• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Climate Change

Jase4224 said:
Solid7.. I never said you quoted the percentage of water on earth. The quote was copied from only126db's response.

And no I'm not interested in arguing either. In fact I agree with the rest of what you have to say.

only126db I apologise if my response seems to be putting you down that is not how I meant it.
Didnt think you were, was just saying what scientists say about water coverage which varies by source but generally it is estimated to have been covered by 97% give or take a couple percentage points.

Many claim air pollution is what is causing global warming and thus the planet to die but it is a natural occurrence, surely pollution attributes to a more rapid demise but I believe it is more the mass of bodies, heat generated by daily life and the destruction of living organisms on Earth that is causing the 'warming' more so than air pollution otherwise we would see larger and more localized examples of destruction.

Mans carelessness for the environment by mechanical means (deforestation etc) is likely more destructive than by air pollution, but they have to now account for the physical damage by limiting the damage done via air pollution to be able to keep up the mechanical destruction to vegetation and living organisms.

The EPA are pressing for more air pollution reg's than any other form of pollution mitigation, look at Obama's recent Clean Power Plan for power plants to reduce Carbon which they attribute as being the main contributor to 'global warming'.

"With strong but achievable standards for power plants, and customized goals for states to cut the carbon pollution that is driving climate change" <---- no mention of our deforestation, Obama talks about other countries but it's as if we dont shred our forests and everything is due to my 2 stroke engine or because my catalytic converter has x in it instead of y...I live with forests all around me and it makes me sick when I go to go fishing and the land is bare and torn up from logging...

Now I am no scientist so I can only comment on what I dont know....

LocalFart said:
I live in Australia and we're in like a 20 year drought at the moment, on the plus side, We've had the longest and coldest winter in years this year and our summer is only getting a few hot days above 45C/113F :D
I am so very sorry for what is happening in your country.  Have read much.  You guys used to be one of the largest producers of rice.  There is a movie, Tomorrow the War Begins.  I think it is ironic.  It is set in Australia.  The plot is that there is horrible climate change and your country is invaded because it is one of the largest producers of food.  Ye, that would be horrible too but the irony that you guys are now stuck in drought is unreal

I appreciate all of the input from you guys. I would like to point out that what I was looking for is the local observations that we backyard gardeners and small farmers have seen in the past 10 or 20 years. 
Basically, has the weather changed? Gotten hotter or cooler? Seasons not quite right? Or, has everything been consistent weather-wise in your area? 
In this thread, I am not interested in the politics or how to interpret the science. Just what you see with your own eyes in your home area.

The climate has been changing since every single one of us has been alive.  Not the last 10 or 15 years.  That's with no politics or science considered.

I have lived in 3 different parts of the country in the last 20 years.  It's the same story, everywhere I go.  If I don't know firsthand, the Old Farmer's Almanac usually gives me some better insight.

President Trump your right I just re read your original post and I did go off topic.

I grew up in the northern most region of Victoria in a town called Mildura that was for a period known to be one of the largest producers of table grapes and citrus in the country. All of the water was irrigated from the Murray river. In the last 15 years or so this water source has been under threat from too much water being removed. It's Australia's longest river yet it was going to be completely drained to water our crops if the government did not begin strict regulations for usage. The problem is that summers are getting hotter and it barely rains at all anymore, not even in winter. So much land has been cleared for crops but is now useless because the farmers have had to sell the water rights to that land just to get by. One year not long before I moved away we had 7 days of 40+ degrees Celsius in a row.

I now live in Western Australia, just south of Perth and people are saying that it's raining less with less water going into catchments. This year it has rained a lot but according to the radio we will get scorched this summer.

The northern half of the country still gets a lot of rain but crazy weather events seem to be more common and severe.

I think someone has been adding soil to my garden at night, and the plot thickens.....

Really though, oct 7th the weather was looking great for at least 14+ days in North Missouri, now we are expecting 31 degree temps tonight....  we "were" expecting 34 degree temps only 2 hours ago
Definitely bringing in my single lonely bucket Jalapeno plant in tonight, poor guy, all Mr. Jalap asks for is 85 degree days and 70 degree nights =P

Towlieee said:
Really though, oct 7th the weather was looking great for at least 14+ days in North Missouri, now we are expecting 31 degree temps tonight....  we "were" expecting 34 degree temps only 2 hours ago
I have gotten to the point where I am checking the weather report about twice a day.  The moment it says frost, I am out closing up the high tunnel and picking everything I can get done before morning.  I think of October as borrowed time.

