• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Coach's 2016 Glog

I just read my first glog post from last year again and was embarrassed. Last year was the first year I grew peppers from seeds and learned a flipping ton from this site & this site alone, really. I had a lot of experience gardening but there were a lot of tricks to growing peppers from seeds that I had to figure out. Once I dialed it all in, it was smooth sailing. I ended up with 280 plants & 180 varieties in 2015... thousands & thousands of pods and very few problems after they started growing true leaves. Beginner's luck. I grew a lot of things I didn't care for and others that were OK but unspectacular, along with finding some really outstanding varieties. I learned A LOT in the past year- not that I don't have plenty more to learn. A huge thank you to all who have shared seeds with me and given me other advice. 

If I'm being completely honest, I have to admit aesthetics are a huge part of why I enjoy growing peppers. Yes, I like the heat and taste and I consume hot peppers at least once a day, but looks are really important too. Too much of my time is spent looking at pictures of peppers. :) Some of the annuums don't excite me much but are good eating. Besides that, I don't have any that I'm not excited about because of heat/taste and aesthetics. 

GROW LIST
Here is the 2016 Grow List broken down into categories. I planted these (except for annuums) in the past 2.5 weeks and almost every single variety has popped. Some have already developed their 2nd set of real leaves. Also growing a few other special crosses not listed here. 

Yellow Superhots
7 Pot Brain Strain, Yellow
7 Pot Bubblegum, Yellow
7 Pot Primo, Orange (more yellow than orange)
7 Pot Yellow x Bhut Jolokia India Carbon
7 Pot NeBru
Bad Brains
Bhut Jolokia, Creamy Yellow
Bonda ma Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow
Jigsaw, Yellow variant
Nagabrain, Yellow
Scotch Brain, Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga, Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion, Butch T

Red Superhots
7 Pot Brain Strain, Red
7 Pot, Burgundy
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Primo x 7 Pot Yellow
7JPN x Moruga "beefy" pheno
7JPN x Moruga "lantern" pheno
Apocalypse
Bhut Jolokia, Purple
Bhut Jolokia, Red
Bhutlah x 7 Pot Bubblegum
Borg 9, Bleeding Red
Carolina Reaper or more Primos?
Carolina Reaper x 7 Pot Brain Strain
Devil's Brain
Fatalii x 7 Pot Brain Strain
Genghis Khan's Brain
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion x 7 Pot Primo
Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion
Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion x 7 Pot Bubblegum Enlongated
SRTSL
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T x Carolina Reaper (BTR)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T, Red
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga, Red
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga x 7 Pot Bubblegum
Wartryx
Wartryx variant
Yaki Blue Fawn x Carolina Reaper

Orange Superhots
7 Pot Brain Strain, Orange
Arkansas Peach
Bhut Orange Copenhagen
Carolina Reaper, Orange pheno (BPWilly)
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
Naga, King Orange
Pink Tiger

Brown Superhots
7 Pot Brain Strain, Chocolate
7 Pot Bubblegum, Chocolate Enlongated
7 Pot Caramel
7 Pot Douglah x Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
7 Pot Lava, Chocolate
BBM
Bhut Jolokia Mustard
Bhutlah, Brown SLP
Bhutlah, Chocolate (Judy's)
Borg 9, Chocolate
Chocolate Primo Reaper (CPR)
Naga Reaper
Naga, Black
Nagabrain, Chocolate
Naglah, Brown
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga, Brown
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga, Caramel
Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate

Yellow Hab Level
7JPN, pale yellow pheno
Cumari do Para
Habanero, Carolina Yellow
Habanero, Yellow Hand Grenade
Jabba Da Hut (Fatalii x Trinidad Scorpion)
Lil Skaggnasty Yellow (Tepin x Giant White Habanero)
Madame Jeanette
Maraba cross, rounded yellow
Naga x Tabasco Yellow
Petenero
Scotch Bonnet x 7 Pot Jonah, Yellow pheno
Scotch Bonnet, MoA Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow CARDI

Red Hab Level
Bhut Jolokia x Jalapeno
Blushing Dutchman
Chiero Roxa
Habanero, Large Red Belize Market
Habanero, Paper Lantern
Tepin x Lemon Drop
Trinidad Scorpion, Red CARDI
Yaki Blue Fawn

