• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting chsy83's first pepper ferment

I have made a few "fresh pepper" sauces that I like, but I thought that it was time for me to venture into the fermented side of sauce making.  I had a gallon freezer bag full of Douglah (red offspring) that I got from pepperlover in her buy 3 get 6 free special that she had going on, plus some assorted other peppers.  I ended up putting just about everything red in my freezer in this, save a small bag of brains and inca red drops.  1 gallon bag of red douglahs, 1 quart bag of bih jolokia, 1 quart bag of TSBTs, and 5 individual bhut jolokias.

The pile of peppers:
11799768513_d6a55c3f23_b.jpg

They are resting on a pizza pan (the kind that has holes in it).  These went in my Brinkman smoker for ~3hrs w/hickory.  They then were put through a rough chop in the blender with arnd 4 cups of 5% brine solution, two tbsp of agave nectar, and then mixed with a vial of white labs Lactobacillus sp.  This mixture was then funneled into a one gallon glass carboy, bunged and airlocked.

11799768163_eb6aa8103f_b.jpg

Put the yellow through the food mill last weekend, and froze 2.25 gallons of what I am calling Yellow sauce base.  Still deciding on how to finish it all, but thinking of putting the 0.25 into a barbecue sauce.
As I was food-milling, the smell was awesome . . . like a barbecue . . . or a cookout, as it was called where I grew up.  I think the smoke and the onions combined to give that smell, so it seems like this will lend itself naturally to a barbecue sauce.

Back