• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Comfort Food Thread

Searched and found one 7 years ago and instead of activating a necro thread with dead photobucket links I thought might start a new one. Winter here so probably gona do some sweet stuff :D

Had a craving for eggs lately. Rye bread/tomato with a slab of Havarti, Golden berry hot sauce and harissa sauce.

RM03cAj.jpg

i made another batch of refrigerator pickles today. had a lot of cucumbers,  gave some away and made these. onion, garlic, sugar, crushed black peppercorn, turmeric, crushed cowhorn/jalapeno pepper flakes and white vinegar. the recipe also calls for celery seed and mustard seed but didn`t have it on hand so i left it out. i slice cukes, onion and garlic and layer them into the jars. i simmer vinegar, sugar and spices just long enough to dissolve sugar and then let it cool to room temperature. adding it to the jars when cool seems to keep the cukes crispier. this batch made 2 jars. 

20190817_151442_resized.jpg

20190817_193328_resized.jpg

I broke out the cast iron and made smothered pork steaks with Navy beans and a cucumber, carrot and lettuce salad. Home cooking 101.

I seasoned the meat and fried it down to get those gremmies/fawn/burnt bits on the bottom of the pot
100-5295.jpg

added onions and a little water to break it loose
100-5296.jpg

added hatch pepper for flavor
100-5297.jpg

added a TBS of roux and simmered on medium low for 40 minutes with the lid on and checking the liquid every few minutes so it doesn't burn, add water if it gets too low.
100-5298.jpg

Finished product, nice thick gravy
100-5301.jpg

NOM NOM NOM!
100-5299.jpg

You want comfort food?

I give you comfort food.

American style goulash.

In cast iron.

Olive oil.

Onions and garlic.

Ground beef.

IMG_2014.JPG

Heaps of paprika.

Crushed tomato.

Bigass elbow macaroni.

IMG_2016.JPG

In cast iron.

IMG_2017.JPG

Throwdown some sharp cheddar.

And mixto.

IMG_2018.JPG

Serve it up in a bowl.

With more sharp cheeseness.

Sour cream.

And mango habanero hot sauceness.

IMG_2019.JPG

This is the kine food.

I ate growing up.

Its the kine food I eat now.

Ono grinds.

Better than sex.

Not really.

But almost.

Thats the kinda shit mom would come up with after reading the latest issue of Better Homes and Gardens. Many of them became "yo ass gunna be home for dinner" meals too. Good cheap one pot meals and everyone was happy. The stuff moms could do with ground beef, a whole chicken and Minute Rice is legendary. Feed the whole family for well under $10 plus leftovers.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Thats the kinda shit mom would come up with after reading the latest issue of Better Homes and Gardens. Many of them became "yo ass gunna be home for dinner" meals too. Good cheap one pot meals and everyone was happy. The stuff moms could do with ground beef, a whole chicken and Minute Rice is legendary. Feed the whole family for well under $10 plus leftovers.

I grok you.

Most folks these days don't cook.

And have never had good food.

From a dear sweet mom.

And this.

If I was late for supper with the family.

I missed it.

And went to bed hungry.

That was a lesson I needed to learn.

Some stuff was just too good to miss for dinner no matter how much fun you were having with friends. Burger, cheesy noodle stuff being one of the top contenders. 1 pot, 1 bowl and 1 spoon. Less cleanup and mo money in dads wallet.

It dont get much betta. Them penny meals helped getcha that new bike sooner and you still loved "whats for dinner". :P

One of moms favorite to make was chicken, Minute Rice, Cream of anything soup, broccoli and some cheese. She started making it more often when we got our first microwave using left over baked chicken. I think i posted this a few pages back but..........Man i love this kind of stuff.
OuVMauT.jpg

I love the idea of selling chickens this way, one pan cooking with no clean up!!

I trussed the chicken and took all of the loose onions and peppers out of the pan to make a bechamel sauce/blonde roux with butter, flour, seasoning and chicken bouillon while the chicken baked for 40 minutes.
100-5500.jpg

100-5505.jpg

Added some stir fry veggies, egg noodles and dumped the gravy then baked it again for 50 minutes.
100-5506.jpg

100-5508.jpg

I cut up the chicken and made a plate. The left over broccoli casserole was better with gravy over it.
100-5511.jpg

100-5510.jpg

100-5512.jpg

that was bechamel till I added chicken powder and seasoning then it changed colors, then added a cup of water to have enough to coat all the veggies but forgot I also added a cup of water and chicken powder to the pan to keep the chicken moist, once I dumped that in the pot it went straight to gravy. I ate left overs for brunch and it was perfect, I thought about adding more water, shred the chicken and make a soup but Na. I'll have the leftover noodles and veggies with the stuffed pork chops I have in the smoker now. :D  :D

Back