Orange Hab Level
Bahamian Goat
Carbonero
CGN 21500
Habanero, Pumpkin
Maraba cross, pointed orange
Peach Habanero x Trinidad Scorpion
Scotch Bonnet, Peach MA

Brown Hab Level
Scotch Bonnet, Chocolate
Scotch Bonnet, Elysium Oxide
Yaki Rust

White Hab Level
7 Pot White
Lil Skaggnasty White (Tepin x Giant White Habanero)

Baccatums, Annuums & Others
Aji Fantasy
Aji Jobito
Aji Pineapple
Aji Queen Laurie
Aji Teapot, Orange
Aleppo
Ancient Sweet
Bell, Lilac
Bell, Orange
Bell, Yellow
Bishop's Hat
Black Coban
Buena Mulata
Cabai Burung
Centenial
Chiltepin x Reaper
Dilley St. Tamwork
Dulcetta, Orange
Explosive Ember
Filius Blue
Fish
Golden Treasure
Jalapeno, Biker Billy
Jalepeno, Titan
Manzano, Caballo Yellow
Pepperoncini, Stavros
Rainforest
Rocoto, Pineapple
Sabah White frutescens
Shishito
Sugar Rush, Peach
Sukari
Wiri Wiri

I'll add a few, I'm sure but I'm pretty content with what I've started. I'm always interested in dark plants, yellow pods and superhots crossed with small pods so my eyes are still open for a few more. 

Here are some I've started. 
2016-01-02-21-18-07_zpsxscf3atm.jpg

I spent most of today working on this greenhouse with my dad. Almost done. 10'x16' & about 8' tall. I'm pretty pleased with the way it's coming out. 
2016-01-02-21-16-59_zpsxpwnij1t.jpg

coachspencerxc said:
About 2/3 of the peppers & some other junk. I was able to find what would've been about $600 of pavers for free. Salvaged. Business put them down, didn't like them & took them out a few months later.
2016-04-05-01-39-59_zps9tokxucd.jpg

Lighting up the backyard. Only have about 1/4 of the lights outside. Rest are still with plants inside. 
DSC_1415_zpsx9pon30h.jpg

Seattle Blue Wooly Mammoth Tomato. Seeds from Fiogga. 
2016-04-03-14-18-40_zpsijbh4o5x.jpg
Greenhouse looks great Rick.

We're going to need a pic update soon.

Hope all is well.

Chuck

coachspencerxc said:
Thanks. It's been slow going. Pics & update soon. I have all 220 pepper plants in the ground but not much to see. I did eat my first of the year this week- peach sugar rush. Thanks again.
Thanks for the report.

Glad they're all in the ground.

Wishing you the best.

You been running this year?

Trident chilli said:
Rick excellent glog just read from page one .... beautiful photographs with great looking pods. Of all the places in the world I would still like to have a road named " Twelve Mile Creek" .... have a great season and don't over do it with the running
Thanks!
:)
I'm afraid I've been "underdoing" it with the running. 
OCD Chilehead said:
Nice looking pod's.
Thanks. Not much yet, but I figure in 6 weeks I'll be swimming in pods again.

coachspencerxc said:
Just noticed I had about 4 tiny ripe pods on something I planted as Peach Lightning Hab. Really small pods I'd call more orange than peach. About the size of a kidney bean. I ate one in the garden & it provided some nice heat for the first chinense of the year.
Nice! First taste of the season is awesome.

A few photos of the early birds.

The Peach Lightning Hab pods I mentioned above. I'm hopeful the later ones will be normal sized.
2016-06-05-21-38-28_zps1lm1z5ld.jpg

NeBru 7 Pot. Thanks to Trident for seeds.
2016-06-05-21-35-23_zps0jp8xwgg.jpg

Black Cherry Tomatoes picked a day or two early but still good.
2016-06-05-21-37-36_zpsgyzvphee.jpg

These guys destroyed my cabbage & brussels sprouts a few weeks ago. Harlequin bugs. Never seen them before. Cabbage moths wiped all brassicas out last year. Maybe time to give up on them.
2016-06-02-07-03-13_zps6xkrgqog.jpg

Late start for beans.
2016-05-31-20-17-59_zpsxfhhfvgg.jpg

2016-05-31-20-21-40_zpsmrxvhr1z.jpg

Everything looks good Rick.