Here in zone 6b, our average last frost is October 15. The closest we are going to get to a frost is on Friday morning and that is still 10 degrees above frost. From that point on it is just going to get warmer for about the next week. 

Attachments

• Weather.jpg
    Weather.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 49
5b Madison area got light frost last night.(after also having a wonderful looking 15 day outlook) I cut plants back hard to hopefully encourage ripening the last fruits. I won't carry buckets into the garage for long.

Global warming doesn't necessarily mean 1 area will get hotter than normal, it means global temperatures on average is higher than normal. So some places will have higher temperatures while other areas will have lower that will overall average to a higher than baseline temperature for the entire earth. That being said, it depends on where you live. Some people will benefit while others will not.

The weather is a highly dynamic system where just increasing the temperature slightly can have much more effects on things we don't realize like wind, rain fall, humidity etc. etc. so it will be hard to say exactly who will benefit or suffer 

More over, there's a difference between weather and climate. Please watch this short explanation 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBdxDFpDp_k

Regardless, there is also a lot of bullshit out there regarding climate change and pseudo-science, both pro and anti man made global warming.

We are just going to have to bear with it for a few years, until both extremes get proven wrong, and the sensible middle will prevail. By that time, we will be scare mongering over something else, though... *sigh*

AJ Drew said:
I have gotten to the point where I am checking the weather report about twice a day.  The moment it says frost, I am out closing up the high tunnel and picking everything I can get done before morning.  I think of October as borrowed time.
This is my first year growing, but since I've been riding motorcycles for around 12 years daily, I've always had a habit of checking the weather like 10 times a day LOL....  Now that I grow, it's another reason to check it :)  

I've been to Italy where you can view mosaics from the Roman impire that are 20 feet under water. Pyramids of of the cost of Japan that are 50 under water. The earth has been warming for a long time. Long before humans inhabited the planet.

Jacobt said:
I've been to Italy where you can view mosaics from the Roman impire that are 20 feet under water. Pyramids of of the cost of Japan that are 50 under water. The earth has been warming for a long time. Long before humans inhabited the planet.
There has never been enough anchored ice on Earth to cause that kind of submersion. That would be caused by landmass shift. While I can appreciate your point, it's not climate changed that caused that, in particular.

AJ Drew said:
I am so very sorry for what is happening in your country.  Have read much.  You guys used to be one of the largest producers of rice.  There is a movie, Tomorrow the War Begins.  I think it is ironic.  It is set in Australia.  The plot is that there is horrible climate change and your country is invaded because it is one of the largest producers of food.  Ye, that would be horrible too but the irony that you guys are now stuck in drought is unreal

When I go camping or up to my families farm I drive past alot of rural farms that are just dried up and baron. the hardest part is seeing the livestock battling to make it through the summers, also the suicide rates increasing amongst farmers is getting really bad. Looks like we've weathered the worst for now as it appears to be getting better.

But yeah Australia would be the place to  be in a "Tomorrow when the war begins" scenario, most of the place is farmland or is covered with edible wildlife :P Kangaroo isn't as bad as it looks

President Trump said:
I know that there is a lot of debate on whether or not the planet is warming. Also, if it is warming is it a natural phenomenon or cause by man. 
My opinion is that the planet is getting warmer. I believe that it is a naturally occurring event that is being accelerated by pollution.
Now, I don't need scientists or politicians or anyone else to tell me that it is absolutely getting warmer. I can make these observations on my own in my own backyard. We are about a week away from the average first frost and we are still in the 80's in the day and the lowest temp for the next ten days will be 45 degrees. Our summers in Northern Kentucky are getting longer each year. 
Our winters are not nearly as snowy and cold as they used to be. Now we just seem to get a lot of snow in a few storms rather than consistent snow throughout the winter. 
Spring still seems to come about the same time, though. A little early some years and little late on others. 
As far as gardening goes, it has been nice having a longer than normal season.
Mosquito and other pest insects seem to be getting worse, though.
What about your area of the planet? Have you noticed any changes since you were a kid?
I'm only talking about your local experiences. I'm not really interested in discussing the satellite images and other data and how to interpret that. Just your own observations.
actually the planet is cooling... you should know that mr trump :)   but in all seriousness it is not warming. its colder than it was 60 years ago. the climate is indeed changing, shifting if you will, but its not warming.

Back