• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Colour change?

Quick question...

Does every chilli change colour when ripe? I have some unknown peppers growing and the pods seemed to have reached full size and have been for a few weeks without any signs of a colour change!

Do I just leave them longer and see or pick one and eat it! I dont know how much longer i can wait!

Have patience, they will ripen. There are only a couple types of bell pepper that ripen green, everything else will change colors

But you always may be interested in tasting unripe pods too. I do always eat some green pods and some ripe.

Green eating

It's quite funny, in SA there are normally two types of Chillies, red and Green (I mean in the supermarkets) and recipe's call for the use of either, But the green Chillies are actually the unripe red ones, and the general claim is that the green are hotter.
I usually find they taste a lot more like folige...
Just an interesting bit of info.

Ciao

One type is called "staysgreen" and they say it tastes like a red bell when green, but I just can't see it.

serrano said:
im waiting for peppers to ripe as well and it seems forever! :P

No doubt. I've had Caribbean Reds for well over a month and for the past week or more they've been lighter colored with touches of red in them, making me think they're going to turn any day now and they just won't!

wurge said:
Quick question...

Does every chilli change colour when ripe? I have some unknown peppers growing and the pods seemed to have reached full size and have been for a few weeks without any signs of a colour change!

Do I just leave them longer and see or pick one and eat it! I dont know how much longer i can wait!

Surely you have more than one pod so go ahead and eat one; I won't tell a soul, promise. :)

Does this apply to jalapeno's as well? I noticed the ones I'm growing start off purplish and then turn to dark green and that's when I pick them. If I didn't pick the green ones would they then turn to red? If so are the red ones better for chipotle peppers?

LGHT said:
Does this apply to jalapeno's as well? I noticed the ones I'm growing start off purplish and then turn to dark green and that's when I pick them. If I didn't pick the green ones would they then turn to red? If so are the red ones better for chipotle peppers?

Ye, Jalapenos ripen to red....I think they taste the best that way.

POTAWIE said:
One type is called "staysgreen" and they say it tastes like a red bell when green, but I just can't see it.

So... how can you tell when it's ripe - besides tasting it?

My long choc habs are stuck in half-ripe mode for what seems like forever. I'll have 5 of them soon though. Soooon my pretties!

I've never had jala's red, but I've seen people talking about them here as being better for poppers that way. I'm going to resist picking a few and let them ripen up cause I want to give them a try that way.

Blister said:
I've never had jala's red, but I've seen people talking about them here as being better for poppers that way. I'm going to resist picking a few and let them ripen up cause I want to give them a try that way.

Once you try a ripe one, you'll feel like it's a sin to pick one green! But like most sins, you'll still enjoy the green ones even though you'll feel dirty:lol:

Ok, back on topic, I still have no colour change? The strain looks alot like banana peppers but im not sure. They start a nice dark green but as they grow they get increasingly yellow. They seemed to have stopped at yellow. Dont know whether to leave or what!

Would a pic help guys?

Back