• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Colibrí

Colibrí

Manufacturer: Colibrí Pepper Company, L. L. C.

Ingredients: Vinegar, Chile Peppers, Salt and Xanthan Gum (a thickener)

Colibrí is like no sauce I’ve seen to date. It’s as bright yellow as anything I’d ever ingest, and it’s very thin. I can’t imagine how thin it was before the xanthan gum was added. It’s thicker than water, but not much – it reminds me of the consistency of a soup stock. The bottle has a restrictor fitment, which is necessary, but (and I’m not even sure these exist) it could use a larger opening. I find that I use a moderate amount of Colibrí with my meals, and with the small opening in the fitment, it requires a fair amount of shaking.

The label is great - very professional. The hummingbird on the front is a little confusing at first, but a visit to the web site clears that up. In any case, it’s an interesting look – so many hot sauces adorn their label with imagery of peppers, fire, snakes and dragons; it’s an attention-grabbing and welcome change.

Colibrí’s scent is strong of vinegar and perfume chinense, reminiscent of ají dulce. I’ve never had any other varieties of perfume chinense, so it’s the closest thing I can compare it to. For those unfamiliar, it’s got the sweet and fruity scent of yellow or orange habaneros, but with no detectable heat, and coupled with the vinegar, it brings out a tanginess that normally is very subtle.

I’m afraid to spoon taste this sauce, as the vinegar is so strong. Last time I spoon tasted Tabasco, I gagged, and this seems about on the same scale. In any event, the spoon tastes I do are more of a goof than anything. Hot sauce is not intended to be eaten straight. A spoon test doesn’t really show the true character of the sauce, and what it can do to a meal. I’m skipping the spoon on this one.

So far, I’ve had Colibrí with a number of meals. To date, my favorite is easy tamale casserole, followed closely by tacos. Sloppy joes and soup is also great. Colibrí states, “This sauce will impart its unique flavor to enhance soups, sauces, red beans and rice, gravy and gumbo.” I think they’re pretty spot on. It lends itself amazingly to bean dishes, and to ground beef dishes. Outstanding on Mexican fare (as you’d imagine), it’s also fantastic as a salad dressing, and great on french fries. I wanted to try it on fish & chips, but I’m almost out. It doesn’t go with everything, though. The vinegar is a little too strong to just have with boiled chicken and steamed veggies, unless you’re in the mood for a nice acidic kick in the pants. You’ll want to save this one for really hearty, heavy meals, or soups and stews. It was suggested I try Colibrí on spaghetti, and I honestly meant to, but it never happened. I can imagine that it would be quite good on a pasta dish, with maybe brown gravy or a meat sauce… Oh yeah, that’s the stuff…

One of the reasons I think I like Colibrí so much is that I don't have to be in the mood for heat to use it. It's mild enough where I can use it all the time. Granted, I'm often in the mood for heat, so it isn't a huge problem, but it's nice to have a little breather every once and again. And, as clearly stated on the bottle, this is a "Pepper Sauce." Not a hot sauce. Big ups, Colibrí. You successfully challenged my preconceptions of what a sauce made from peppers was supposed to taste like.

Compared to the majority of hot sauces out there, this one is more like Tabasco than most, with its strong vinegar base and mild heat. It stands to reason that the name of the sauce, like Tabasco, is simply the name of the pepper that they use in it. It’s simple, and it clearly works for McIlhenny. Colibrí isn’t a replacement for Tabasco, and I don’t think it intends to be. It’s more of a companion. Colibrí will work on foods where Tabasco just doesn’t, and vice versa. I’d like to see Colibrí on restaurant tables, right next to the Tabasco. But then again, I’d like to see restaurant tables host a Lazy Susan of hot sauce selections. But hopefully, with the right exposure and marketing, it’ll find its rightful place.

Flavor: 8/10. The flavor is awesome, but the vinegar is too strong to be used universally. While the intention is not to be a “general purpose” sauce, I have to dock some points for the somewhat excessive use of vinegar. I’d do the same if I was reviewing Tabasco (which I wouldn’t rate higher than a 5/10, for comparison).

Heat, from Nada to Naga: 2/10. I found it to be around the same heat as Tabasco, or maybe even milder, but maybe it’s the juxtaposition of the sweetness that makes me think it’s not as hot. The other people who I’ve had try it say it’s definitely hotter than Tabasco. If it is, it’s not by much. That said, I may have skewed my gauge for heat this summer with all the fresh peppers. I’ll probably recover. Eventually.