Sorry to hear about pest problem.

Those Peach Lightning Habs look tasty. They'll be a lot bigger later on.

Chickens are great. If they have a area to roam, the insect population will be reduced. All they do is scratch and eat.

Thanks for the update.

OCD Chilehead said:
Everything looks good Rick.

Sorry to hear about pest problem.

Those Peach Lightning Habs look tasty. They'll be a lot bigger later on.

Chickens are great. If they have a area to roam, the insect population will be reduced. All they do is scratch and eat.

Thanks for the update.
We have them in a big coop 24'x8' for 4 chickens, but only let them out under close supervision. Too many hawks. They often perch right above the coop, but I fortified it pretty well.
dragonsfire said:
Looks like a great new pet :)
Garden looks great too, besides the bugs.
Yeah, my daughter is nuts about them. 
Thanks.

Trident chilli said:
Coach great to see the NeBru7 one of my top three bonnets ... your heat and humidity will really enhance this variety
We've got plenty of that. 94 today & 102 tomorrow... the air thick with humidity. Ugh. Going to the mountains tomorrow for a long run where the high is 74.

Lil Skagnasty Yellow (Tepin x Giant White Habanero) from Jack Skaggs. Very good tasting pepper. Heat didn't seem that much at first but then picked up. Hab level heat. The taste is... spicier than most peppers for lack of a better word. Black pepper kind of spicy. Very enjoyable.
2016-06-10-21-52-26_zpszyfdbrqe.jpg

Chocolate Brain Strain. Seeds from Scorched. Also growing CBS seeds from 96Strat just to compare.
2016-06-10-23-43-52_zpsy3gfidyz.jpg

Berkeley Pink Tie Dye
2016-06-10-21-51-14_zpsrr4yfpb7.jpg

Chickens are not exactly the most willing subjects to photograph.
2016-06-10-23-46-19_zpsvib66wdt.jpg

2016-06-10-23-48-24_zpsb34qarpn.jpg

2016-06-10-23-47-36_zps5m6stbbj.jpg

Just when I was feeling good about my running & the garden work was getting caught up, I came down with a bad case of pneumonia. Ugh. Getting a pod here & there, but still 3-4 weeks before they start rolling in.

Yellow CARDI x Red Bhut. Looks like a small bhut. Wasn't that excited about its looks, but the taste was fantastic. Very sweet!
2016-06-20-21-19-32_zpszelfdjqj.jpg

BOC x Primo. I ate it in a tomato sandwich so didn't pick up on the taste.
2016-06-23-03-20-44_zpsodtd3nxk.jpg

Naga x Tabasco Yellow, Chocolate Scotch Bonnet, Tepin x Giant White Habanero:
2016-06-20-21-20-26_zps5eadnut8.jpg

Chocolate Stripes tomato:
IMG_20160622_211756_zps5vefssh0.jpg

Impossible to get a good garden shot. This is about half of it but you can only see about 1/4.
DSC_1603_zpsr7iszes3.jpg

Look at all that space, looks great.  I would love to have that room.  Unfortunately most of my property is front yard.  I got some of those Nebru's from trident also.  Have 4 plants going but no pods yet or none bigger than a pea anyway.  They look like something I am going to love.   Really like the yellow supers.   Hows that chocolate stripes tomato?  Looks great.   Have become more partial to those nice round ones vs beefsteaks that get grooved and mishapen on the top.   Relly like the darks ones for BLTs.   I cut my tomatoes back this year only have 8, they all were dead last year by this time from non stop rain.  This year its been super dry and they look great so far, but that could change quickly.

Beautiful garden Rick. I like the looks of the cardi x Bhut. Glad to hear it tastes good. I didn't know there was a Naga x Tabasco yellow. I grew some red ones last year. Kicking myself for not growing this year.

Great pics.

I hope you feel better. You seem to get hit with something every year.

Get well.

Back