• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Collecting Hot Sauce

Collecting Hot Sauce Poll

• Total voters
huntsman said:
Where can I get some, mate? I would love to try one and collect a second! :lol:

There are 4 collector bottles residing in Fourways, South Africa. At least last I heard.

As for the collector bottles, we are sold out of all of them, but have a handful of the Batch#5's remaining. With the economy the way it is, many people just didn't have the disposal coin to make expensive purchases of collector bottles. We won;t be putting out another "Batch" release until next year, when hopefully the economy gets a little better (not that I have too much hope that it will, but hey stranger things have happened).

imaguitargod said:

Nah, must be in SA, as I don't believe in credit cards and overseas payments are impossible as a result. :(

DEFCON Creator said:
There are 4 collector bottles residing in Fourways, South Africa. At least last I heard.

Fourways is a tiny suburb of Johannesburg and is where my gift shop is located! Any chance these bottles are for sale? (Or is it a private collector?)

sofar i dont have any empty bottles do display. but when i do i might find a cozy little courner to put them. kinda like a body count. to show off which i have survived a whole bottle of.

Ha, I still have my empty bottle from my first real hot sauce...the classic Dave's Insanity from the Christmas 1996 gift of the Asylum Gift Pack. :D

I've started collecting the empty bottle after I have eaten the sauce. Mainly because hot sauce bottles have really cool looking labels on them and I know that soon I would have forgotten how many I have tried and which ones they were so it would be good to look back at them to see.

I may keep a few unopened ones though if they are special or signed etc. or just to see how the label contrasts with the sauce (does change colour over the years though). Of course you want to eat them but as most people say you can buy 2, one to eat and one to keep. It is just something interesting to look at.

I don't see the problem with wanting to collect hot sauces if that is what you want to spend your money on then fine. When you have had enough of it you can pass/sell it onto someone else.

I like to collect then consume. I see a sauce on vacation i pick it up, take home,put on the sauce shelf for later consumption. If it's really good I order more from company, usually on line.

I collect hot sauces because it makes me happy. Kinda like some people collect baseball cards... (they're "only" cardboard, right?) I look at each one as a unique, little work of art.

I buy in lots, use eBay, and have never paid full price....even for the rare ones.

I love love LOVE hot sauce....I even make my own special batch yeach year with the chilies I've grown. So, I say, you can be both a collector AND a consumer. (You just have to have a bit more discipline so as not to break open a $300 bottle of extract to make a pot of chili!!)

I have about a dozen "collector" bottles with wax tops that are unopened. 40-50 bottles are usually open and "in rotation", and 100+ empties that I display.

Just got asked for pictures on the other thread as well :) Guess I'll have to take pictures. Relatively new to this hobby (been eating hot foods my whole life, but the collecting part is new), didn't realize how many people are interested.

I must say that that collecting something that someone took great pride in producing, that is exclusive and one of a kind , from a person or company that I admire brings a lot of satisfaction to me. I am a collector as well as a consumer. It is also a way to support people in their business that deserve supporting. Yes, the reserves are for collecting but if there ever comes a day when there is no more sauce left then you will thank us collectors out here because we will still have some. :hell:

Yeah, I basically just put the empty bottle on my shelf once all the sauce is consumed. The bottle doesn't leave my fridge until it's empty though.

Whatever I buy I consume. But I just purchase off the shelf and don't think any of them are collectibles. Empties go in the recycling bin. I don't need more stuff to dust!

Whatever I buy I consume. But I just purchase off the shelf and don't think any of them are collectibles.

It's funny how the "common" items in the world are what typically become the rare and the most highly sought after. For example, an original bottle of Blair's Death Sauce is extremely hard to find.....as is an original bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce. These two specimens sell for 20-25X the original price.(IF you can find them!)

Many hot sauce labels go through several incarnations and variations. Case in point, I have 4 bottles of El Yucateco Red Chile Habanero.....and they're ALL different.

Here's another example:

100_3336.jpg

Would I open those first two and use it? HELL NO. The "sauce" inside probably turned a decade ago! But I bet any collector would love to have them. ;)

By the way, Creator....

I now own four Batch #4's......if you know of anyone looking for one! :cool:

I just bought some of the El Yucateco Red Chile Habanero last weekend. Very tasty. So the older versions are collectibles?

Back