Overall: 8/10. Always, I try to remember to judge these sauces based on what they are, not what I want them to be. I like the flavor very much, and as much as I’d like if it went with EVERYTHING, it just doesn’t – and it’s not supposed to. The application is broad, but not total; and what it does, it does VERY well. I’ve begun to think of Colibrí as Tabasco’s freaky cousin (the family resemblance cannot be denied). And like its very popular cousin, Colibrí is targeted for mass consumption, literally.

Attachments

• colibri.jpg
    colibri.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC01812sm.jpg
    DSC01812sm.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 212
Thanks,

Thanks for the great review. It was worth the wait. Incidentally, yours is the first review of Colibri - ever. So far I have the sauce on the tables at four local restaurants but it will have to grow slowly as Gustav annihilated this year's pepper crop. I'll be limited to around 3,500 bottles until next September at the earliest.

On the "hotter than Tabasco" issue, it definitely is a bit hotter - though not really by an awful lot. I do have plans to expand the product line with a hotter version and with a dry spice mix using the same peppers - I just have to try to inexpensively work out some kinks in the dehydration and grinding process.

Colibri

Sorry to hear about the crop, Colibri...

After rereading my review, I felt I didn't emphasize HOW GOOD this sauce is as a salad dressing. On a garden salad, with a grilled lemon pepper chicken breast chopped up on it... Heaven!!!

I strongly suggest whomever ends up with a bottle of this try it on a salad! It's amazing!

**EDIT** Funny, I just noticed the naga hiding behind my bowl in the first picture :)

Colibri said:
Thanks for the great review. It was worth the wait. Incidentally, yours is the first review of Colibri - ever. So far I have the sauce on the tables at four local restaurants but it will have to grow slowly as Gustav annihilated this year's pepper crop. I'll be limited to around 3,500 bottles until next September at the earliest.

On the "hotter than Tabasco" issue, it definitely is a bit hotter - though not really by an awful lot. I do have plans to expand the product line with a hotter version and with a dry spice mix using the same peppers - I just have to try to inexpensively work out some kinks in the dehydration and grinding process.

Colibri

As Klyths wife, I often pick meals that are designed to complement the item he's review. With that in mind, it was a pleasure having the Colibri to consider when picking our dinners. It was very easy to find things that it would go well with and made my life a lot easier than if it had been a more restrictively flavored sauce (like the one with cranberry in it. tasty, but there are only so many turkey dinners you can eat in a week.)
I would definitely purchase dried spices in the flavor vein of the Colibri sauce, and a hotter version would certainly be welcome in our fridge.
On a side note, we finally had it with a pasta dish! Tuesday night we had pasta with parsley pesto and we both put the Colibri on with a little added Fatali Fire, the combo was heavenly.

Colibri said:

Colibri

Do you have any European distributor yet? I'd love to try your sauce although or because it's not that hot. Would go well with a lot of stuff I am cooking for guests and the flavor sounds tempting to me, too! A "hotter, more taste Tabasco" (sorry) doesn't sound too bad to me! :)

Chiliac said:
Do you have any European distributor yet? I'd love to try your sauce although or because it's not that hot. Would go well with a lot of stuff I am cooking for guests and the flavor sounds tempting to me, too! A "hotter, more taste Tabasco" (sorry) doesn't sound too bad to me! :)

Sorry, no European distributor yet (or, actually, anywhere in the near future. But, I'll ship just about anywhere. There's contact info on the website.

Sounds like you have a very interesting sauce there Colibrí and taste sounds very well thought out,Would not mind that with a few chicken dishes i do,Great Review to Klyth :)

I just got my bottle last night. Man, Klythe, your pics don't do the blinding color of this sauce justice. I seriously said to myself "great. i think i just bought a woozie full of grapefruit juice".

I know!!! I tried to address that immediately, but you're right. My camera isn't the best.

Try it on a salad, soon!

Ok, now that i've tried it, i know why i LOVE it. Actually, i knew i'd love it just by the smell of it because i recognized it immediately. 5 little words says why:

TRUE JAMAICAN YELLOW SCOTCH BONNETS

That's the peppers in this sauce. And whats really nice about it is unlike other TJSB sauces, this one is thin and has no seeds. All the other ones i've tried, including some homemade stuff from the local West Indian markets and cafes here is it's thickened up until it has the consistency of chunky paste.

Klyth says put it on salad. he's dead right about that. i would suggest adding some grilled chicken breast to the salad as well. A most excellent sauce indeed.
Cheers!

Back