jamacian hot chocolate habs from amazon (hinterlands comp.) a few from tomatogrowers.com (which did really well on seed germ on everything else I had from them) for brown habs, and from bakers peppers the chocolate hab hybrids I got from the pods and the seeds he sent me... and there might be one other that I forgot about, but the point is they are all kind of a pain to get going.. most of them just took a lot longer than the other ones, but I have had a few come up semi quickly.. but it is kind of more uncommon it seems

I started 6 choc habs from Refining Fire; got 5/6 to sprout.
Took 8-15 days, and they tended to sprout all at the same
time in the germination cells. Of the 5 that sprouted, I have
4 decent seedlings - one was very small and weak. Go figure.

My family of chocolate habs rarely gets anything but 100% germ. They are also extremely robust plants with insanely hot fruit. My mother plant will be four years old this year and seems to be coming out of overwintered hibernation nicely yet again.

If you want some of my OP seed from last year, PM me and you can SASBE. I'll throw in a bunch of other stuff if you want, too. Look at my grow list, and just let me know what interests you. If I have seed to spare (and didn't plant it all) I'll send some your way.

I had a similar experience with hinterlands. I ordered two packets of jamaican chocolate habs, and despite having three full trays of other seeds that germinated just fine, the two baggies of choc habs completely failed. I emailed hinterlands, and she offered me my money back, or replacement seeds... I took the replacement seeds (she sent extras as well). my jiffy green houses are full of other seed right now... But I'll be giving these a go in a few days most likely. Hopefully these go better than the last batch.

I'd suggest contacting her... If she has a bad seed source, then she needs to figure it out so she can do something about it.

I had a similar experience with hinterlands. I ordered two packets of jamaican chocolate habs, and despite having three full trays of other seeds that germinated just fine, the two baggies of choc habs completely failed. I emailed hinterlands, and she offered me my money back, or replacement seeds... I took the replacement seeds (she sent extras as well). my jiffy green houses are full of other seed right now... But I'll be giving these a go in a few days most likely. Hopefully these go better than the last batch.

I'd suggest contacting her... If she has a bad seed source, then she needs to figure it out so she can do something about it.

hmm, very interesting, I got some nagas and... I think 7 pots from them, and they germinated super fast, I will have to check to see how many of the chocolates I actually germinated, I will be transplanting all of them on tuesday, so I will check then, thanks for the heads up, I ordered them a while ago, but it would be cool to get some more seeds, I was looking for the Jamaican hot chocolates that have the "smokey" flavor, so hopefully I have a few of these popped up, if not then I'll contact them

thanks again

I actually got mine from a member here and my choc. Habstook there long sweet time but all are doing great =] I hope you can wake em up

I got some chocolate habs from refining fire and from ajijoe, both seeds suppliers with great reps. I had other seeds from both of them that germinated great. of the first 23 varieties of peppers I started, two were the chocolate habs from those sources, and I didn't get a seed to germinate until day 20. I got one from each. My rates for most everything else were great. No idea what happened. So, you're not alone. I'll keep waiting on my until I run out of room from other plants and need to transplant. Who knows, I might get some more yet.

I've started germinating 10 chocolate habaneros from pepperlovers 3 days ago. I'll let you know if they sprout.

Just looked back at my records. I got 100% germination this year, with the first plant emerging eight days after planting.

Back