• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Cold country, small balcony, grow accordingly 2020

Hello and a warning: this is going to be boring and small grow located in finland, mainly for keeping record.

This is my 4th or 5th season and 2nd in the same appartment. I have a small windowed balcony facing so, that in the summer sun hits it from ~12 to late evening between 18-22 if I remember correctly.

Last summer I had 2x aji fantasy, 2x harold st bart as main plants, then amashito wild and moruglah in a more shady spot. Results were nice for aji fantasies, got around 2kg overall from them and maybe 500+g from harolds. This year I'm not going to waste space with  chinenses, the conditions just aren't there.

This years grow will be:
2x Challuaruro
2x Jalapeno orange spice
1x aji fantasy x harold st bart (if seeds viable, own cross)
1x spanish giant.

I have a tent for germinating and getting to summer, 120x60x180 sized, so 2'x4'x6'. Seeds will hit the rockwool next week, will put out pics then. My growlight is solux twin 2x55 tubes, 6400k and around 10 000 lumens.
Basicly plan is, rockwool -> coco coir with maybe perlite/vermiculite, final pots will be pots with water reservoir below, acts kinda like passive hydro with coco. 

IMG_20200105_104734.jpg

That is my now 3yo starfish.

edit what is the best way to up pics? can I upload them to place X and embed link here?

KZIhYjj.jpg
GE42MY1.jpg

And then there were 14. Threw away 8 seedlings.
Got great germination rates expect for spanish giant, got 2 that are barely alive, one is in the first milk carton on the right, other behind the red one, can't be seen.
They are a mess, until I get a table.

So now theres left:
3x jalapeno orange spice
3x challuaruro
2x spanish giant (hopefully)
2x aji fantasy x harold st bart F1 (ones with a bit of true leaves)
2x montufal
2x dalle khrusani.

edit. Put them in coco coir with clay pebbles on bottom for drainage.

Looks like you are going to have a pepper grow, Risto!

Those cartons make good first containers, nice and
deep for good root development!

What are you feeding them?

PaulG said:
Looks like you are going to have a pepper grow, Risto!

Those cartons make good first containers, nice and
deep for good root development!

What are you feeding them?
Im feeding them 2 component nutritient, one has nitrogen and calcium and other The rest. I Make a stock liquid and then dilute to feeding water.

First leaves growing kinda slowly, perhaps made too mild feeding water. Better that way though.
Easy to fix when they get dry enough to water

Ill keep talking to myself and asking questions. I am thinking about mixin Coco coir with some other more nutritious Soil, what do you veterans recommend? Was thinking bout 60%coco 30% Soil x and 10% Clay pebbles or perlite

You can jsut use straight cocoa with some perlite, A lot depends on what type of fertz you use, With cocoa you will fertilizer a little more than say all soil.I only add cocoa to soil to help restain water little more since i live in the sub tropical weather.

Joshuap2000 said:
You can jsut use straight cocoa with some perlite, A lot depends on what type of fertz you use, With cocoa you will fertilizer a little more than say all soil.I only add cocoa to soil to help restain water little more since i live in the sub tropical weather.
Yeah I know I van go Coco only, have done so every year. I would just like to try out some Soil that is kinda "alive". If it affects growth/taste whatevs.
My thinking is, do ferts have all the things needed for optimal growth, you know, little things.

Good questions. I'm not sure I've satisfied
myself that I have found any answers. I am
leaning toward less fertilizer use, and adding
worm castings, bone meal, fish meal, etc to
my soil when i plant out for Summer.  In the
indoor portion of my grow, I use a Silicate
of some kind, and some of General Hydro-
ponics Rapid Start, with an occasional feed-
ing of mild fish fertilizer.

Good luck getting your questions answered.

P.S. I only use a good quality potting soil, so
can't say much about coco use. My system
might suck for that.

I was thinking about adding some compost maybe? Just a little extra from the nature not from a fert can that came from a production line

Things are going great, expect for one thing.

Bought a House, with small backyard and balcony too, just not windowed.
Cant get a greenhouse for coming summer If at all, not that big of a yard.
Need to think of a way to protect plants from cold summer nights..

CaneDog said:
Congrats on the new home, Inoks!   Maybe a cold frame or a small tunnel/ hoop house?
Could be a good idea. Currently thinking about spending first summer getting to know the yard and good sunny spots, making use of "frost gauze" (hallaharso) and just winging IT and hoping for The best

Hey, Risto. I think the frost blanket/cloth is a
great idea for you space-challenged grow.
Easy enough to put on and remove. You
could always double it. 

Even putting an incandescent lightbulb (think
christmas lights) under it might keep things
warm enough.

See Stc3248's 2012 grow log for a look at
how he did it, (and with upside down containers,
as well.) 

PaulG said:
Hey, Risto. I think the frost blanket/cloth is a
great idea for you space-challenged grow.
Easy enough to put on and remove. You
could always double it. 

Even putting an incandescent lightbulb (think
christmas lights) under it might keep things
warm enough.

See Stc3248's 2012 grow log for a look at
how he did it, (and with upside down containers,
as well.)
That'll do this year, imma check out that glog.

Jalapeno orange Spice already branching? If thats The right term.. you know splitting :D
All of em growing faast

Attachments

• IMG_20200203_064406.jpg
    IMG_20200203_064406.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 80
Inoks said:
Jalapeno orange Spice already branching? If thats The right term.. you know splitting :D
All of em growing faast

That early forking means a bushy plant!

I always take that as a good thing  :lol:

Back