• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Comida South America!

For a long time now South American food, esp Peruvian, has held a special place in my heart. Recently i was generously given a gift of a couple of Rocoto sauces from friends overseas. So I thought id start this thread in hopes to learn more about the cuisine and also try my hand a little more often to cook some of their dishes.

tonights dinner is a couple of my Peruvian favorites:

*Anticuchos - Traditionally beef heart is used.... i used blade steak marinated in 1/2C vinegar, 2T Aji Panca paste, garlic, scotch bonnett, oregano, cumin
*Ajiaco de Papas- 1/2 onion diced and sauteed in butter/oil, add 200g of diced halloumi (or queso fresco), add 3T Aji Amarillo paste, 1/2C stock, 1/2C evaporated milk. Stir and mash in 1kg of cooked potatoes.
*Others - Rice, Salsa Criolla (onion) and one of my favorite beers, Cusquena Negra.

2015-01-25%2012.30.30_zpsvhiq7cib.jpg

2015-01-25%2014.00.14_zpsgtgsntvp.jpg

I decided to make good use of the aji pacay I grew this year, and make aji de gallina. I figured the aji pacay would be a natural fit, since it is a subcultivar of aji amarillo. I got off of work late, so I cut some corners, and bought a rotisserie chicken, and chicken stock, instead of a hen and making my own stock. I kept the ingredients basic, so the aji pacay could shine through. I forgot to include the pic of the loaf of bread, but you know what cheap white bread looks like, and what it does to the consistency of the aji, if you look at previous recipes. The aji pacay are as long as a chicken. I made sure to save the seeds of course, for myself, and to share with folks who like to grow peppers. The aji de gallina came out fantastic. My wife let me know that she prefers it with aji amarillo, since it is much sweeter, and less spicy with aji pacay. I'm 50/50 though myself, I like the dish with either pepper.

how spicy is huacaina sauce? 
I'm wondering if I can get her to eat Tallarin Verde(I know she'll eat pesto) con papas a la huacaina.
Maybe a veggie Causa?
she doesn't care for soy sauce, so that nixes alot of the chinese influenced foods.

edit: I think she'll survive, even if I have to drag her in.

Malarky said:
how spicy is huacaina sauce? 
I'm wondering if I can get her to eat Tallarin Verde(I know she'll eat pesto) con papas a la huacaina.
Maybe a veggie Causa?
she doesn't care for soy sauce, so that nixes alot of the chinese influenced foods.

edit: I think she'll survive, even if I have to drag her in.
That is true, papa a la huancaina would be a good vegetarian option, but it's usually an appetizer. It's typically not spicy at restaurants, since they use jarred aji amarillo paste. Tallarin verde would be a good option too, just make sure to tell them not to put chicken or chicken stock in it.

Malarky said:
So my wife is vegetarian, are there any veg dishes that they should have at a restarante peruano cerca de mi?
she's ok with eggs and dairy. Some friends and I are excited to check this stuff out, but I hope there is something she'll like.

Tacu tacu, a Peruvian risotto, usually can be ordered vegetarian, can also get an egg on it, and there's plenty of veggie side orders and perhaps a tamal.

The few Western Peruvian restaurants i have been to, have seemed to make sure there are vegetarian alternatives to good portion of their dishes.

Every person i have seen try tallarines verdes for the first time has eagerly scarfed it down... served with papas a la huancaina is a classic combo... a fried egg on top is not uncommon either.... its quite different to a classic Italian style pesto too...

THP's recommendation of Tacu Tacu wont disappoint either. It can be served with a variety of toppings/ sides, im sure there could be atleast a couple vegetarian options. You wont leave hungry either i can assure you lol

I would probably give the causa a miss though, atleast as a main.... for me personally its the seafood filling that makes it worthwhile.... a vegetarian option for me sounds like it could be a little bland....

just my 2 cents.....

Be sure to post up some pictures of your food  :)  

Back