• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Comfort Food Thread

Searched and found one 7 years ago and instead of activating a necro thread with dead photobucket links I thought might start a new one. Winter here so probably gona do some sweet stuff :D

Had a craving for eggs lately. Rye bread/tomato with a slab of Havarti, Golden berry hot sauce and harissa sauce.

RM03cAj.jpg

That looks awesome! You need one of the plastic baskets with a paper liner, lemons, and slaw... haha...

Whole fried bluegill....KILLER!!!

Grandma never filleted any fish. She felt it was wasteful after living through the Depression years. Bony fish were scored to help reduce the small bones. Pretty much the same way many Asians do with carp. Get the grease/oil good and hot. The small bones just melt. Eating whole bluegill is a tiny bit more work than fillets but i love the flavor. Its pretty easy to strip the cooked meat off the bones and they dont have many small bones to deal with.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Whole fried bluegill....KILLER!!!

Grandma never filleted any fish. She felt it was wasteful after living through the Depression years. Bony fish were scored to help reduce the small bones. Pretty much the same way many Asians do with carp. Get the grease/oil good and hot. The small bones just melt. Eating whole bluegill is a tiny bit more work than fillets but i love the flavor. Its pretty easy to strip the cooked meat off the bones and they dont have many small bones to deal with.
 My Mom has the same feelings of wasting as do I. There's so much flavor in the meat next to the bone. make a Couovion and you'll see what you've been missing. I've filleted catfish so big that if you threw the backbone away it would weigh 5 lbs, that makes a good gravy and it's awesome fried.

On to tonight: Stuffed bells for supper. I didn't take a pick early enough to get the whole dish.
100_11391.jpg

It's in the recipe I followed. Just cayenne and pepper flakes. This is the first time using this recipe but I will say that it needs more spice, maybe some pepper paste in the sauce and diced peppers in the meat mixture. I'll experiment on the next go round because this was a good starter recipe. I like the sideways cut too. Next time I will roast the peppers first and remove the skin before stuffing, the peppers weren't cooked enough for me. I want them soft like a chile relleno.
Check it out!
Scroll down to the second recipe
http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/search?q=Beef+and+Rice+Stuffed+Peppers

me too lol

stuffed peppers
pepper steak
eggplant parm

staple meals growing up :)

I went over board thinking today. I grew up eating tamales from an old grocery store where a Mexican guy sold tamales from a cart outside. It was tradition to stop by on weekends and get real tamales about 10:00 before my Grandfather started BBQ'ing for the family. This was way back when the kids would ride without seatbelts and we finished most of them before we got back to his house.

So for the last week I've been hunting the stuff to make real tamales and realized today that it's a chore. I watched a bunch of youtubes and took a little something from a few and got it going.

I used Pasilla peppers for the red sauce, ground meat to speed up the process and made a nice sauce to steam them in. There's too many details unless someone wants it to list. I just used my Cajun common sense cooking and got it going.

No comments about my 60 year old pot but this is the pasilla sauce  after being fried, Then you can figure out the rest.

I did screw up, I used 2.5# of meat and only made 18 tamales. That meat should've made closer to 3 dozen. The pic with the sauce is a combination of Pasilla and tomato spiced up for the steaming liquid, that's all that was left after cooking for an hour. That last pic is my 3rd and last one, I'm stuffed and happy with the results. After doing all this I will never complain about the price of tamales again!!!
100_1142.JPG

100_1141.JPG

100_1144.JPG

100_11461.jpg

100_11451.jpg

100_11481.jpg

Looks awesome!!!!

Rajun Gardener said:
After doing all this I will never complain about the price of tamales again!!!

Haha! Ain't that the truth. Cookin at home ain't always the way to go... ha! No way I would every attempt falafel for example, would prob spend 30 bucks, it would taste ehh, and I can get a killer one for $7 with fries included. :D

Back